1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber driver shoots, kills man who was threatening him in Polk County, officials say

Discussion in 'News' started by BurgerTiime, Aug 29, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    94.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    https://www.wftv.com/news/local/ube...ng-him-in-polk-county-officials-say/822975102
    [​IMG]
    Authorities said the man was following and threatening him on Dundee Road near Carl Floyd and County Road 550 in unincorporated Polk County, deputies said.

The incident began at Grove Lounge on Highway 27 in Dundee where a bar patron and a bar tender called an Uber for a heavily-intoxicated woman, deputies said.

A woman helped the drunken woman into the car, investigators said.

Shortly afterward, the good Samaritan’s on-again, off-again boyfriend, Jason Boek, 34, called her and thought she was riding in the Uber, according to Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd.

Boek said, “I’m gonna (expletive) up the Uber driver,” according to Judd.

The Sheriff’s Office said that Boek sent threatening messages to his ex-girlfriend, who was still at the lounge.

Deputies said Boek then drove his Ford F250 pickup truck, shined the lights and pulled up behind the Uber that was carrying the drunken woman.

Boek then drives beside the Uber, passes it and then forces the Uber to stop, Judd said.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, Uber driver, Robert Westlake, did not kjnow who Boek was. Deputies said Boek jumped out of his truck and said to Westlake, “You know I got a pistol. You want me to shoot you?”

Boek pulls out a black cellphone from his waist, prompting Westlake to shoot, hitting Boek in the chest, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Westlake has a license to carry a concealed weapon and he finished the police academy, Judd said.

Westlake called 911 and tried to “contain the bleeding and give him CPR,” Judd said in a news conference.

“The message is clear. Don’t message with an Uber driver. Leave the Uber driver alone, because he just may be a certified police officer in waiting,” Judd said. “This is a justifiable homicide all day long. You have the right to protect yourself. This is a classic, ‘stand your ground case.’”

Boek's criminal history includes previous arrests for aggravated battery, battery, burglary, marijuana possession, forgery, larceny, resisting arrest, and VOP. He was on felony probation for battery, which began in June 2016 and was scheduled to end in June 2021. His driver's license was suspended in May 2018, and the truck he was driving was borrowed from a friend, a news release said.

Deputies said they obtained a search warrant for the truck Boek was driving and found a marijuana cigarette and a glass pipe containing meth residue.

2. mrpjfresh

mrpjfresh Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Definitely a poorly written and confusing article. Had to read it twice to understand what was going on. I still am not even sure how Boek found the Uber driver unless his on-again/off-again go shared her location with this psycho methhead (allegedly...). Yet another example of why I reject these good Samaritan rides as soon as I see what is happening. Glad the officer in waiting is okay and hope the situation with this maniac doesn't derail his career or affect him too badly. Totally justified though, in my opinion, at least given the shoddy details in the article.

Is that all? That's not so bad... I mean, the guy was only given 10 chances to turn his life around. I'm surprised he didn't sign up to be a driver.

3. jlong105

jlong105 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    And now Uber will deactivate the driver for carrying a weapon...

4. Lee239

Lee239 Well-Known Member

The story doesn't make sense how is she still in the bar and in the Uber and not in the Uber and then in the uber.
    and is the guy with the beard the dead guy or the Uber driver?

tohunt4me likes this.
  5. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

This is what I don't like about Florida's "stand your ground" law. This is a classic case of traditional self-defense. "Stand your ground" has nothing to do with this case and will only muddy the waters.

The bad guy overtook the Uber and forced the driver to stop. Then the ******* -- unknown person to the driver -- threatens to shoot the driver. Then he makes a sudden move to his waist and draws a black object -- at night, on a rural (almost certainly unlit) roadway. The driver was hopefully paying attention in the police academy during the classes on use of deadly force and knew enough to say he was in fear for his life...and then shut up.

Moral of the story: Do NOT bring a cellphone to a gunfight.

And yes, the driver is done with Uber.

He's probably also done as a potential police officer, even though he did nothing wrong. Most departments are very risk-averse these days.

The story IS pretty poorly written, but watch the video and you'll understand what happened. The bearded guy is the dear-departed wannabe bad-ass, Jason. Oh well, at least he's off probation now!

Sheriff Grady Judd is a hoot! Listen to his remarks toward the end of the video, and also watch the Uber dashcam which starts with about 3 minutes left in the video.

6. Mrtgman

Mrtgman Active Member

7. Pulledclear

Pulledclear Well-Known Member

Can you say trigger happy.

8. New2This

New2This Well-Known Member

The Uber driver did society a favor

9. Uber's Guber

Uber's Guber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

10. pghuberaudi

pghuberaudi Well-Known Member

He'll probably get away with it. Florida has "Stand your ground." It was dumb on both of their parts. Dude should have never gotten out of his car, let alone threaten the other guy. Should have called the police. And unless the driver who approached the driver behind him pulled a weapon (which it doesn't sound like he did) then the driver in the back should have thrown it in reverse and backed away.

I've spent a little time in the Lakeland area which is near this place. It's a bunch of trailer park rednecks and this is typical behavior.

NoPooPool and 1974toyota like this.
  11. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Watch the video in the link

tohunt4me likes this.
  12. Kodyhead

Kodyhead Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    It will be an interesting case but looks like the cops are backing the driver who is police trained. The victim had a cellphone in his hand.

I wonder if a case can be made in another area with same situation as the police training may work against him.

13. pghuberaudi

pghuberaudi Well-Known Member

I missed the part that said "Police Training." That explains a lot. Escalating a situation, then when the person responds with a harsh response, escalate by shooting the guy. I've seen a lot of police with great de-escalating skills... unfortunately many go the other way and escalate to the point where they can justify using deadly force or using someone as a punching bag.

bsliv likes this.
  14. Kodyhead

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Looks like a pretty rural area "unincorporated" it could of been the only road to get to an area.

Also looks like the cops are backing the driver. Some may argue that the police training may hurt the driver but most likely a justified killing as the cellphone the driver was holding could be mistaken for a weapon

Some want stand your ground amended but it's not like elections are coming up or anything

tohunt4me likes this.
  15. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what I suggested in the post you quoted.

tohunt4me likes this.
  16. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Trigger happy? If someone cuts me off at 2am and as he exits the vehicle, doesnt hesitate to get into my face while uttering the words "i have a pistol and i will shoot you" I take that as him wanting to play the room temperature challenge.

Boek won!

If he had a gun and intent to use it, you dont have much time to react. The fact that Boek closed the gap so quickly means the Uber driver didnt have much time to think, only act. Pulling into reverse, if Boek had a gun and deadly intent as he claims, would have made the driver into swiss cheese with ease.

100% justified for the Uber driver

17. Kodyhead

Driving:
    UberSUV
    In one of the articles he alledgedly finished the police academy

Its Florida if you get a prescription for anxiety you can get a gun at walgreens with a free refill lol

18. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    QFT

Unfortunately the Uber driver is out of a gig but id rather be out of work than out of life.

19. KK2929

KK2929 Well-Known Member

-----

If you look at the video in the news link ( top of photo) things are a little clearer. It states that the bearded man is the deceased.
    The deceased was sitting in the parking lot of the bar, texting the girlfriend who was inside the bar and claiming that he could see what she was doing.
    The dead man's girlfriend HELPED a drunk woman into the Uber car and then went back into the bar.
    The deceased thought that his girlfriend was in the Uber car because he did not see her go back into the bar.
    The one thing that is not mentioned - the bar is on a busy multi-lane hwy. The truck stopped the Uber car on a two lane road, meaning that the deceased had been following them for some time.
    Example of what happens when -- alcohol is mixed with guns and stupidity.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  20. Uber's Guber

Uber's Guber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Know this, the mounted dash cam left no doubt that the aggressor was road raging and threatening to kill the Uber driver.
    Open & shut case.
    You got your dash covered, right?....

NoPooPool likes this.