Uber driver with multiple DUI’s found 3x the limit crashes his ride causing injuries

YukonDew

A driver with a 2.8 BAC who can barely stand and yet a passenger still climbs in the car with him. I wonder if the passenger was too drunk to notice or too cheap to care?

I get a little agitated by stories like this. The driver is a drunk and ought not be driving at all. His "not going to jail" is a legal issue, not a deficiency in Uber itself. There are hundreds of thousands of Uber/Lyft drivers in the United States and the vast majority are minding their own business grinding out a few extra dollars where ever they can. The guy featured in the story represents his own bad judgement far more that anything else.

Mista T

Author
I hear about incidents like this from pax. Some I believe, some I don't.

The pax who call U/L are always amazed that these companies don't do anything, they don't take the driver off the road immediately. As we know, sometimes they do, but not always.

Uber especially, their attitude is that if it was serious enough for the pax to "do something", then that Something should have been to call 911. If the police take action, then so will Uber.

Oh, your driver was drunk? Stoned? Fell asleep at the wheel? Raped you? Kidnapped you? Pulled a weapon? That's terrible, did you call the police? NO??? Must not have been that bad then, here is a $5 credit. We take these issues very seriously. Safety is #1. RESOLVED.

YukonDew

U/L to default to something. I really don't have a problem with them expecting a police report to support any serious matter. I certainly wouldn't want any random Pax to be the final authority on the "truth" for any major issue. Most are great people, but any driver that has been around for a while has run into folks that will gladly lie to your face or try to pull some kind of scam if they they think there is a nickle in it for them.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

The problem is that uber doesn't investigate DUIs.

The cab company...

Twice i've been ordered off the road to wait for The company insurance/safety guy to show up and breathalyze me and once they just called the sheriff's on suspicion that i was DUI. ( i suspect it's because the company guy couldn't make it quick enough)

They ordered me to pull over on the spot. I *ALMOST* comply with it and go to a parking lot cause that's a MUCH nicer place to be stuck waiting than roadside. I'm 100% sure that this is because of liability issues of suspecting a driver is DUI.

There are am stuck in some crappy 711 telling people who walk up looking for a ride that i broke down and am waiting for a tow (seemed like a better idea than telling them the truth)

All three times i was investigated and all three times i was only off the road for a period of less than an hour.

That's how you investigate these accusations. On the spot when the customer calls it in. With just sending emails you will never get the truth. You need someone who is neither the driver nor the passenger to make them blow into a breathalyzer unit and make them walk a line.

On top of that the issue is resolved much faster than the same situation with Scruber and Gryft.

AND

The cab company refunded me rental time for the time i was off the road for my troubles. Which I personally think is going above and beyond..

YukonDew

The problem is that uber doesn't investigate DUIs.

The cab company...

Twice i've been ordered off the road to wait for The company insurance/safety guy to show up and breathalyze me and once they just called the sheriff's on suspicion that i was DUI. ( i suspect it's because the company guy couldn't make it quick enough)

They ordered me to pull over on the spot. I *ALMOST* comply with it and go to a parking lot cause that's a MUCH nicer place to be stuck waiting than roadside. I'm 100% sure that this is because of liability issues of suspecting a driver is DUI.

There are am stuck in some crappy 711 telling people who walk up looking for a ride that i broke down and am waiting for a tow (seemed like a better idea than telling them the truth)

All three times i was investigated and all three times i was only off the road for a period of less than an hour.

That's how you investigate these accusations. On the spot when the customer calls it in. With just sending emails you will never get the truth. You need someone who is neither the driver nor the passenger to make them blow into a breathalyzer unit and make them walk a line.

On top of that the issue is resolved much faster than the same situation with Scruber and Gryft.

AND

The cab company refunded me rental time for the time i was off the road for my troubles. Which I personally think is going above and beyond..

So, you are suggesting that based on the whim of any Pax that suspects a driver needs to be "tested", we would have to pull over and sit for as long as it takes for someone from Uber come and tests us for DUI? Sounds like a complete pain in the a-- to me. Since I believe the majority of those kind of accusations are unfounded, why would that be better?

IMO, A Pax that is truly concerned ought to end the ride, get out, contact the police, then contact Uber. Seems like we already have everyone involved with a vested interest at that point and the situation could be resolved pretty quickly. There is really no need to necessitate the participation of some slacker with a breathalyzer to show up whenever they get there.