Uber driver finds wallet with $3K, goes great lengths to return it

SSuber

Finally: a feel-good Uber article!

http://wgntv.com/2016/07/26/uber-driver-finds-wallet-with-3k-goes-great-lengths-to-return-it/

CHICAGO -- When an Uber driver noticed a wallet left behind in his car, he knew what he had do -- he just wasn’t sure how to do it.

The passenger, who didn't speak english, had his life’s savings in that wallet, but neither could figure out how to connect.

The man had just landed at O’Hare. He moved to Chicago about a year ago after selling his business in Ukraine. His sister had ordered the Uber for him and he was lucky he got such an honest driver.

For the past three months Jose Figueroa has been making ends meet by driving for Uber. Figueroa likes to drive at night and likes the airport runs.

The ride started around 8 p.m. Monday at O’Hare when he tried picking up a passenger who didn’t speak much English. They finally connected, and despite the language barrier Figueroa figured out a few things about his passenger.

When the ride ended, the man got out and Figueroa headed back to the airport. When he got there he noticed a wallet on his back seat. He opened it up looking for an ID and found a lot more: $3,000.

The Uber driver app deletes the passengers phone number when the ride ends, but Figueroa decided to drive back to where he dropped him off to return the wallet.

He wasn’t about to give up, so he started ringing bells and explained to someone why he was here and started knocking on every door. He eventually gave the man and his sister back the wallet and they sent him on his way with a $100 reward.

He decided to get back on the road, but shared his good deed on Facebook.

WGN tried and tried to get in touch with the man and his sister, but they weren’t home today.

Mizan

I think two/three weeks ago, Uber send me an email, giving me pick up and drop off address (with time) saying this customer thinks she left something in my car and want to contact with me.

If I am happy to give my contact details to pax, I can 100% remember which trip it was ( as I do only weekend nights, about 40 trips). So I clearly tell them I can remember she took which car seat (front or back and other things those are genuine) and nothing left in the car.

hostertully

I had a girl I picked up from Northbridge along with her friends leave her Apple Watch in the back seat. Their destination was that bar/club that plays horrible music on Falcon St Crows Nest, or 'tha Crowie' as it was referred to. It was only until like the 4th ride afterwards that another passenger noticed the iWatch in my back seat. How does one leave their Watch you ask? Yes I pondered upon that mystery too. Luckily I was able to open the damned iWatch to the contacts page, and found a number for her mum, whom I called. This was Sat 10pm so I wasn't surprised the mum seemed a bit suspicious/worried. I used my least threatening sounding voice I could, which was probably an octave higher and much cheerier that what I sound like normally. Long story short, I made contact with 'The Girl with the Missing Watch'. I agreed to drive sometime in the night back to 'tha Crowie' before 12am. I did have a slight out of body moment as I was agreeing to this, as I knew this pledge of mine would cost me my own time for most likely zero reward. I remember seeing myself making the promise to return the iWatch, and at the same time yelling in my head "nooooo what are you doing???"". In fairness I would have been well in my rights to ask her to come and pick it up from wherever I was, but no, my delusions of chivalry precluded that. I drove from Bondi to Crows Nest to deliver this girl her Watch. As I parked the car in a no standing zone and walked towards the Crowie, I wondered what this girl's reaction would be. Would she offer a tip in gratitude, ie, like any decent person would? or, not? Well, as I had expected from Gen Y lady, no offer of a cash tip was given. Not that I was expecting anything in return mind you. The best I was hoping was that she'd at least offer a tip in gratitude, and I'd insist on declining like a gentleman. But no. No offer. Which I suspected as much from this young Gen Y type. Now call me sexist, but if it were a dude in this situation, and like this Gen Y layyydee, didn't even offer a tip for the returned iWatch, I'd get pretty mad about him, and consider him a c**t. Yet, somehow, I felt a lot less miffed about not being offered a tip, because she was a layyyydee. I can't seem to understand the logic there. So much for equality. The girl probably got her ear chewed out from her mum about it. Was it a feel good story? Probably for her, but it was annoying for me to be honest. Moral of the story? make sure your passengers don't lose anything, or else you'll be up for a 20min drive out of your way to return this lost thing.

SSuber

I had a girl I picked up from Northbridge along with her friends leave her Apple Watch in the back seat. Their destination was that bar/club that plays horrible music on Falcon St Crows Nest, or 'tha Crowie' as it was referred to. It was only until like the 4th ride afterwards that another passenger noticed the iWatch in my back seat. How does one leave their Watch you ask? Yes I pondered upon that mystery too. Luckily I was able to open the damned iWatch to the contacts page, and found a number for her mum, whom I called. This was Sat 10pm so I wasn't surprised the mum seemed a bit suspicious/worried. I used my least threatening sounding voice I could, which was probably an octave higher and much cheerier that what I sound like normally. Long story short, I made contact with 'The Girl with the Missing Watch'. I agreed to drive sometime in the night back to 'tha Crowie' before 12am. I did have a slight out of body moment as I was agreeing to this, as I knew this pledge of mine would cost me my own time for most likely zero reward. I remember seeing myself making the promise to return the iWatch, and at the same time yelling in my head "nooooo what are you doing???"". In fairness I would have been well in my rights to ask her to come and pick it up from wherever I was, but no, my delusions of chivalry precluded that. I drove from Bondi to Crows Nest to deliver this girl her Watch. As I parked the car in a no standing zone and walked towards the Crowie, I wondered what this girl's reaction would be. Would she offer a tip in gratitude, ie, like any decent person would? or, not? Well, as I had expected from Gen Y lady, no offer of a cash tip was given. Not that I was expecting anything in return mind you. The best I was hoping was that she'd at least offer a tip in gratitude, and I'd insist on declining like a gentleman. But no. No offer. Which I suspected as much from this young Gen Y type. Now call me sexist, but if it were a dude in this situation, and like this Gen Y layyydee, didn't even offer a tip for the returned iWatch, I'd get pretty mad about him, and consider him a c**t. Yet, somehow, I felt a lot less miffed about not being offered a tip, because she was a layyyydee. I can't seem to understand the logic there. So much for equality. The girl probably got her ear chewed out from her mum about it. Was it a feel good story? Probably for her, but it was annoying for me to be honest. Moral of the story? make sure your passengers don't lose anything, or else you'll be up for a 20min drive out of your way to return this lost thing.
This got me thinking (and angry). It's bad for the driver because, time aside, s/he is out of pocket for fuel, and likely missed fares.

I thought maybe go to the Uber office and leave it there, but some dodgy type could just pocket it. Best to hand it in to the nearest police station - it saves you time, and makes pax go out of their way. There should be a log created as well. Better yet, if nobody claims it within three months, you can legally claim it! (at least, that's how it used to be).

Have any current or ex cabbies here got any stories about lost items and how they dealt with them?

WollyDriver

I've had a mobile phone left behind. Short story, they called, I didn't answer while driving, called back, arranged to drop back later in the night (same address I dropped them at - some pub). About 1.5 hours later, I no longer get a stacked ping, set my destination to the address, 30 seconds, get a ping. I think I wonder how this will work (first time using set destination). Drop off pax, look up where am I supposed to drop off the phone, realise I'm already parked (different entrance). Call orig pax, they come out, give them the phone, no reward.
Few weeks later, girl leaves her credit card in the back, calls me, I find it, drop off was CBD, I'm back in the area so call her to collect it, short story, picked up $10 reward, and a respectful thank you.
It's hard to "do something extra" and not expect a reward, but I guess it makes you feel decent. I think Uber policy dictates returning to the pax, or drop off at Uber office, I don't think they allow for drop off at Police Station, though that does sound like the right choice.
PPS, pax left his dirty thongs (flip flops, fancy brand name) in the back. I reported to Uber, never heard back, so I binned them.
Random bottle tops, cups, mentos wrappers, etc all go straight in the bin. One day I might try returning those to the Uber office so they can be returned to the pax :smiles: