• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber drivers plan another work stoppage at midnight Saturday to protest Uber's low rates

PowerTrip

Uber drivers plan another work stoppage at midnight Saturday to protest Uber's low rates

TAMPA — It may not be easy to Uber this weekend: Ride-share drivers say they plan to continue their protest against the company's lower fares by staging a work stoppage starting at midnight today.

Earlier this month, Uber slashed local fares by 32 percent to attract more people to use the ride-share service. But drivers protested that the new rates have made it hard for them to drive for Uber without losing money.

Protesting drivers also think that a dearth of drivers could in turn lead to "surge pricing" — when Uber's rates suddenly shoot up as demand exceeds the supply of drivers.

The protests are being organized by the Tampa Bay ride-share steering committee. Organizers said the number of drivers participating was at 65 and growing. They'll turn the Uber app off and spend the work stoppage driving through Tampa. During the last protest, they drove through Ybor City, the Channel District and SoHo bearing signs on their vehicles that said: "I can't drive for $.65," and "Veteran can't support family on $.65."

That's in reference to the new fare of 65 cents a mile. Uber takes 20 to 25 percent. Drivers are left making anywhere from 49 to 52 cents per mile. When Uber started in Tampa Bay in 2014, it charged $1.80 per mile. Cabs are still $2.40 per mile. Protest organizers warned customers to look for alternate options for getting home after midnight.

Uber drivers plan another work stoppage at midnight Saturday to protest Uber's low rates 01/22/16 [Last modified: Friday, January 22, 2016 9:30pm]

UberXTampa

Why wait for midnight? That's what I don't understand.
Right now in new Tampa there is no car for example...
Can we make the rest of the city like that starting now?

I had only 1 surge fare since rate cuts, I am protesting, I did not drive any other. As long as people drive, they accept these rates. If we all stop for an extended period of time, uber might listen.

Last edited:
Not sure striking works when you have guys that can't feed their families going out and taking advantage of other cars not being on the road.
There will always be undercutting to the majority body of protest. The important aspect, or should I say the "key" to success will be that the majority body continues to be the majority through the long run. People deserve the chance to earn a "fare" wage in this type of business model. I personally doubt though, that this minor selfless act of protest will invoke any reaction from Uber other than noticing a few breadcrumbs on their lap as they gorge on the American Dream.

There will always be undercutting to the majority body of protest. The important aspect, or should I say the "key" to success will be that the majority body continues to be the majority through the long run. People deserve the chance to earn a "fare" wage in this type of business model. I personally doubt though, that this minor selfless act of protest will invoke any reaction from Uber other than noticing a few breadcrumbs on their lap as they gorge on the American Dream.
I am afraid the reality is there are just too many people with no other options for employment, or who need the incremental money, that working for minimum wage while having the flexibility that Uber drivers have is an attractive option..... this is Uber's secret weapon... few other employment opportunities provide the flexibility and lack of supervision of an Uber driver, and thus the wage reflects those attractions...... imo

Abd813

Why wait for midnight? That's what I don't understand.
Right now in new Tampa there is no car for example...
Can we make the rest of the city like that starting now?

I had only 1 surge fare since rate cuts, I am protesting, I did not drive any other. As long as people drive, they accept these rates. If we all stop for an extended period of time, uber might listen.
Very true, thats why i stopped driving for them.

UberTaxPro

Past Sponsor
You guys need to somehow get the PAX on your side. If a chunk of them stopped using Uber they would listen. I know...never gonna happen. Just thinking. How about an appeal from the POPE to Uber requesting that they refrain from treating drivers like slaves? Might get the catholics behind ya!

uber strike

Not sure striking works when you have guys that can't feed their families going out and taking advantage of other cars not being on the road.
the solution is very easy. You guys could strike until it surges.take high surge rides only. Go offline once surge stops and repeat. that way scabs don't take advantage of your effort. You take advantage of the extra money. And you could do the same thing every weekend till uber listens.

uber strike

I am afraid the reality is there are just too many people with no other options for employment, or who need the incremental money, that working for minimum wage while having the flexibility that Uber drivers have is an attractive option..... this is Uber's secret weapon... few other employment opportunities provide the flexibility and lack of supervision of an Uber driver, and thus the wage reflects those attractions...... imo
there is no more flexibility. The rate cuts are designed to get you on the road and online for longer periods of time.

I support the strike-i also dont drive anymore- creating surges from strikes
Will hopefully push pax to make other transportation choices
For those drivers who keep driving during strikes- thats ok - some people are on their last 5$- need to pay a bill-
Buy food-been there-that wont affect the strikes-it actually could help-

Abe57

The uber strategy to force the drivers to stay online and work for unlimited hours is immoral and illegal.It makes the uber drivers as dangerous as drunk drivers,or rolling weapons of mass destruction all over America.

rover_ralph

Between 2 to 3:30 am last night, the surge in St Pete only got to 2.2. In Dunedin it was 1.5 and Clearwater area 2.1. I apologize to you all as I wasn't aware of this event yesterday as I was working the Monster Jam in Orlando and had to drop off a vendor in St Pete, so I wanted to get my one ride in for the month. For the 1.5 hours I was online I earn only $13.12 cents. Prior to this rate cut those trips should have netted me at least $ 27.00 See you out there for the one night in Feb.

rover_ralph

Also, there is this address in Gulfport off 38th ave south, way by the water, you cannot get to their address because they are gated. You arrive, call pax, then text, they never answer. You are about 1/2 mile away from the address. So you cancel, then drive away, they reping you. Ignore it, they ping again, you ignore, then you app goes off line and you don't get the guaranteed rates.

How long was the strike supposed to go? Many drivers probably didn't even know about it. Either not on this forum or on the Facebook page.