1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber Driver in Phoenix releases dash cam video of Ottawa Senators trash talking their coach

Discussion in 'News' started by scott9002ca, Nov 6, 2018.

1. scott9002ca

scott9002ca

Driving:
    UberX
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/ot...ght-ripping-coaches-uber-video-031936291.html

Haven't seen this here yet, thought it was interesting. People are going nuts. I always kind of wonder whether people notice the dash cam in my car. It's super obvious, but actually friends don't even notice for a while, and I know this because they make comments, so are passengers really consenting? Either way, if I can't have a dash cam, I'm not driving Uber, so it's moot point, but in Canada, am I required to inform the rider somehow?

Jeeves likes this.

2. That's up to Canadian/Quebec law. Look at the Montreal pages for info.

In the US 39 states (and DC I think) allow single party consent. The other 11 the customer must be notified and not oppose the recording.

I will not drive without a dash cam, but I do not feel the need to post any recordings publicly.

I have had the famous and sports stars behave inappropriately.
    I had a country music star tell me to turn it off and I refused after his girl of the hour noticed the blinking light(He was from California, a two party consent state and complained and 1 starred me after the ride).
    I have had a BJ recorded.
    I have had a CEO of a publicly traded company discuss a tender offer while ignorantly staring at my camera.

None of these have I felt the need to embarrass, out, or shame (although I did watch the BJ a couple of times and I tried to figure out a way to personally benefit from the tender offer without blackmailing the CEO who should be fired for staring into a camera and discussing the terms over the phone).
    There are exceptions to that (being stolen from or assaulted, etc.) then I would post.
    But some players insulting their coach?? Not your or anybody else's business. Shame on the driver for feeling the need to upload that.

3. Bbonez

Bbonez

You only need two party consent if there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. I would argue you dont have a reasonable expectation of privacy in a stranger's car.

Danny3xd, touberornottouber and Bpr2 like this.
  4. METRO3

METRO3

Driving:
    Lyft
    It is not your private property when you accept a RIDE. It is then a business and as such needs to follow the rules set out in PIPEDA.

Damn your right it was in Phoenix. Awww so hoping he would get the boot but they might have different privacy laws.

5. scott9002ca

scott9002ca

Driving:
    UberX
    Agreed about the law, but there's more than just the law at stake here, there's whether Uber allows it. Is the dashcam not being hidden consent in and of itself since they could just walk out, or do I put a sticker saying that the ride is being filmed?

6. i'd put up a sticker...

Z129 and HotUberMess like this.
  7. HotUberMess

HotUberMess

I had a manager of a hotel chain with a branch in Saint Martin discuss their impending class-action lawsuit over cutting employee hours after a hurricane impacted tourism and how to get away with doing the right thing to “look good for now” and settle the lawsuit and then fire everyone after the publicity has died down. Bonus: guy mentioned to his wife that Saint Martin is half French and half British and their hotel is on the British side. Saint Martin is half French and half Dutch.

I *wish* I had a dashcam video to release. Lol

drive4lyft69 and scott9002ca like this.
  8. Disgusted Driver

Disgusted Driver

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Personally I think drivers should be deactivated for posting videos of rides online where there car, themselves or their reputation are not at risk. The only reason why you should be posting something online is to defend an allegation, prove that the pax lied or document criminal behavior towards you. Posting a conversation is inappropriate. I've had all manners of people, liberals, conservatives, sports stars, bankers, ... say foolish things. My job is to get them from A to B, not comment on their drunken ramblings.

9. HotUberMess

HotUberMess

At 53 cents per mile I just can’t bring myself to agree. Pax get what they pay for. Take a corporate taxi; the taxi company owns that video and they won't release it. We’re self-employed, remember?

10. Warning...

Vehicle is under surveillance and anything that happens in this video may end up on YouTube.

11. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    Yeah I did post it but put in the Canada section which apparently no Uber drivers know it care about, lol
    https://uberpeople.net/threads/the-...in-an-uber-they-ripped-their-own-team.293261/

I’ll add to the drama though:
    The Rich Eisen Show give their input on the matter:

“What would you rate that Uber driver?”

BostonTaxiDriver and Cableguynoe like this.
  12. scott9002ca

scott9002ca

Driving:
    UberX
    I think the Montreal thread gets a random post once a quarter or so from someone who used google to find this page. Not very useful.

13. Ashoor

Ashoor

I think I am more mad at he driver for doing this extremely stupid move. Like seriously??? Even if AZ laws allow this, it is common sense: would this guy be ok with someone filimg him cheating with another woman (assuming he is married) and showing it to his wife? Or how about filiming him trash talking his boss?

To make matters worse, this makes all of us drivers look bad and suspicious.

Z129, Ziggy, BostonTaxiDriver and 2 others like this.
  14. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    The players are extremely pissed that the Uber driver posted the video and team isn’t even worried about the stamensts made but the violation of privacy.
    Uber will start deactivating drivers for posting videos of passengers. I see it in their tos very soon.
    They won’t stop you from taking video but they can terminate your “partnership” for posting videos of a hired service.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...lli-maatta-sidney-crosby/stories/201811060103

Z129 and HotUberMess like this.
  15. goneubering

goneubering

Driving:
    UberX
    I would never post a video. It’s a very bad idea. Some people don’t think about potential consequences.

Termie, Z129, Ziggy and 2 others like this.
  16. observer

observer Moderator

Arizona is a one party consent state. Technically the driver could record video. Publishing it on the other hand ??? Dunno.

Z129 likes this.
  17. MUGATS

MUGATS Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    The Driver’s problem is with Uber at this point. Not legal.

I’m pro dash-cam but I think it’s pretty sleazy to do what he did.

If someone damaged my vehicle, abuses me etc.... all gloves are off. I’d publish it on YouTube.

To upload a private conversation with no reason other to try and monetize your video is another matter.

just_me, HotUberMess and Z129 like this.
  18. Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    How many pax are in that car? Looks like 7? Maybe they should splurge for another car next time.

19. dmoney155

dmoney155

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Or just stop trying to get rich via posting to youtube lol. Keep recording for potential defense in case someone falsely accuse you.

20. HotUberMess

HotUberMess