Uber Drivers Not Tipping

Robert Bly

I have completed over 50 rides and have only received one tip. It was for $5 from a Mexican man who was a laborer.
How do you get tips? I have mints and sanitizer and kleenex and phone plugs available. I tell them they are in control of the AC and radio.
Of course, a driver should tip but does anyone else get tips?

UberHoax

I have completed over 50 rides and have only received one tip. It was for $5 from a Mexican man who was a laborer.
How do you get tips? I have mints and sanitizer and kleenex and phone plugs available. I tell them they are in control of the AC and radio.
Of course, a driver should tip but does anyone else get tips?
Passengers have initiated conversation before about how it's ridiculous that uber does not have a tipping option ...and then ... they do NOT tip. Unless Uber incorporates it into the app, it will be rare to get tips.

The Mollusk

Your company does not want you to get tipped and tells all of your pax to not tip because of black people (?). Any questions ?

RightTurnClyde

Some rare nights (maybe the planet alignment pleases the tipping gods) I would get a good amount of tips. I once got $55 in tips and $140 for a 20-minute off-app drive one night which was my best. It was strange because 95% of the time I got nada, but on those seemingly one-off nights I was on fire. I hate to even mention it though because others might think it's remotely common (it wasn't).

Out of all those who tipped, not one person that I knew to be a driver ever left a tip. A few 20 somethings did, usually restaurant servers riding home from work. Thirty to fourty years olds were a bit better than the youngsters but not by much. Fifty year olds and older were my usual tippers and I always welcomed, treated, respected them as best I could. I even once had a 60+ couple make me promise I wouldn't leave their driveway, then go in their house and bring me out some soda and food because they were so embarrassed about not having any cash to tip me. Great generation, but their culture has been lost on the youth...

Last edited:

PTCGUY

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Passengers have initiated conversation before about how it's ridiculous that uber does not have a tipping option ...and then ... they do NOT tip. Unless Uber incorporates it into the app, it will be rare to get tips.
...but not from another driver. That's just classless!

PTCGUY

Your company does not want you to get tipped and tells all of your pax to not tip because of black people (?). Any questions ?
I'm talking about other drivers not tipping. Not the usual everyday pax who never tips.

Papa

Seriously, what goes through a driver's mind when being a rider and not tipping? I had another (key word-another) one yesterday! I 1*D HIS SORRY BUTT!!!!
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

The tip should be automatic and built in. Your position is clear and over-stood, however don't fault the abused, fault the abuser!!!

For the record, if the service was there, I would tip! Well

neweagle

I may step in it here, but I rode in an UberX to the Peachtree Road Race yesterday, and not only did I not tip him, but I rated him two stars.

I knew something was up when his 4.4 rating appeared in the app. His car was a 2004 Stratus with 158k miles on it, and it showed. The interior was absolutely filthy, and it was the kind of filth that only comes from pretty much never cleaning the car. It's one thing to have normal dirt on the floor mats that builds up after just a few pax; we all deal with that. But it's completely another when the cup holders are full of that "gunk" that builds up over time, french fries are under the driver seat, there are telltale streaks of soda on the interior door panel, etc. Furthermore, the car rode horribly, and rattled and squeaked. In other words, it was every stereotype that we see about how far the standards have fallen for Uber X.

The only reason he got any stars was because as a pax, I split my ratings into two parts: two stars for the driver, and three for the car. His car was terrible, but he was actually a nice guy who tried to make pleasant conversation and knew the best way to get to a good drop off for the race. As I was getting out, I thanked him for the ride, and suggested that he clean the car. I never let on that I was a driver, and I wrote detailed comments in my feedback. It may not do much, but I didn't want to be that annoying pax that gave no impression that the ride was less than 5 stars, and then blew them up on feedback.

As far as tipping goes, my philosophy has always been that when in a "tipping situation", such as a restaurant, bar, can, Uber, etc., you don't have to "earn" the tip, because I'm ready to tip generously from the moment the interaction begins. The only way I won't tip is if the experience is so bad that you start "unearning" it, and even then, I don't go straight to $0, but some reduced amount. But this was simply THAT bad.

I guess the main reason why I was so annoyed by this was because I know that, contrary to the stereotype, most drivers drive clean cars and take pride in what they do, and this guy clearly didn't.

PTCGUY

I may step in it here, but I rode in an UberX to the Peachtree Road Race yesterday, and not only did I not tip him, but I rated him two stars.

I knew something was up when his 4.4 rating appeared in the app. His car was a 2004 Stratus with 158k miles on it, and it showed. The interior was absolutely filthy, and it was the kind of filth that only comes from pretty much never cleaning the car. It's one thing to have normal dirt on the floor mats that builds up after just a few pax; we all deal with that. But it's completely another when the cup holders are full of that "gunk" that builds up over time, french fries are under the driver seat, there are telltale streaks of soda on the interior door panel, etc. Furthermore, the car rode horribly, and rattled and squeaked. In other words, it was every stereotype that we see about how far the standards have fallen for Uber X.

The only reason he got any stars was because as a pax, I split my ratings into two parts: two stars for the driver, and three for the car. His car was terrible, but he was actually a nice guy who tried to make pleasant conversation and knew the best way to get to a good drop off for the race. As I was getting out, I thanked him for the ride, and suggested that he clean the car. I never let on that I was a driver, and I wrote detailed comments in my feedback. It may not do much, but I didn't want to be that annoying pax that gave no impression that the ride was less than 5 stars, and then blew them up on feedback.

As far as tipping goes, my philosophy has always been that when in a "tipping situation", such as a restaurant, bar, can, Uber, etc., you don't have to "earn" the tip, because I'm ready to tip generously from the moment the interaction begins. The only way I won't tip is if the experience is so bad that you start "unearning" it, and even then, I don't go straight to $0, but some reduced amount. But this was simply THAT bad.

I guess the main reason why I was so annoyed by this was because I know that, contrary to the stereotype, most drivers drive clean cars and take pride in what they do, and this guy clearly didn't.
I didn't think 2004 cars were allowed.

REX HAVOC

I've had this conversation with some pax when they bring it up. I always ask them what they used before Uber and they tell me they used a taxi. Then I ask them if they tipped the cabbie and how much. Most will say yes at around 20 percent. then I ask if they tip their Uber driver. Most will either say they thought it was included in the fare or they'll say when they use Uber they don't carry cash.

Personally I think most people will tip if there's a social expectation to do so. But, since Uber has created the perception that not tipping is OK they don't. do it even though they know they're being cheap. It bothers me when I spend 30 minutes driving someone from the airport, put their bags in the car and give them good service and they still don't tip yet they'll give their barista or bartender a couple of bucks for a 2 minute transaction.

neweagle

I've had this conversation with some pax when they bring it up. I always ask them what they used before Uber and they tell me they used a taxi. Then I ask them if they tipped the cabbie and how much. Most will say yes at around 20 percent. then I ask if they tip their Uber driver. Most will either say they thought it was included in the fare or they'll say when they use Uber they don't carry cash.

Personally I think most people will tip if there's a social expectation to do so. But, since Uber has created the perception that not tipping is OK they don't. do it even though they know they're being cheap. It bothers me when I spend 30 minutes driving someone from the airport, put their bags in the car and give them good service and they still don't tip yet they'll give their barista or bartender a couple of bucks for a 2 minute transaction.
I couldn't agree with this more. And I don't disagree in general with the idea that drivers should tip each other, since we all "know the deal." I was just illustrating the point that even that idea comes with limits.

PTCGUY

I have a hard time believing so many pax don't carry cash. I never leave the house without at least $20 on me. You never know when you might need it.

Papa

Very well stated!

Steve2008

I have a hard time believing so many pax don't carry cash. I never leave the house without at least $20 on me. You never know when you might need it.
It's probably a generational thing of not carrying cash. I rarely carry cash. I deposit my tips daily from driving into the account I use for uber. Younger people (which I am) rarely carry cash these days. Older people typically keep some "in case they need it" but most young people don't consider what that can mean.

I rarely use uber and when I do it is a spontaneous decision and given that I don't usually carry cash I end up being that guy. However I don't mind swiping if a driver has a square, but it's rare where they have it, probably because comes off as somewhat tacky.

I consider myself a great tipper in general, in fact I take pride in it lol but Uber should do better by its "partners"