Uber driver rating is a total joke

Jimmy44

Anyone who has driven for Uber knows there driver rating system is a total joke. Durring that joke 180 days of improvement wasn't Uber supposed to address and fix the rating system ? It still remains the joke of the rideshare industry. Lyft has a much better way of handling driver rating that Uber should adopt. The key word here is should we all know it won't. Just wanted to vent a bit as last nite some idiot gave me a 1 and I have no way to challenge or remove it.

Another Uber Driver

Have no idea what your saying
"Gryft" is a derogatory name for "Lyft". "Grift" is a word for petty swindling. It has recently become obsolete.

"Fubar" is a derogatory name for "Uber". It is an acronym: "Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition". The "F" part is usually a vulgar word, but, Forum Rules and general courtesy do not permit me to use it.

25rides7daysaweek

Anyone who has driven for Uber knows there driver rating system is a total joke. Durring that joke 180 days of improvement wasn't Uber supposed to address and fix the rating system ? It still remains the joke of the rideshare industry. Lyft has a much better way of handling driver rating that Uber should adopt. The key word here is should we all know it won't. Just wanted to vent a bit as last nite some idiot gave me a 1 and I have no way to challenge or remove it.
Let us know when you get 3 dueces!!

Jimmy44

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lyft drops your lowest rating. Does not match you up with rider that rates you low. Follows up on low ratings left.
Post automatically merged:

And Lyft gives you 5 stars if I rider does not rate you. That is huge and why more and more Uber drivers are using both apps.
Post automatically merged:

A 1 should have to be accompanied by a remark. Most just leave a 1 so as a driver you have no idea why.

Last edited:

waldowainthrop

Those are examples of how Lyft has a system that gives higher ratings to drivers. An example of a “better rating system” wouldn’t just be more fair to drivers. A better rating system would have side effects like better pay, better matching with passengers, more pings, better tips, protection from false complaints. Although I have heard claims about how maintaining higher ratings gets more pings on Uber, there is no evidence for that incredible claim.

Both rating systems are terrible. Both rating systems grade on such a curve that there is no measurable difference between a good, great or outstanding driver or passenger. 5 stars for almost everyone mean proper evaluations for almost no one. There isn’t even a measurable difference in outcomes like pay or success for drivers with good vs. great ratings.

Jimmy44

Because you can be deactivated for any rating below 4.7 a rider should no any rating below a 5 is failing and could get driver fired. A 4 is .70 below a 4.70 which can get the driver fired. Uber makes no attempt to let riders no how crucial feedback is.

waldowainthrop

Because you can be deactivated for any rating below 4.7 a rider should no any rating below a 5 is failing and could get driver fired. A 4 is .70 below a 4.70 which can get the driver fired. Uber makes no attempt to let riders no how crucial feedback is.
4.6 actually. Almost no one gets deactivated for low ratings.

How did they decide on such an arbitrary number as 4.6? They looked at the distribution of ratings that drivers get and got something that probably looks like a weighted bell curve, likely with the median and mode around the low 4.8 range. They likely found that the bottom 1-5% of drivers were in the <4.65 range. Those are the people who risk deactivation the most. Uber wants them off the platform.

And you are right about Uber not letting people know why or how ratings matter. But neither does Lyft. Again, both ratings systems are bad at doing what they are supposed to do: evaluate drivers and passengers and provide appropriate incentives and disincentives to improve the service.

DexNex

4.6 actually. Almost no one gets deactivated for low ratings.

How did they decide on such an arbitrary number as 4.6? They looked at the distribution of ratings that drivers get and got something that probably looks like a weighted bell curve, likely with the median and mode around the low 4.8 range. They likely found that the bottom 1-5% of drivers were in the <4.65 range. Those are the people who risk deactivation the most. Uber wants them off the platform.

And you are right about Uber not letting people know why or how ratings matter. But neither does Lyft. Again, both ratings systems are bad at doing what they are supposed to do: evaluate drivers and passengers and provide appropriate incentives and disincentives to improve the service.
Exactly correct.

DAF1003D-BB80-4530-A0D5-82E0959AFEF1.jpeg

Jimmy44

You are right and riders have to realize that Uber is a very smart company that knows exactly what they are doing. We may disagree with them but to think there reasons and decisions are anything more then cold calculated attempts to make maximum profits for investors is being naive.

MiamiKid

Will take Uber's rating system any day. Their system is 500 ratings versus 100. Yes, STRONGLY prefer the 500 ratings method.

Couldn't care less if I have 1☆'s on my record. Currently have seven. Who cares? Not me.

With 500 rides, a one star, or seven in my case, is not going to affect your rating significantly.

Moreover, have enjoyed every one, of my seven one ☆'s, and looking forward to many more!
👍

Last edited:

waldowainthrop

The rider is thinking a 4 is a B grade from school. In actuality it is an F. Uber knows this and is happy to have there drivers knocking themselves out chasing a rating that is unattainable.
I attained an “A+” average as a driver. The grass isn’t greener.

Whenever you find yourself thinking about ratings, force yourself to think about revenue, profit, and time instead.

DexNex

If you have 500 rated trips...

that is 500x5= 2500 possible points.

A single one-star reduces that to 2496 points.

that reduces your overall score from a 5.000 to a 4.992 (2496/500).

so a 1-star should only impact a veteran driver’s rating by 0.008. Virtually no impact on the overall rating.

#shutupanddothemath

MiamiKid

If you have 500 rated trips...

that is 500x5= 2500 possible points.

A single one-star reduces that to 2496 points.

that reduces your overall score from a 5.000 to a 4.992 (2496/500).

so a 1-star should only impact a veteran driver’s rating by 0.008. Virtually no impact on the overall rating.
Exactly correct. Much more impact with the Lyft system. My rating there is much lower. Surprised am not deactivated after 4 1/2 years!

Not worrying about ratings does wonders for my attitude.