• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber drivers complain they are forced to break the law to do their job

everythingsuber

Pretty simple don't go near the phone if you are stationary at lights.

———

Uber driver Jayesh* tapped his phone just once when a police car pulled him over.

A new trip had just popped up on the driver's Uber app on his phone, which was mounted to his car.

So Jayesh made sure he stopped at the traffic lights in Greensborough in Melbourne's north-east, before tapping his screen to accept the trip.

But the fact that his car was stationary, or that he was working as an Uber driver didn't sway the police officer who handed him a ticket: a $484 fine and the loss of four demerit points.

Jayesh is among tens of thousands of Uber drivers across the country who are frequently having to weigh up whether they should break the law to do their job.

https://amp.theage.com.au/national/victoria/uber-drivers-complain-they-are-forced-to-break-the-law-to-do-their-job-20190110-p50qm8.html

RoboRider

We have a separate thread on this that started a few days ago before this story comes out - https://uberpeople.net/threads/official-position-on-mobile-phone-usage.304504/unread. Biggest question in my mind is how does the police officer know that you didn't tap your phone to make or receive a call, control your music app, or use navigation functions ... because all of those are legal!

Also interesting in the thread here linked on that story there is discussion that showed the issue was raised with Uber back in 2017. The weasle word cop out pushing all the blame on the drivers in the article is also bound to get a lot of people upset

Ray2004

RoboRider

I had two occasions today where I had to decline rides due to no car seat. It somehow felt foolish explaining to them that their only option was to call a taxi :frown:

RoboRider

Seat requirements vary by age so nope. Got cancel fee for one but not the other but then I was only like 500m away from that one :p

Ray2004

I had two occasions today where I had to decline rides due to no car seat. It somehow felt foolish explaining to them that their only option was to call a taxi :frown:
Happened to me only once and the lady said another driver took her and her son for the same exact trip before and he didn't cancel. It's always another uber driver :biggrin:

ST DYMPHNA son

...whoever does not understand that 100% of the responsibilities is on driver deserves all what is coming... Über spend Zillions of dollars on "shrinks" whose conclusion was that an average driver is stupid and greedy...Über does not have to lobby for changes of the law,there is enough stupid drivers who will take a risk of a few hundreds dollars in fines or losing driving license to earn $10...moron drivers don't even stop further requests while on the trip,therefore potentially "killing the surge"and protecting from accidental ping coming and "automatically touching the screen,-Greed,Greed,Greed you stupid b........d if you act like this...

Goatsheep

We have a separate thread on this that started a few days ago before this story comes out - https://uberpeople.net/threads/official-position-on-mobile-phone-usage.304504/unread. Biggest question in my mind is how does the police officer know that you didn't tap your phone to make or receive a call, control your music app, or use navigation functions ... because all of those are legal!

Also interesting in the thread here linked on that story there is discussion that showed the issue was raised with Uber back in 2017. The weasle word cop out pushing all the blame on the drivers in the article is also bound to get a lot of people upset
In 2017 Uber was still illegal. They legalised after September. So they have no leg to voice out their concern. Only canaries were included in the discussion.

RoboRider

In 2017 Uber was still illegal. They legalised after September. So they have no leg to voice out their concern. Only canaries were included in the discussion.
Well the Vic Roads guy said that "Uber had stated previously that there system was not a dispatch system but this was when they were operating illegally in Victoria" so they obviously had some opportunity for input

RoboRider

Putting aside the question of legality of actions ... I see just as many taxi drivers playing with their dispatch system while they are driving so any argument that their system is 'safer' is just BS

Thing

The last week of my uber career meant that I had the balls to tell it how it was and a bit more

One of the unfortunate tosspots to receive my advice was a 30's couple with 2 toddlers ... same argument, the other uber driver did it..
To which I berated them quite harshly on how bad parents they were for risking their kids lives to save a few $$$... I really gave them what for, and expected de-activation within 24 hours due to my ott rant... however, no complaint.. maybe they were shocked into reality :cool:

Bondi rider

I read the article in the Sydney Morning Herald;; basically we are breaking the law every time we touch the phone to accept a ride and the car is on. The article states that for us to accept a job or touch the phone, the car should be parked and engine off. On the police eyes, we are breaking the law and Uber is just not giving an statement or taking responsibility.
What can we do? Are cameras going to find us for touching the phone ?

DurrrrrHurrrrr

I disagree with the headline Uber is not a job. It’s a way to share your ride with someone else for profit.

Though it does beg the question does Uber deem it acceptable to stop and park your car mid poo to accept another pax?

I have never done poo but I assume you still need to accept the extra pax or is it automatically accepted? If not Uber now has a good excuse to make it auto or for that matter make all trips automatic

ST DYMPHNA son

I read the article in the Sydney Morning Herald;; basically we are breaking the law every time we touch the phone to accept a ride and the car is on. The article states that for us to accept a job or touch the phone, the car should be parked and engine off. On the police eyes, we are breaking the law and Uber is just not giving an statement or taking responsibility.
What can we do? Are cameras going to find us for touching the phone ?
...we,the drivers are redundant nobody's,not even a workforce, Über does not give a "Continental" as every second next idiot is born...your is responsibility,all of it,for business purpose Über is calling us Partners,Independent Contractors,Über will take 25% of the fare,but to adjust for this we can have 100% of everything else...think about it next time you accept pool...