Uber Driver Scam

michael0421

I have been driving with Uber two months in Las Cruces. Last night I received a request from a passenger "John". The request was in a generic location, not specific to an address, off of Spruce Street. On my way to the location, I had a local phone number on my phone come through from a 575 area code. I thought the call might have been a personal matter, as this is our local area code. However, the person identified as an Uber employee, calling on behalf of the rider request. According to the caller, the rider John wanted to cancel the request, as he had decided to get a Lyft ride instead. She stated that she was going to compensate me $25 for the cancellation fee. As we know, if after two minutes elapses, the driver app automatically applies a cancellation fee to your balance. The "operator" then went on to request my user id and password. My wife cashed me out, then we called Uber. This is a known scam, and the intent is to change your bank account and routing number to another account that is operated by the scamming operators. Uber emphasized that they will NEVER call your phone number for any reason Accordingly, if anyone in Las Cruces, or for that matter, anywhere else has this happen, hang up immediately. Here in Las Cruces, the phone number that was used to contact me in order to phish my information is (575)323-0121. If you try to call this number back, the automated voice identifies as Uber. This too is a scam. You will attempt to enter your number, but the prompt will state this number is not recognized in Uber's database. The intent of this voice message is to convince the Uber driver that the phone number is above board. Per Uber support, it isn't. This activity is happening every single day, so what I am writing here might not be a revelation to some driving in the Las Cruces community. However, if only one other person who drives for Uber for a living reads this, and pays heed to it, I have done my job.

Sammi Kurr

I have been driving with Uber two months in Las Cruces. Last night I received a request from a passenger "John". The request was in a generic location, not specific to an address, off of Spruce Street. On my way to the location, I had a local phone number on my phone come through from a 575 area code. I thought the call might have been a personal matter, as this is our local area code. However, the person identified as an Uber employee, calling on behalf of the rider request. According to the caller, the rider John wanted to cancel the request, as he had decided to get a Lyft ride instead. She stated that she was going to compensate me $25 for the cancellation fee. As we know, if after two minutes elapses, the driver app automatically applies a cancellation fee to your balance. The "operator" then went on to request my user id and password. My wife cashed me out, then we called Uber. This is a known scam, and the intent is to change your bank account and routing number to another account that is operated by the scamming operators. Uber emphasized that they will NEVER call your phone number for any reason Accordingly, if anyone in Las Cruces, or for that matter, anywhere else has this happen, hang up immediately. Here in Las Cruces, the phone number that was used to contact me in order to phish my information is (575)323-0121. If you try to call this number back, the automated voice identifies as Uber. This too is a scam. You will attempt to enter your number, but the prompt will state this number is not recognized in Uber's database. The intent of this voice message is to convince the Uber driver that the phone number is above board. Per Uber support, it isn't. This activity is happening every single day, so what I am writing here might not be a revelation to some driving in the Las Cruces community. However, if only one other person who drives for Uber for a living reads this, and pays heed to it, I have done my job.
Your mostly right on this and thank you for spelling out the dialogue of the scam. However, it was just the rider calling you trying to scam you. There was no point in putting the phone number there. That's Uber's relay number for when the Rider calls you or You call the rider. It's only active during the ride. It's a temporary gvoice number. You got that message because your number on there system is only active during the ride so it would'nt recognize your number outside of the ride. It's always a different number for each rider. There is like a rotation of numbers that link drivers to riders and vice-versa but only during the active ride.

Daisey77

Your mostly right on this and thank you for spelling out the dialogue of the scam. However, it was just the rider calling you trying to scam you. There was no point in putting the phone number there. That's Uber's relay number for when the Rider calls you or You call the rider. It's only active during the ride. It's a temporary gvoice number. You got that message because your number on there system is only active during the ride so it would'nt recognize your number outside of the ride. It's always a different number for each rider. There is like a rotation of numbers that link drivers to riders and vice-versa but only during the active ride.
it is not the passenger per say. it is a known scam Nationwide where they do order an Uber to be able to get in contact with the driver but it's not an actual passenger that was ever going to take a ride. They used to call and praise you for having such a high rating and therefore they wanted to give you a bonus. They would ask you for your email and passwords to confirm your account. By the time you got off the phone with them, your password and Bank info was changed and they had drained whatever money was in your Uber account

Sammi Kurr

it is not the passenger per say. it is a known scam Nationwide where they do order an Uber to be able to get in contact with the driver but it's not an actual passenger that was ever going to take a ride. They used to call and praise you for having such a high rating and therefore they wanted to give you a bonus. They would ask you for your email and passwords to confirm your account. By the time you got off the phone with them, your password and Bank info was changed and they had drained whatever money was in your Uber account
I see, then it's more elaborate. Then they must have these numbers written down and just sit somewhere in an office or Starbucks and post rides or dial the numbers local to a drivers location where they are seen on the map. Talk about keeping your guard up!

Daisey77

I see, then it's more elaborate. Then they must have these numbers written down and just sit somewhere in an office or Starbucks and post rides or dial the numbers local to a drivers location where they are seen on the map. Talk about keeping your guard up!
dial the numbers local to a driver's location? Huh?

You can't tell me you've heard nothing about this . This is been going on for a couple years now. Why do you think Uber added the recording you hear when you answer a phone call from a passenger? Hell, search this very forum. There are a ton of reports from drivers reporting it happened to them or it was attempted on them. Here's a couple articles for you to read when you get a chance

https://gizmodo.com/posing-as-uber-support-scammers-continue-to-dupe-drive-1824293667

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/04/17/scam-targets-uber-drivers/

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/03/27/con-artists-targeting-uber-drivers/

https://www.ktvz.com/news/scammers-target-bend-uber-drivers-in-phishing-scam/727276561

25rides7daysaweek

when you get a call like this pick it up and drive as fair and fast as you can. You'll be robbing them and they cant complain..

25rides7daysaweek

They'll cancel lol the ones going on here in Denver, actually cancel on their end instead of having the driver cancel it
my point was if you can start it before they cancel you'll get them instead.. I was going to start telling them ide rather talk about "doing your mother" then I was like they started this I should be getting paid here!!!

NUBER_420

I got a call once during a 4.0X surge, lady wanted me to cancel and hit no charge and give her my details. Well I hit start ride and drove around for about 5 miles and gave her bs info and kept rambling about random stuff. I got my nice little 20 bucks lol.