1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Featured Uber driver fired for carrying concealed weapon

Discussion in 'News' started by BurgerTiime, May 7, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

31 vote(s)
    14.4%
  2. No

185 vote(s)
    85.6%
  1. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    http://fox6now.com/2018/05/07/you-c...r-driver-fired-for-carrying-concealed-weapon/

MILWAUKEE — Should Uber drivers in Milwaukee be allowed to carry concealed weapons? One man is raising that question after the ride-sharing service fired him.

It all began in the early-morning hours in Brown Deer. An Uber driver, who asked to be referred to by only his first name, Stan, picked up a passenger.

"From the time he got in my car, he was whispering on the phone," Stan recalled.

Stan said the man wanted to make a stop, but Stan refused.

"Something just didn't feel right," Stan said.

When Stan arrived at the destination on Boehlke Avenue he said the passenger refused to get out of the car. Then, Stan heard the man speak some troubling words over the phone.

[​IMG]"He said, 'OK, I'm here. I need you to come out,' you know, 'let's do this,'" said Stan.

When a second man came outside, Stan thought he was about to be carjacked.

"I took out my concealed carry, I'm a licensed holder, from the glove box, and I exited the vehicle," Stan said.

He ordered the man out of the Uber and both men backed away. Stan drove to MPD's District 4 police station to report the incident and notified Uber.

[​IMG]

Soon after, Uber sent him a message saying, "We have decided to deactivate your account, effective immediately."

In other words, Stan was fired.

"I violated their community safety policy," Stan said.

Uber referred Contact 6 to their firearms policy. It states:

"Our goal is to ensure that everyone has a safe and reliable ride. That's why Uber prohibits riders and drivers from carrying firearms of any kind in a vehicle while using our app. [To the extent permitted by applicable law.] Anyone who violates this policy may lose access to Uber. "

"This is my car. I paid the car note. I paid the insurance. So you cannot tell me what I can do in my car," Stan argued.

[​IMG]Stan said carrying his concealed weapon made him feel safer while driving for Uber overnight.

"This is Milwaukee and you hear carjackings, attempted robberies and all this, you know, weekly," Stan said.

Nik Clark of Wisconsin Carry said an argument could be made that Uber is violating its drivers' concealed carry rights or the Castle Doctrine, which gives Wisconsin residents the right to "use of force in response to unlawful and forcible entry into a dwelling, motor vehicle, or place of business." (Sec. 895.62, Wis.Stats)

[​IMG]
    Nik Clark of Wisconsin Carry

"We don't really know where the courts would go on this one," Clark said. "Right now, based upon state law, it's a bit of a gray area."

Clark pointed out, Uber's firearms policy is hard to enforce.

"I know dozens of Uber drivers who are part of our organization who carry," Clark said.

One Uber driver who carries a concealed weapon spoke to FOX6's Contact 6 and asked not be identified.

"My life is certainly far more important than some little part-time job," he said. "If drivers are going to have no say about whether or not they're going to travel into areas that they feel are unsafe, then it's a little silly to not allow them the ability to protect themselves.

Anneliese Dickman of the Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort Fund said Uber's policy lowers the risk of an accidental discharge or firearm injury.

"It's been generally true that employers can prohibit firearms in the workplace," Dickman said. "Having a firearm in your presence actually increases your risk of injury, and so I think Uber is looking out for their employees and their customers."

"The law should supersede the business practice. Now, if Uber was providing my vehicle, then by all means, this is their office space, but that's not the case," Stan said.

Stan said he's contacted the National Rifle Association, the governor's office and various lawmakers about his termination.

The Department of Workforce Development sent Contact 6 the following statement about Stan's

"The state Equal Rights Division's enforcement authority is derived from State Statute Chapter 103, Wisconsin Fair Employment Law, which prohibits employers from discriminating against workers based on race, religion, sex, disability, age 40 and over, pregnancy, and several other protected classes. The statutes that were enacted regarding concealed carry are found under State Statute Chapter 175, which is outside of the enforcement authority the Legislature has given DWD.

We conveyed this information to Mr. Fields when he contacted the Equal Rights Division April 3, 2018, the same day he contacted the Governor's Office. We reaffirmed with Mr. Fields that our enforcement power is limited to the Wisconsin Fair Employment Law. We reviewed potential options available to Mr. Fields, including contacting a private attorney."

2nd amendment https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  2. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow

OP, make sure to file for unemployment. Drivers normally win. Even though Uber says we are not employees, we normally win unemployment benefits.

3. FormerTaxiDriver♧

FormerTaxiDriver♧

Driving:
    Lyft
    Where is the evidence to this?

Redsnapper1 likes this.
  4. njn

njn

"To the extent permitted by applicable law"

Nice clause.

5. Uberfunitis

Uberfunitis

I see nothing wrong with Ubers stance here as was stated in the article Uber can decide who they want to have access to their platform and base those determinations on any factor they choose provided a protected reason is not used.

DRII likes this.
  6. Cdub2k

Cdub2k

He was either going to be fired by Uber for defending himself or car jacked and/or possibly killed by a couple of Uber Riding scumbags. Apparently Uber values their right to carjack and kill the driver over the safety of the driver.

7. SurgeMasterMN

SurgeMasterMN

If I were the driver I would spearhead a movement with a team of Second Amendment Lawyers to Sue Uber for violation of our 2nd Amendment Rights. If a driver has gone through a Carry Class then they know the rules. Like dude mentioned it is his vehicle. If Uber supplies the vehicle then it is a different story. I am a huge supporter of the Second Amendment and believe people have the right to defend themselves. I am not into hunting or killing animals for game or food but people can do that if they wish. The right to protect yourself is a God Given Right. Carry States should be exempt from Ubers rules without Violating a Driver or Passangers Rights.

8. WHAT? U got something to back up that statement?

It’s good u know the subject driver personally. Because family members describe him as Paranoid Schizophrenic. Everyone’s out to get him.

many uber drivers are unemployable in main stream society because of Mental Defect.

Uber takes them in, then someone gives them a gun

phillipzx3 and forqalso like this.
  9. Uberfunitis

Uberfunitis

I am a big 2nd amendment support also! That does not force people to associate with you just because you exercise that right. To me it is no different than an company pulling all their advertisement from your magazine because you allow guns in your offices. Yes you have a right to have a gun if properly provided for in local and state laws but that does not force people to do business with you.

Ziggy and SurgeMasterMN like this.
  10. Rakos

Rakos

Driving:
    UberXL
    Isn't that what 911 is for...???

I still am of the belief...

That as long as I am behind the wheel...

My SUV will take care of me...

Besides...a monkey with a gun...

Can be scary enuff by itself...8>)

Just use your Trunk Monkey...

Rakos
    caesar-w-gun.jpg

11. Yes you have a right to have a gun if properly provided for ” And companies have a right to pull their advertising.

Uber and Uber’s clients dont want non-employee drivers ( many who have mental defect) to have weapons near Uber’s paying clients. aka: passengers.

Don’t like the rule? Delete the Uber Drivers App.
    Uber’s not commenting on gun ownership or your rights. Just drawing a line when you’re using their app with their clients.

If u feel in danger while driving, then driving strangers around IS NOT FOR YOU. Move on, get a job cleaning toilets. They rarely attack. Only overflow

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Ziggy, Demon, MiamiKid and 1 other person like this.
  12. he keeps in the glovebox? that's stupid....

13. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    That woman has a valid point. Employers have oversight in their employees work conditions. But you’re NOT an Employee! Even she can’t make the distinction!! The vast public majority think drivers work for Uber. Independent contractor my a*s!!
    [​IMG]

14. SurgeMasterMN

SurgeMasterMN

You may be missing the point of the Second Amendment. Both the Driver and Passenger have the right to carry if they are in a Carry State. Rights cannot be abolished especially on or in Private Property of your own (the driver).

If we wanted to be hypocritical about it as drivers we should be able to carry and ask every passanger if they are strapped. If they are let them know you do not drive armed individuals. If that was the case are we as drivers impeading on the passangers Second Amendment Rights?

I think this issue should be brought to the Supreme Court for a ruling to have it decided.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  15. Uberfunitis

Uberfunitis

The bill of rights is really about protecting people from the government not really from private entities.

16. SurgeMasterMN

SurgeMasterMN

You are correct... You never know when Sh1T will hit the fan even driving rideshare.

tohunt4me and Rakos like this.
  17. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow

do some searches, plenty of info

18. He should contact the NRA and I think if he does they'll push the issue.

I don't think this driver should have been deactivated, and I think drivers should be allowed to ****{legally}**** carry a gun while driving.

Still what I don't understand about this case is, since the driver pulled the gun, got the pax out of his vehicle, and then reported to police, why didn't he just drive that pax to the police and let the police handle the rider, with of course mentioning the phone conversation the pax had to the pax. I mean just saying that was his intent would have probably resulted in the pax getting out of the vehicle especially if he started driving.

The other thing is if I'm going to carry a gun it's going to be a lot closer to me than the glove box.

tohunt4me and Rakos like this.
  19. The driver is lucky he didn't get a menacing charge filed against him. Pulling a gun on someone and ordering them out of your car based on whispered phone conversation is a stretch. Now if his friend was coming down the walkway with a weapon in hand it's another story. I carry everyday, even when I Uber, and I have transported all sorts of people with guns, security officer, police officer, FBI agents, CBP officers, you name it, I don't care what they carry. But I assure you my gun is concealed on my person while driving, and all the training I have had when it comes down to it, if I pull it, I'm going to use it. I will have decided that my life or the life of someone I'm authorized to protect is in immediate life threatning danger, and lethal force is required. Anyone who has had training knows the reasonable force pyramid that starts at the bottom with non lethal, and works it way up to lethal force at the top. And someone with training should know better than to start waving a gun around until you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you were under the threat of lethal or severe bodily harm. I'm all about getting the jump on someone, but I think I would have turned off the car and bailed out with keys in hand and put some distance between the threat and me. Of course I'm not reaching into a glove box for my weapon, that's not going to do you any good when the time comes and you need it. Your already at a disadvantage drawing from a seated position, and loosing seconds off the clock without having to dig past insurance and registration documents trying to get your gun.

20. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

Driving:
    UberX
    If I drove in an area where I didn't feel safe, I'd carry my pistol. Luckily I'm not in such a place but some folks are. It's not Ubers butt that's going to get hurt in an attack, it's the driver. Pistol in glove box isn't as good as one on your hip. But fully concealed and no imprinting. If you feel threatened, stop, exit and create distance and hopefully the pistol won't be needed. I think a driver should be allowed to carry a pistol if done so legally. Uber doesn't care if a driver gets shot, hell, look at some places where we drive. Has a passenger ever been injured by a driver carrying a gun? Uber wants to portray a touchy feely lefty liberal persona, until it comes to firing people. They aren't pinko lefties when it comes to deactivating people.

tohunt4me, Adieu, anteetr and 3 others like this.