Uber Eats - Delivery Tips

JPeckSTL

Hey folks,

They just launched Uber Eats in Reno, NV this week. I had my first deliveries yesterday. My big question is there anything "Special" that drivers can do to impress eaters like we do for Paxes?

I was thinking of adding a "Thank you" business card asking for a Thumbs up and giving them after dinner mints. I have mints already for Paxes in my car, so it would not be that much of a cost for me to give them out with their meal.

Does anybody else do something similar?

Thanks!

Dchap08

Just don't do uber eats. Tips are few and far between. You'll wind up wasting a lot of time waiting for orders to be cooked, waiting a long time for people to come get their food. It's a losing deal.

Uber Crack

Author
As far as tipping for delivery, the person has already decided in advance whether they'll tip, and they have the dollars ready or they know they'll tip on the app. I seriously doubt anything will change their original intent, but please reply here if you find that to be different

Trafficat

I've done 3 deliveries so far. Each paid out about $3.50 from Uber. 2/3 I got a tip. $2 tip the first time, $4 tip the second time, $0 tip the third time.

With tips, Uber Eats promises to be a good way to earn. Otherwise, it is less than a cancel fee for a ride.

BritUberGurl

I have had multiple eats deliveries and so far I’d say it’s like 70/30 on tipping and tipping taking the short end of that fraction. Also based on time; driving to pick up, waiting for food, driving to delivery location, hunting for house (most often apartments), then hiking up and down stairs to deliver food because the lazy, entitled, rude, or high customers won’t even make the effort to come get their 5$ order makes for a 30 minute 3-5 dollar pay out... you do the math.

For instance - today I received two Uber eats back to back; first one - 12 min drive time to pick-up, 4 min wait for food, 9 minute drive to residence, 3 minutes waiting for response as to where apartment is located because map ended at address point, 2 more minutes waiting for cust. only to text me, "bring it up!" Then walk up to building and hike up three flights of stairs (2min) to have a gross dude in dirty sweat pants, no shirt or socks, say thanks as he snatches bag from me and shuts and locks door. Total 5.06$ No tip
Second - 15 min. drive to pick-up, 2 min. wait for food, 7 minute drive to res. 2 min. hunt for apartment call cust. follower her poor directions 2 more minutes, she again says, "I’m around the back side of the building up the stairs." Which of course meant she wasn’t fetching her McDonald’s fat gurl meal. I walk around building, no wait, I hike through the brush and weeds on a crappy path (only way around building either side), then up two flights of stairs (probably 2 more minutes there and back) she meets me with no pants on, thanks and again no tip. This was 3.86$

So over all, two deliveries - 30 minutes for 5.06$ and 3.86$ for 28 minutes, no tips - not worth my time. This has been the case here in Reno 70% of the time. However, cust. retrieving their food is about 5% of the time.

Thoughts anyone?

islanders88

So over all, two deliveries - 30 minutes for 5.06$ and 3.86$ for 28 minutes, no tips - not worth my time. This has been the case here in Reno 70% of the time. However, cust. retrieving their food is about 5% of the time.

Thoughts anyone?

I dont know how busy is UE in Reno but here in NYC there is usually not much idle time between the next pings. I don't rely on tips but i'd rather have the customer ready to pickup their food quickly when i arrive. And i make it a point not to go into apartment buildings by texting them 5 mins out to meet me in the lobby, 80% do meet in the lobby, whether they tip or not in the app, its up to them. However, If they insist I come up, I reply back saying cool and throw in the " tips are appreciated ". And almost everyone does tip at that point and cash too. You can setup up a keyboard shortcut in your phone and text the customer while your 5 mins out and make them meet you down.

Jbstevens88

My niece ordered UE. She was at the library at NYU. She ordered an $11 salad and there was a $10 "busy area fee" + "$5.00 delivery fee". So her $11 salad ended up costing $26.00. I am not surprised that people do not tip after paying $15.00 to have food delivered. I know I would not and I do UE in Austin. I have never heard of the fee until I googled it. No wonder people are not tipping during a boost period.

Cableguynoe

My niece ordered UE. She was at the library at NYU. She ordered an $11 salad and there was a $10 "busy area fee" + "$5.00 delivery fee". So her $11 salad ended up costing $26.00. I am not surprised that people do not tip after paying $15.00 to have food delivered. I know I would not and I do UE in Austin. I have never heard of the fee until I googled it. No wonder people are not tipping during a boost period.
You're niece is a cheap ass b$&@$.
If she thinks $26 is too much for a salad, she can get off her ass and walk to get something to eat.
I can guarantee there's something to eat not too far anywhere in NY.
The tip has nothing to do with how much was paid for the salad, fillet mignon or whatever was ordered.

Jbstevens88

She was studying for an exam in a study group - she is in Medical School so she could not just leave to go get something. Regardless, a $15 delivery charge ? Really....I never said she didn't tip. She did because she knows how much I complain about it. She was just not expecting to see a $15 charge when ordering.

Goongpad77

The salad costs the same...she’s paying for the service

You're niece is a cheap ass b$&@$.
If she thinks $26 is too much for a salad, she can get off her ass and walk to get something to eat.
I can guarantee there's something to eat not too far anywhere in NY.
The tip has nothing to do with how much was paid for the salad, fillet mignon or whatever was ordered.
It cracks me up when people say that was a $26 salad or $20 burrito... the food still cost the same price??? Duh you’re paying someone to work for you!

Cableguynoe

She was studying for an exam in a study group - she is in Medical School so she could not just leave to go get something. Regardless, a $15 delivery charge ? Really....I never said she didn't tip. She did because she knows how much I complain about it. She was just not expecting to see a $15 charge when ordering.
What would she have done if Uber eats didn't exist? No lunch?

Chris1973

It's really smart to order a burrito or salad because most drivers won't pick at or snipe the food straight out of the bag. After a driver gets stiffed 10 times in a row you can bet the situation is ripe for some grazing. Personally I don't graze, but I stopped using an insulated bag or trying to be friendly because most of these cheap lazy pigs offend me and don't deserve hot food or fast friendly service.

Goongpad77

It's really smart to order a burrito or salad because most drivers won't pick at or snipe the food straight out of the bag. After a driver gets stiffed 10 times in a row you can bet the situation is ripe for some grazing. Personally I don't graze, but I stopped using an insulated bag or trying to be friendly because most of these cheap lazy pigs offend me and don't deserve hot food or fast friendly service.
It’s crazy and discouraging considering what UberEats is bringing to table with delivery.. It’s like how low can you go..all the way to the gutter?? I’m 40 and have been delivering off and on for the last 20 years and this new world of app delivery is interesting. If you can drop $15 on a delivery in the first place then $3-5 for a tip shouldn’t be an issue. At least GH doesn’t let you check out without tipping up front... but there’s always that customer that just enters $0.00 which is like saying screw you! Essientially GH has a tip requirement :smiles:

Chris1973

It’s crazy and discouraging considering what UberEats is bringing to table with delivery.. It’s like how low can you go..all the way to the gutter?? I’m 40 and have been delivering off and on for the last 20 years and this new world of app delivery is interesting. If you can drop $15 on a delivery in the first place then $3-5 for a tip shouldn’t be an issue. At least GH doesn’t let you check out without tipping up front... but there’s always that customer that just enters $0.00 which is like saying screw you! Essientially GH has a tip requirement :smiles:

The thing that has pushed me to the point of actually despising UE customers is the fact that they are getting free delivery through December 31st in my region and many others. Here we are during the holidays, the economy is good, and these fockers are actually tipping LESS then ever. I mean, they can go to hell. I used to make harsh comments about drivers who joked about sniping fries or whatnot, but these sub-human scumbags who don't tip, even during the holidays with FREE delivery, deserve a turd sandwich. @@@@ em.

Cableguynoe

The thing that has pushed me to the point of actually despising UE customers is the fact that they are getting free delivery through December 31st in my region and many others. Here we are during the holidays, the economy is good, and these fockers are actually tipping LESS then ever. I mean, they can go to hell. I used to make harsh comments about drivers who joked about sniping fries or whatnot, but these sub-human scumbags who don't tip, even during the holidays with FREE delivery, deserve a turd sandwich. &%[email protected]!* em.
All I can say is NEVER accept ranch or tartar sauce from an Uber driver if it's not in a sealed package.
These are no no's.
44511D72-8316-4296-9ED7-FD4BE1788BAD.jpeg

Chefbumbum

I don't even understand how come there are drivers still doing uber eats. I got bitten by a dog once, I was insulted because the food was not in a hot bag other time and at last a biatch slammed the door on my face because I said that tips were aprecciated and it was possible to do it in the app. I said [email protected]$!#&ck the lazy son a bi&\/€cues.NO MORE.

Goongpad77

I have had multiple eats deliveries and so far I’d say it’s like 70/30 on tipping and tipping taking the short end of that fraction. Also based on time; driving to pick up, waiting for food, driving to delivery location, hunting for house (most often apartments), then hiking up and down stairs to deliver food because the lazy, entitled, rude, or high customers won’t even make the effort to come get their 5$ order makes for a 30 minute 3-5 dollar pay out... you do the math.

For instance - today I received two Uber eats back to back; first one - 12 min drive time to pick-up, 4 min wait for food, 9 minute drive to residence, 3 minutes waiting for response as to where apartment is located because map ended at address point, 2 more minutes waiting for cust. only to text me, "bring it up!" Then walk up to building and hike up three flights of stairs (2min) to have a gross dude in dirty sweat pants, no shirt or socks, say thanks as he snatches bag from me and shuts and locks door. Total 5.06$ No tip
Second - 15 min. drive to pick-up, 2 min. wait for food, 7 minute drive to res. 2 min. hunt for apartment call cust. follower her poor directions 2 more minutes, she again says, "I’m around the back side of the building up the stairs." Which of course meant she wasn’t fetching her McDonald’s fat gurl meal. I walk around building, no wait, I hike through the brush and weeds on a crappy path (only way around building either side), then up two flights of stairs (probably 2 more minutes there and back) she meets me with no pants on, thanks and again no tip. This was 3.86$

Thoughts anyone?

So funny!! Think about how many guys would love to deliver to a girl with no pants on!!

Bpr2

All I can say is NEVER accept ranch or tartar sauce from an Uber driver if it's not in a sealed package.
These are no no's.
View attachment 186559
I’ve requested resturants to tape those things if given to me individually without a bag. When asked why I say just in case they open in transit and might spoil the containers. Real reason is just in case a customer wants to say that they found something in the dressing. “Well was the dressing containers tape broken?” …no… “then it was the resturants fault”