Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Uber Eats driver tries to steal large order... GETS SERVED

5K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  crowuber 
#1 ·
I drive Eats and other apps but I am also a restaurant consultant. I was working at one of my clients restaurants and one of my client's long time customers called us and told us he wanted to order through Uber Eats and give them a try. In the past, he has his own delivery drivers but uses a catering delivery company for catering orders. So we told him to place it and we would give it a try. Order came up to around $530 which is normal for this customer. Drivers shows up right away. Told him it would be a long wait but offered him lunch. So he sat down and we gave him a nice pasta dish and drink and bread. He was very thankful. Order comes ready and one of the kitchen staff help him put it in his car.

The guy leaves and not even 5 minutes from when he left, the phone rings. Its the customer. He says the order was canceled by the driver. The owner yells to go get him. I jump in my car. Three other kitchen staff jump into their cars. The owner calls 911. One of the kitchen staff caught up to him and texts me and texts everyone else. We find him and block him in at a traffic light. Everyone in their cars was like, "OMG what the heck". I call 911 and the kitchen crew demand the order back from the driver. The driver gets out of car and started to argue with the kitchen crew. Cops show up. It was great! Owner shows up on scene (who is a retired cop and very well-known in the community) and told the cops he wanted to press charges. Uber Eats driver goes in back of the cop car and his car towed.

I cannot disclose where this was because I have a non-disclosure with my client but it was just outside a major city in the northeast. The driver claimed he wanted the food to feed his family. A few days after the incident, we got a copy of the police report and forward it to Uber. Due to Covid, the court date is most likely in November and from my understanding he has been released.

See less See more
#5 ·
Trusting an Uber driver with a $530 order just sounds dumb. Too high of a chance of the driver cancelling because he got lost and frustrated, delivering to the wrong address by mistake, or just wanting to steal the food.
Oh yea firmly agree! I told the owner GH Catering would be a better option. The issue is the catering service charges too much for a guy to show up in a van and deliver so they were chatting about other options.

Whats really messed up is we also fed the guy and had a $30 to $50 tip waiting for him.

#6 ·
It is amazing that I could walk into any restaurant, grab any order for any delivery service, and walk out.
Most places have no one watching, and I walk in grab food and leave.
Of course, there are cameras everywhere, so not going to do it, not that i would anyway.
Just Saying.

#8 ·
It is amazing that I could walk into any restaurant, grab any order for any delivery service, and walk out.
Most places have no one watching, and I walk in grab food and leave.
Of course, there are cameras everywhere, so not going to do it, not that i would anyway.
Just Saying.
I know the owner of a local sushi place from before he opened up the restaurant.

By sheer chance, I happened to get a food delivery order at his place, and when I came to pick it up I was told someone had already came for it. They found out that a driver with another delivery service had stolen it and I waited while they remade the order.

From that point on, the deliveries no longer sit on the counter at his place and they check the phones now to make sure you are picking up the right order.

#12 ·
Told him it would be a long wait but offered him lunch. So he sat down and we gave him a nice pasta dish and drink and bread. He was very thankful. Order comes ready and one of the kitchen staff help him put it in his car.
Usually, I take the driver's part, but, not on this one. The restaurant did something for the driver to compensate for keeping him waiting. In fact, it went beyond doing something for him. The driver should have gotten the idea right there.............but NO-OO! he has to get greedy. What is the downfall of every criminal? GREED.

If I am going to pick up this el huge-O order, common sense tells me that it is going to be worth a couple of bucks. For an order of such a value, I would expect that someone is going to keep tabs on it. While I might not worry about getting chased and caught (I am at a loss to figure out how the kitchen staffer lucked into the driver, but.................................every once in a while, someone does win Powerball.), I am aware that there are tracks. My acceptance of the job is on record. Every establishment has surveillance cameras, these days. My being at the restaurant is on record. This passes over the Fubar Cheats GPS' recording my presence at the restaurant. In this case, you also have the restaurant help's corroboration that I received the order.

Any driver who pulls a stunt with so large an order is begging to get popped. Had this been me, I would have been oh-so--grateful to the restaurant for giving me a free meal. I would have tipped my waitress well, assuming that the manager would allow it. Finally, at the drop-off, I would have photographed the house, photographed me at the front door, photographed the customer's accepting it. For that kind of money, a simple Cover Your [Donkey] is not enough; you must wrap your [donkey] in an American Flag.

This driver should pay a double penalty. One for whatever the law allows and one for STOOOOOOOOPIDDDDD.

#13 ·
What an ungrateful slug! Guy was clearly a first class idiot though. Wouldn't you actually make the drive to the neighborhood, drive around in circles and play dumb, then cancel with one of the available options? It would at least look better than just cancelling right after pickup. He was also incredibly dumb in that he talked to police and admitted, right there on the spot, his guilt and motive. Play dumb and say there was an app error. Otherwise, talk to my lawyer. You think Uber is going to help authorities?! They stonewall unless forced by court order.

I agree with @Trafficat though. Trusting that type of order to the bargain basement of food delivery is just not smart. Would you order Uber Pool for an important business client or if you wanted to get somewhere on time?

#16 ·
What an ungrateful slug! Guy was clearly a first class idiot though. Wouldn't you actually make the drive to the neighborhood, drive around in circles and play dumb, then cancel with one of the available options? It would at least look better than just cancelling right after pickup. He was also incredibly dumb in that he talked to police and admitted, right there on the spot, his guilt and motive. Play dumb and say there was an app error. Otherwise, talk to my lawyer. You think Uber is going to help authorities?! They stonewall unless forced by court order.
I'd guess the people smart enough to get away with crimes tend to be less likely to commit them in the first place, fortunately.

Would be curious what the driver is actually charged with. Will be very hard to prove a case of theft since the driver was on the road and just left the restaurant.
They have his confession. He's toast.

#28 ·
Lol wut? This must be a joke.

The driver broke no laws as far as any of you know and the cops were out of order. A good lawyer will make a laughing stock of the prosecution on this.

The driver acted well within his rights as a driver.

You and your kitchen staff were way out of line and acted like a pack of rabid dogs. It was not your business to hunt him down or do anything about this. It’s between Uber, the driver and the customer. The restaurant is not out of pocket for this so what do you care? This is vigilanteism and you’re all stupid. You should be the ones in jail awaiting trial. You don’t know jack about why the driver cancelled yet you feel qualified to chase him down like animals and presume guilt of something?

I only 50% believe this is even a real event because it’s too stupid. Unless you omitted some critical details, cops were out of line and should be fired for incompetence and corruption.

#30 · (Edited)
The guy got a 4 or 5 minute head start and you guys were somehow able to find him, block his escape, and all the while find the time and coordination to send texts to each other?

Strange things can happen but the story isn't credible.

Lol wut? This must be a joke.

The driver broke no laws as far as any of you know and the cops were out of order. A good lawyer will make a laughing stock of the prosecution on this.

The driver acted well within his rights as a driver.

You and your kitchen staff were way out of line and acted like a pack of rabid dogs. It was not your business to hunt him down or do anything about this. It's between Uber, the driver and the customer. The restaurant is not out of pocket for this so what do you care? This is vigilanteism and you're all stupid. You should be the ones in jail awaiting trial. You don't know jack about why the driver cancelled yet you feel qualified to chase him down like animals and presume guilt of something?

I only 50% believe this is even a real event because it's too stupid. Unless you omitted some critical details, cops were out of line and should be fired for incompetence and corruption.
I'm not buying his story either.

Uber would have been on the hook for the food anyway.

It's also convenient that he can't disclose the location .

If the story IS true, the restaurant people had to have been speeding and the whole blocking the Uber driver routine sounds reckless and could have caused an accident.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.