1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber Drivers Canceling Trips After Finding Out Final Destination

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark Johnson, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Well-Known Member

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...-Finding-Out-Final-Destination-408432315.html

----------------------------------

Uber passengers at Washington-area airports said some ride-share drivers are refusing to pick them up, because they don’t want to take the travelers where they want to go.
    An Uber driver is never supposed to know the destination until the trip has started. But some drivers are said to be calling passengers in advance and finding out where the passengers want to go, which is against Uber policy.

If the driver thinks the trip isn’t worth their time, because they think the trip is too short, too long or they just don’t want to go to the destination, the drivers won’t pick up the passengers, the passengers said.
    "I just wanted to get home,” Uber customer Landon Geurkink said. “We had just been traveling for a couple hours in the air. It was cold out."

Geurkink said he had to go through five separate Uber drivers before one finally picked him up at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. He said the drivers thought his relatively short trip to downtown D.C. wasn't worth the trip after calling him to find out his destination.
    "He's, like, I just wanted to know where you are headed? I just said, ‘Oh, downtown D.C.,’” Geurkirk said. “Another minute later, he canceled."

Other drivers may have manipulated the Uber app or used a separate app to figure out the final destination and then decided they didn't want the trip. Some Uber drivers said they knew all about this technique, and some admitted they have ended trip requests based on destination.
    "I know that I have canceled drives before that I thought were too long," one driver said.

Uber released a statement about the practice.
    “Ridesharing apps are changing a transportation status quo that has been unequal for generations, making it easier and more affordable for people to get around, no matter where they live and where they're going."

Per Uber's deactivation policy, each city has a maximum cancellation rate, based on the average cancellation rate in that area, after which point a driver may be barred from using the app.
    Uber riders can rate their driver and provide anonymous feedback about their trip. Uber said they do take feedback seriously.

The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority said they are looking into the practice of the Uber drivers avoiding some trips.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  2. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Time for Uber to pay fairly !

jonnyplastic, FUberX, iUBERdc and 9 others like this.
  3. ThatUberChick

ThatUberChick Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yeah, I don't know, I always found this ridiculous.

JoeD16 likes this.
  4. DrivingZiggy

DrivingZiggy Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I agree. If you accept the ping, you should follow through.

5. Cole Hann

Cole Hann Active Member

if passenger gets a call with the destination question tell the driver an expensive location. Driver will be salivating and burn rubber to get to you.
    with passenger in car Driver Starts Trip and sees an address down the road. Then pax updates driver:
    "sorry Mr Meathead Driver, just got an emergency call, change of plans, I'm going 2 miles down the road, take me now or I scream for Airport Law Enforcement and You wake up tomorrow in a Cell on Guantanamo Bey Cuba"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016

6. CvilleUber

CvilleUber Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    That's the problem with independent contractors - they can choose what work they want. The only repercussion would be removing from the platform. We need to contact pax to determine actual location way too often. The airports shouldn't give a crap - They should just point people to the taxi drivers (who also cherry pick).

grams777 and Lepke like this.
  7. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

The problem is that drivers should have a slider in the app that allows us to tell uber how far we'll go for a pickup and destination. I never do this but I can understand drivers that do.

8. WestSubDriver

WestSubDriver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    This "hustle" doesn't pay enough to go anywhere at anytime. I can understand the issue at airports as discussed - I just don't pick up at the airports. But, I've refused to go to the airport at particular times of day. I tell passengers if you are really time crunched like trying to catch a flight - be smart, text your driver and tell them where you're going. Better to have them cancel right away then wait for them to arrive and cancel to your face. It's just lost time in the request process.

9. CvilleUber

CvilleUber Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I had a rider call me right after I accepted and told me he was going for a 2.5 hour trip. I said I couldn't do it (needed to be a 2+ surge or XL to make it worth it - it was no surge at X).

He cancelled and I'm sure found a driver that would be willing. That's the best way of doing it.

Hannibalb, JMBF831, FUberX and 5 others like this.
  10. Mark Johnson

Sometimes pax hope that the driver would be too "nice" to cancel once they get in the car.

They haven't met me...

Once you take enough out of the way trips -- to destinations you KNOW you will not be getting a return fare -- you begin to learn the hard way that Uber doesn't care about our expenses when they slash rates from $1.20 to $0.75/mile while increasing the no. of drivers. Hence, I too do NOT care about kicking you out of my vehicle -- and choosing "do not charge rider" -- if I think the fare isn't worth it.

Because 95% of the time, the pax will NOT tip even if they know they took you to a remote destination.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  11. Giovanni206

Giovanni206 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    never

JMBF831, Cole Hann and grams777 like this.
  12. UberChicago80

UberChicago80 Active Member

I like PAX to be happy. I know some have undesireable trips, but that is what I signed up for

13. Mark Johnson

Please show me where in our contracts it states we are "required" to take trips that would be undesirable. Because last I checked, even Uber knows not every trip is optimal or profitable.

Here is proof...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  14. uberdriverfornow

Do you seriously expect anyone to believe that email is legit ?

15. ginseng41

ginseng41 Well-Known Member

What app is the article referring to that allows.us to see the destination?

grams777, Chip Dawg and Pearlina like this.
  16. Mark Johnson

So let me get this straight...

You are accusing me of taking my sweet time to write a fictitious email that I received from Uber support in order to convince other drivers Uber is okay with drivers canceling trips based on how far the destination this?

Interesting....

Next time a pax requests a ride and you find out it's a 300 mile one way trip to a remote area, tell yourself you HAVE to take it because Uber is your boss and it's in the contract.

Hannibalb, JayAre, iUBERdc and 3 others like this.
  17. uberdriverfornow

Those two points at the bottom go against everything we've seen and heard from Uber. There is NO identifying information in that email. The format looks ridiculous. And you expect us to believe it's legit ?

18. Mark Johnson

You are free to believe what you want. In regards to your "format" statement, apparently you aren't familiar with the ubiquitous Microsoft Outlook mail application. And did you not see the Uber Support part at the top? Or did I make up the name too?

Tell you what buddy, email Uber support yourself from the driver app and ask if you can cancel a ride that you feel is "too far" or "not profitable" and get back to me.

This should be interesting...

iUBERdc likes this.
  19. uberdriverfornow

I accept everything that comes my way and make atleast $1000 a week working 40 hours so I don't need to bother being lazy and wasting time waiting for trips instead of busting ass like I do making a decent living.

You're welcome to cherry pick your way to more income.

Matt's your driver likes this.
  20. uberdriverfornow

This is what my standard weekly earnings looks like.

I look forward to seeing yours.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Wifey1203 and mwalmins like this.