Uber drivers keep getting arrested in LAPD stings

uberdriverfornow

All you gotta do is make them make a request through the app. If they don't want to do it then they don't get a ride. It's that simple. Uber does nothing whatsoever to inform new drivers of any rules that we need to abide by. It's a real shame.

Another Uber Driver

I could be wrong, but even that could be considered an illicit "street hail"
It could, but as long as the request comes through the application, it does comply with the letter of the law. I would suppose that you would have to tell the customer that he must take whatever car the application assigns to him. You would think that the application would assign the trip to your car, but it does not always happen in that way. I learned that when I had my first few taxi customers try to pay with Uber Taxi. Of course, in the taxi, I can accept street hails.

ubershiza

It could, but as long as the request comes through the application, it does comply with the letter of the law. I would suppose that you would have to tell the customer that he must take whatever car the application assigns to him. You would think that the application would assign the trip to your car, but it does not always happen in that way. I learned that when I had my first few taxi customers try to pay with Uber Taxi. Of course, in the taxi, I can accept street hails.
travis-kalanick-uber-cover-illustration03.jpg

Red Leader

Uber does tell you how to not rocket science.

And these situations are easily avoided simply by saying no, refusing any money, and asking a couple of questions. After that, you can easily explain the requirements of how you operate.

Also....a dash am that records out will go a long way in court. Who doesn't stop for a woman who runs out in the street frantically waving their arms?

uberdriverfornow

Also....a dash am that records out will go a long way in court. Who doesn't stop for a woman who runs out in the street frantically waving their arms?
I'm confident any judge that hears that an Uber driver stopped for a lady flailing her arms(ie. lady in distress) and agrees to give her a ride would be understandable enough to throw out the charge.

d0n

I was set up to give a ride like that to someone at the airport, the guy swore I couldn't identify an undercover cop, here is how you troll them and get paid:

If they approach you for a ride "outside the app" through cash, ask them how much are they willing to pay and then enter the address into your uber pax app, see if it's more than what the app is charging, take the cash and request an uber for them, I told my rider to hold on because I was helping the poor policeman in need, the guy looked confused as I took his cash and another uber showed up to pick him up, I wished them a safe trip and left with my pax, moments later I see the trip ending nearby at a gas station.

This goes to show that next time they want to temp people into doing trips, they really need to think about the distance they are baiting you with, 55 miles and 70 bucks (tax payer money) seems like a waste (not to me obviously), IMO.

Frœsty

I was set up to give a ride like that to someone at the airport, the guy swore I couldn't identify an undercover cop, here is how you troll them and get paid:

If they approach you for a ride "outside the app" through cash, ask them how much are they willing to pay and then enter the address into your uber pax app, see if it's more than what the app is charging, take the cash and request an uber for them, I told my rider to hold on because I was helping the poor policeman in need, the guy looked confused as I took his cash and another uber showed up to pick him up, I wished them a safe trip and left with my pax, moments later I see the trip ending nearby at a gas station.

This goes to show that next time they want to temp people into doing trips, they really need to think about the distance they are baiting you with, 55 miles and 70 bucks (tax payer money) seems like a waste (not to me obviously), IMO.
Took me a few times to figure out what you were saying but pure genius, sir, pure genius!

LAuberX

Post a ride receipt for that.

Spuntino

Yeah that happened. LOL:rolleyes:

sicky

Wouldn't a cop hailing the car be considered entrapment? Cops can't walk up to you and offer you drugs and then arrest you for trying to buy them. That's entrapment. If the driver called out to somebody on the road and offered them a ride, then it's ok to arrest them.

mrpjfresh

Wouldn't a cop hailing the car be considered entrapment? Cops can't walk up to you and offer you drugs and then arrest you for trying to buy them. That's entrapment. If the driver called out to somebody on the road and offered them a ride, then it's ok to arrest them.
These type of cops do not care when it comes to these type of entrapment schemes and how it inconveniences you or could potentially ruin your life or employment. It is all a numbers game to them and about making busts. You see this all the time in various stings. They go fishing for sharks but cast a super wide net and are content to let the guppies caught up suffocate on deck. You need to protect yourself, first and foremost, and know the laws.

If you can potentially spot and troll these flunkies and waste their time, all the better. I have been repeatedly tried to be entrapped over the years for various things (drugs, prostituion, underage) that I was not even pursuing. It is a nasty game but these guys and gals are typically pretty easy to spot and catch.

I even got a ticket one time for "expired" registration. I renewed my auto registration but had to leave to take care of a sick relative for a few weeks. The night I came back, I was invited out to a party before I went through my mail. On my way, stopped at a DUI checkpoint. My sticker was still old (a week expired), so I explained the situation, asked them to check their computer AND showed the online printed out receipt I kept in the car to show I had paid. They still wrote me the ticket and I had to go to the courthouse, stand in line with hundreds of drunks caught up only to get a quick dismissal from an assistant prosecutor. Wasted time and money over a lousy sticker. Yes, it was my fault but there is no compassion or understanding with these type of things and that is the lesson I learned. It is ALL about money and numbers for them, so I'll never criticize someone for looking out for A#1.

TwoFiddyMile

Tell the judge you are a victim of entrapment.
"$500 fine. Next!".

Reversoul

It amazes me that law enforcement places such a high emphasis on petty and trivial things like a broke driver trying to make a buck.

Meanwhile, schools are getting shot up, drug dealers are pushing narcotics all over the country, children and women are being sexually assaulted.

Why are they sweating us?? Next they can shake down a gas station for a day old hot dog.

To protect and serve my azz.