Uber Driver Rule #1: No Good Can Come From Answering the Phone

Mike887

It was a routine 'slow' day with four hours behind me and revenue siting $30. $%&@!

So I'm a little salty, but I know this is all Uber has to offer. :smiles:

I arrive to pick up my next ride and 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 minutes go by. So I happily "No Show" the ride and pull off...

Of course within a few minutes my phone rings. Since I'm already salty I didn’t answer the phone, plus I know the number one rule "Never answer your phone"!!! No good can come from it.

The caller called back five times. What were they expecting at this point, the ride is canceled!

As I continued to drive, it brought a smile to my otherwise lousy day.

Life of an Uber driver…

Last edited:

pizza guy

First thing I do after I cancel is check the destination so I know if I want to accept when they reorder.
You are right though, the absolute worst time to answer the phone is after canceling.

Sure

Lol, I answered the phone one time after cancelling a ride, learned my lesson. It was a pool, got a select right after it, thought it might have been the select calling me, it wasn't. Not going to do that again.

PRC

You guys have it all wrong...pick up the phone and just start talking in your own made up dialec ...Hello...I am ackmed from Voltar..How you ? You get a click everytime
I usually go with "thank you for calling your local sperm donor bank, would you like to schedule your next appointment?". Unfortunately the conversation never continues, they hang up right away :frown:

pizza guy

I usually go with "thank you for calling your local sperm donor bank, would you like to schedule your next appointment?". Unfortunately the conversation never continues, they hang up right away :frown:
When I delivered pizza I often had to call customers because they were in locked buildings like apartments, offices, or dorms. They'd call back later wanting to know who had called them or their boyfriend/girlfriend. My response depended on the tip. Sometimes I answered IRS and informed them they were being audited other times their significant other was having an affair.

Mindozas

After reading this thread I started using this "no answer" policy, i thought it makes sense. I burnt once answering and not getting cancel fee.
Last Friday night I just dropped off in Lakeview, got another ping from the next block to downtown. As soon as I got on Lake Shore got a call from Uber Pax (as it saved on my phone), i ignored it. Then again. I asked my current rider if he was butt dialing me lol he checked, he wasn't. Ok we go on, then another two times. Next thing I know between the passenger seat the screen lits up, i get another call which I answer this time-"yes, you left your phone in my car, I'm heading to downtown though, I will bring it back to you". After the drop off, i browsed the previous trip for the options, and it said Uber would allow 48 hours to meet in convenient place to return the left item. Well, it was close, it was no traffic, and I just would hate to be without my phone for a day or two, i drove back, returned the phone, guy gave me $13, all the cash he said he had.

75drive

NEVER pick it up because they'll ask you to cancel.....
I don't answer and on the rare occasions that I do like saturday night I usually cancel the ride! This @@@@@ calls me and asks where am I at? I said I'm driving in circles! She says why? I'm at Wabash and Madison and starts to give me directions. I told her" I don't need directions. I know how to get to Wabash and Madison! She replies then why are driving in circles? Because that isn't the address you put in! I hung up and cancelled

U for Uber

I don't answer and on the rare occasions that I do like saturday night I usually cancel the ride! This ***** calls me and asks where am I at? I said I'm driving in circles! She says why? I'm at Wabash and Madison and starts to give me directions. I told her" I don't need directions. I know how to get to Wabash and Madison! She replies then why are driving in circles? Because that isn't the address you put in! I hung up and cancelled
At that point of driving around for 5min+ which option did you click on to cancel and collect the $3.75? If you hit "No-Show", it's technically not a no show, since you never arrived. So could the rider dispute and get you in trouble?

Saturday night, I'm driving to pick up a POOL request following the pick-up directions and I get pinged for a second POOL pick up. The directions re-route and I end up at the first pax DROP OFF location.... lol. I get a call and they (idk if it was first or second pax) ask where I'm at. Turns out I'm kind of far, so I just told him to cancel or I will and I hung up. When I check my phone, it gives me the option to "Complete Ride" lol... I just hit complete ride without dropping the 2 pax and went on with the night.

Again.. no idea how any of this sh*t works.. so broken

75drive

At that point of driving around for 5min+ which option did you click on to cancel and collect the $3.75? If you hit "No-Show", it's technically not a no show, since you never arrived. So could the rider dispute and get you in trouble?

Saturday night, I'm driving to pick up a POOL request following the pick-up directions and I get pinged for a second POOL pick up. The directions re-route and I end up at the first pax DROP OFF location.... lol. I get a call and they (idk if it was first or second pax) ask where I'm at. Turns out I'm kind of far, so I just told him to cancel or I will and I hung up. When I check my phone, it gives me the option to "Complete Ride" lol... I just hit complete ride without dropping the 2 pax and went on with the night.

Again.. no idea how any of this sh*t works.. so broken
I put wrong address and am currently going back and forth with support for the $4 next time I'll wait at the address which is what I always do. I don't know what the @@@@ I was thinking.

U for Uber

I put wrong address and am currently going back and forth with support for the $4 next time I'll wait at the address which is what I always do. I don't know what the &%[email protected]!* I was thinking.
Yeah, once I don't need rides, like I have enough for the hourly G period, I'm going to turn into the Devil and as soon as the option on the phone says "I have arrived!" then I start my timer, don't answer any phone calls.

Because right now I call instantly or even before I arrive like a little goody two-shoes.

WestSubDriver

Definitely never answer after a cancel.

I usually error on the side of trying to find passengers even when they do the stupid thing and drop the pin somewhere else. Especially in the burbs when I'm not sure when the next request will come in.

This past weekend I arrived at the "pickup point" and after a minute or two call the pax and "hey, I'm just right out here in the dul de sac on whatever street". Of course he proceeds to tell me they are at some other address which I determine is 3 miles away! Anyway, I go ahead and proceed to the correct pickup. I like that the app, upon pickup, prompted me whether I wanted to adjust the fare. Sure! They got charged time and mileage for me having to reroute to where they actually were.

75drive

Yeah, once I don't need rides, like I have enough for the hourly G period, I'm going to turn into the Devil and as soon as the option on the phone says "I have arrived!" then I start my timer, don't answer any phone calls.

Because right now I call instantly or even before I arrive like a little goody two-shoes.
Why do you call? They know they requested a ride if they're not in your car within the prescribed time cancel and collect your fee!

U for Uber

Why do you call? They know they requested a ride if they're not in your car within the prescribed time cancel and collect your fee!
Yep for sure. I'm definitely leaning towards the dark side and it feels good! I now know how Anakin felt...

75drive

Yep for sure. I'm definitely leaning towards the dark side and it feels good! I now know how Anakin felt...
You say darkside I say that's the rules and the polite thing to do! Time is money when these dip shits think you're taking to long they're furious but it's okay for them to make us wait! Not in my @@@@inmg world 4 No Shows last night $16 for doing nothing but waiting 2 min or 5 min. I'll do that all day long!

SMH Uber

Thank you for this thread. I've stopped answering my phone. I usually don't answer but every know and again. I do. But now I would t ever again. *ring ring ring* all you want