Uber driver escapes abduction at knifepoint by jumping out of her car at 60 mph

Another Uber Driver

She’s not supposed to escape with her life by all means even if it means to jump out of a speeding car ?

No, she weren't 'appposta' be doin' no off-app-lee-kay-shinn kash rides.

I'm sure she was promptly deactivated

As this is the equivalent of a street hail; and; as Uber de-activates no questions asked if a driver accepts a street hail and it finds out about it; I would not be surprised.

....not an uber ride. What do we learn from this?

I will not do off-application rides.
I will not do off application rides.

1589461764025.png

May 12 UPDATE: A representative from Uber said the incident did not take place when the rider and independent driver were using the Uber app and was not an Uber trip. Uber said it is against its community guidelines to get in contact once a trip is completed.

..................funny, no mention of an off-application job............................

credit card terminals make a straight up robbery of a taxi virtually pointless. Who carries cash?

This has been one of the side benefits of mandatory card acceptance by drivers. Most of the cab robberies here these days have been serial. All of the serial robbers have been caught. Every time that the same thug pulls a robbery, his chances of getting popped increase geometrically. They rob driver one, they do not get enough money for the drug man, so they rob another. Still, there is not enough money for the drug man, so the thug robs another. He keeps up with this and gets popped.

I think it's more dangerous in an uber...

I have read about more incidents that involved Uber/Lyft drivers here, of late than cab drivers. The one difference is that I am aware of only one Uber driver's being killed, here, I am aware of three cab drivers, recently.

ariel5466

I'm glad she survived I just wished she could have slowed down another 15-20 MPH to soften the blow

She was on the highway, and probably panicking. I can see how it could've happened. Her flight or fight response kicked in and she wasn't thinking clearly. She probably just thought to get away immediately, whatever the cost.

Buck-a-mile

A Nashville-based Uber driver survived a terrifying attempted kidnapping last week, according to a report from News Channel 5. The passenger in the back seat allegedly pulled a knife on the driver, 26-year-old Carolina Vargas, but she escaped by jumping out of the vehicle onto the highway.

Vargas first encountered Christopher Miller on Tuesday, May 5, when he ordered a ride and claimed his semi-truck had broken down. Vargas dropped Miller off at a hotel in Cleveland, Tennessee, outside Chattanooga near the Georgia border. As drivers often do to secure extra work, she made plans to pick him up and drive him to his truck in Nashville on Friday. She did just that, but this time, it was without the use of the Uber app.

Once the two were on the road, Miller allegedly pulled a knife, hit Vargas in the ribs, and forced her to drive into Georgia. Fearing for her life, Vargas jumped out of her vehicle onto the highway in order to escape. The Ford Explorer was reportedly going about 60 mph at the time. In addition to injuries sustained from the impact, Vargas' leg was also run over by the rear tire of the Explorer.

Somehow, Vargas did not break any bones, but she did sustain fairly serious injuries all over her body and is missing some teeth. "I didn't do anything to trigger him," Vargas told News Channel 5. "He put the knife here in my side and said, 'Now you are going to do what I say.'"

Vargas was able to provide police a photo of Miller, as she said she often takes pictures of her trips and passengers. Police were also able to obtain information from the Cleveland hotel. Although Miller fled the scene of the crime, police reportedly tracked his phone's GPS and located him at a Jacksonville, Florida, hotel, where he had several weapons.

In a statement to News Channel 5, an Uber representative said Vargas was not using the ride-sharing app at the time. Therefore, it was not an Uber trip and was against community guidelines to contact a customer without the use of the app.

She's toast.

Uberguyken

And to add insult to Injury I'm sure Uber deactivated her....
Post automatically merged:

Never bring a knife to a gun fight sir.
Why can't I get these idiots in my car.. besides the different ending.. I'd have dash cam footage of his final mistake In life....

UberChiefPIT

So many questions:
Why is she driving Uber in a Ford Explorer?
What was that creep hoping to accomplish? (OK, I think I don't want to know)
Is that the first time that the creep has assaulted/raped/murdered a woman?
Was jumping out at 60mph really the best option? (Though I shouldn't second guess her. She must have panicked when threatened with a knife).
How did the assailant in the back seat get control of the driverless vehicle going 60mph?
Why is Uber such a shitty company, can't even lend a compassionate word for an Uber driver who met a creep through the app?
Just grab the steering wheel and keep it on the road until it coasts to a near stop. As it gets slower and slower, climb into front seat and hit brakes, too.

whatyoutalkinboutwillis

A Nashville-based Uber driver survived a terrifying attempted kidnapping last week, according to a report from News Channel 5. The passenger in the back seat allegedly pulled a knife on the driver, 26-year-old Carolina Vargas, but she escaped by jumping out of the vehicle onto the highway.

This is why I never take trips off app. Never.

njn

If this happened in a blue state like NY, the police would impound her car and fine her $2000 for running an illegal taxi.

itsablackmarket

Is Uber surprised she chose a cash trip over getting ripped off by them? Besides, if someone wants a return trip, and you are already heading that way, why the hell wouldn't you say yes? You would sound like you're making excuses if you say no and this could be interpreted negatively by the stranger who is in your car offering their number for a return trip. It catches drivers off guard even if they don't really want to do it deep down. So most will just agree to it because there was no training on how to say no to this and no education given to riders that there is a strict policy against off app arrangements.