Uber driver bullying passengers.

CraigB

I am not sure how to explain this scenario. My roommate uses Uber about 3 or 4 times a week. yesterday she took a UberX ride to a mall near where we live. The trip there was fine. But the UberX trip back later in the evening was a bit unusual. When she made her request for the ride back. There was a driver present in the parking lot already which isn't too uncommon because its a popular mall. He accepted the ride and then immediately called her to see where she was. My roommate got in the car and the driver told her that the destination address did not show up on his phone. She confirmed that the address was present but he asked to see her phone.

Not sure what to expect she did allow him to see the phone. He appeared to fiddle with it and then did something with his own phone and said. Ok there it is its fixed now.

He gave her back the phone and at the end of the trip he indicated that he gives all of his female passengers a 5 star rating and that she should give him a five star rating as well. He actually wanted to see her submit the rating. At this point my friend felt a little intimidated but she gave the 5 star rating because she felt like she had to in order to be let out of the vehicle.

When she told me what happened I agreed with her that it was strange that he needed to see her phone and that he was essentially compelling her to give him a 5 star rating because he gave her one due to her gender.

Upon reviewing her trip log it showed that her UberX ride was canceled and the reordered as a UberXL. This resulted in a significantly higher rate. When she filed a complaint with Uber the response was the canned "Sorry you were not happy with your trip. Here is a $5 credit. Have a nice day" response.

My friend has never ordered a UberXL ride and the trip in question is a relatively short one. From what we have been unable to gather is that the driver canceled the ride from her phone and resubmitted at the UberXL level so he could get a higher fare. Then bullied her into a 5 Star rating.

This behavior is wrong on so many levels. The driver is not only misrepresenting Uber and stealing from both them and customers. But he is clearly cherry picking female customers in hopes of manipulating the fare and guaranteeing a 5 star rating.

So far we haven't been able to get Uber to own up to this and we could use some feedback on how to best to make Uber aware of the seriousness of this issue.

Any constructive feedback this community can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

Rat

I am not sure how to explain this scenario. My roommate uses Uber about 3 or 4 times a week. yesterday she took a UberX ride to a mall near where we live. The trip there was fine. But the UberX trip back later in the evening was a bit unusual. When she made her request for the ride back. There was a driver present in the parking lot already which isn't too uncommon because its a popular mall. He accepted the ride and then immediately called her to see where she was. My roommate got in the car and the driver told her that the destination address did not show up on his phone. She confirmed that the address was present but he asked to see her phone.

Not sure what to expect she did allow him to see the phone. He appeared to fiddle with it and then did something with his own phone and said. Ok there it is its fixed now.

He gave her back the phone and at the end of the trip he indicated that he gives all of his female passengers a 5 star rating and that she should give him a five star rating as well. He actually wanted to see her submit the rating. At this point my friend felt a little intimidated but she gave the 5 star rating because she felt like she had to in order to be let out of the vehicle.

When she told me what happened I agreed with her that it was strange that he needed to see her phone and that he was essentially compelling her to give him a 5 star rating because he gave her one due to her gender.

Upon reviewing her trip log it showed that her UberX ride was canceled and the reordered as a UberXL. This resulted in a significantly higher rate. When she filed a complaint with Uber the response was the canned "Sorry you were not happy with your trip. Here is a $5 credit. Have a nice day" response.

My friend has never ordered a UberXL ride and the trip in question is a relatively short one. From what we have been unable to gather is that the driver canceled the ride from her phone and resubmitted at the UberXL level so he could get a higher fare. Then bullied her into a 5 Star rating.

This behavior is wrong on so many levels. The driver is not only misrepresenting Uber and stealing from both them and customers. But he is clearly cherry picking female customers in hopes of manipulating the fare and guaranteeing a 5 star rating.

So far we haven't been able to get Uber to own up to this and we could use some feedback on how to best to make Uber aware of the seriousness of this issue.

Any constructive feedback this community can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig
You can go back and change the rating to a 1*. The driver committed fraud. You can report him to the local police for that, but I doubt they will do anything

CraigB

You can go back and change the rating to a 1*. The driver committed fraud. You can report him to the local police for that, but I doubt they will do anything

Thanks for your feedback Rat. They way I understand it, we need cooperation from Uber to press any kind of charges. if we don't get a satisfactory response from Uber then we can dispute it through Paypal. But its a much bigger issue than that. A driver manipulating the fare and coercing positive ratings out of people reflects badly on Uber as a company and on drivers as a whole. We more than willing to tackle Uber on this. But it was just my personal impression that the driver and rider community should be on the lookout for this type of behavior and/or if anyone else has experienced it before.

Another Uber Driver

Just as my hack licence does not go into anyone's hand, my telephone does not, either. Let that be a lesson for the future.

What you do with Uber's response is send an e-Mail back with "PLEASE ESCALATE" in the subject line. Tell whoever reads it in Pondicherry that the canned response was not satisfactory, that the driver committed fraud and you want a satisfactory resolution to your problem. Let Uber know what you want it to do: full refund of the trip cost, de-activation of the driver, a free ride in addition to the refund......whatever it is that you want.

Rat

Thanks for your feedback Rat. They way I understand it, we need cooperation from Uber to press any kind of charges. if we don't get a satisfactory response from Uber then we can dispute it through Paypal. But its a much bigger issue than that. A driver manipulating the fare and coercing positive ratings out of people reflects badly on Uber as a company and on drivers as a whole. We more than willing to tackle Uber on this. But it was just my personal impression that the driver and rider community should be on the lookout for this type of behavior and/or if anyone else has experienced it before.
Uber will usually side with the pax over the driver. I doubt you will have any problem getting the driver terminated. Prosecuting him is less sure.

drexl_s

She has history on her phone of what he did. No need for Uber coop. Just call police, file a report, show the transaction history as evidence. Send report to Uber, and let them deal with it. With all the bad press, doubt they will do nothing. Nothing will come of this criminally, as all he has to say is you made the change, but at least Uber might deactivate him for a while at least. Until next person comes forward.

MoneyUber4

Thanks,
Craig
Driver just wanted to confirm that she was the right passenger. In the past, other paxs have requested rides on the same area or location. (it is a mall or it could be an Airport) Drivers had picked up the wrong paxs and had not been paid for their mistake. Also there have been cases where the drivers picked up the wrong pax and were in an accident which Uber refused to cover any cost. All the fault goes to the driver for not confirming the pax's ID.
It is UBER faults for that doubt, as drivers don't have a picture of the pax's on the request.

On the UberXL request, I would suggest you to continue contacting Uber or file a complaint with the Attorney General of Florida, go to their web page. Uber should be regulated and politicians are playing with people's safety.

CraigB

Just as my hack licence does not go into anyone's hand, my telephone does not, either. Let that be a lesson for the future.

What you do with Uber's response is send an e-Mail back with "PLEASE ESCALATE" in the subject line. Tell whoever reads it in Pondicherry that the canned response was not satisfactory, that the driver committed fraud and you want a satisfactory resolution to your problem. Let Uber know what you want it to do: full refund of the trip cost, de-activation of the driver, a free ride in addition to the refund......whatever it is that you want.

Thanks for the feedback. The escalation process is pretty much where we are at right now. But from where we stand its the deception and coercion that concern us. When he asked for the phone he said he needed to see it because the destination address did not show up on his device. The Uber app from my own experience doesn't allow me to request a ride without a destination address. So it had to show up on his phone in order for him to even get a ping and accept. If I am wrong about this then so be it. Then there is the whole "I give all of my 'Female' passengers 5 stars. Now you need to give me 5 stars also". That sounds creepy to me and totally in appropriate. It may sound like we are making a bigger deal of it than it is. But if there is some guy out there cherry picking female passengers and manipulating their fares to earn an extra buck and get an undeserved high rating. Then Uber as well as the community of riders and drivers should take a look at the system and take steps to prevent these types of situations from developing in the future.

Cctx61

Driver just wanted to confirm that she was the right passenger. In the past, other paxs have requested rides on the same area or location. (it is a mall or it could be an Airport) Drivers had picked up the wrong paxs and had not been paid for their mistake. Also there have been cases where the drivers picked up the wrong pax and were in an accident which Uber refused to cover any cost. All the fault goes to the driver for not confirming the pax's ID.
It is UBER faults for that doubt, as drivers don't have a picture of the pax's on the request.

On the UberXL request, I would suggest you to continue contacting Uber or file a complaint with the Attorney General of Florida, go to their web page. Uber should be regulated and politicians are playing with people's safety.
BS. There is no reason ever for the driver to ask to touch her phone. He's supposed to confirm her name and destination. What more would he need? If he was unsure she was the correct passenger based on her name and destination, he's paranoid but he could ask what the driver name was on her app. Uber may have faults but there is no way you can hang this on them.

Another Uber Driver

When he asked for the phone he said he needed to see it because the destination address did not show up on his device.

Then there is the whole "I give all of my 'Female' passengers 5 stars. Now you need to give me 5 stars also". That sounds creepy to me and totally in appropriate.

That guy fed your roommate a line of garbage. There is no reason ever to hand a driver your telephone. Do not do it, ever. The driver was being ncikel slick, that is all. Do not ever give your telephone to your driver.

It is, in fact, creepy and inappropriate. You have no satisfaction from the guy in Pondicherry with a second-grader's command of the English Language. The next e-Mail will go to the same office in Pondicherry, but to someone who has a command of the English Language that approaches that of a high school freshman. The odds of your getting satisfaction improve, but are not good, Y-E-T. After two more escalations, you might actually get it to a native speaker of the English Language who has a literacy level above that of a junior in high school. At that point, you should receive some satisfaction, but the probability is still less than 1.

BS. There is no reason ever for the driver to ask to touch her phone.

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

mother1987

That guy fed your roommate a line of garbage. There is no reason ever to hand a driver your telephone. Do not do it, ever. The driver was being ncikel slick, that is all. Do not ever give your telephone to your driver.

It is, in fact, creepy and inappropriate. You have no satisfaction from the guy in Pondicherry with a second-grader's command of the English Language. The next e-Mail will go to the same office in Pondicherry, but to someone who has a command of the English Language that approaches that of a high school freshman. The odds of your getting satisfaction improve, but are not good, Y-E-T. After two more escalations, you might actually get it to a native speaker of the English Language who has a literacy level above that of a junior in high school. At that point, you should receive some satisfaction, but the probability is still less than 1.

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wouldn't be so sure about this. I mean, I have also been handed a rider's mobile phone when their destination wasn't showing on my phone, my GPS had totally dropped, and they couldnt speak enough English to actually explain to me where they wanted to go.

CrazyT

I have had the app not show a destination, notoriously where the pick up and drop off locations say the same thing but the map shows a real destination. In cases where there is a language barrier, I've taken my phone off the holder and by pointing to screen areas and their phone they either wered able to update the destination so it showed up, or showed me the screen and I updated it on my end. No one should be touching someone else's phone. That's just wrong.

mother1987

I have had the app not show a destination, notoriously where the pick up and drop off locations say the same thing but the map shows a real destination. In cases where there is a language barrier, I've taken my phone off the holder and by pointing to screen areas and their phone they either wered able to update the destination so it showed up, or showed me the screen and I updated it on my end. No one should be touching someone else's phone. That's just wrong.
I didn't ask for the phone, she shoved it into my face. Sheesh. I was so embarrassed about the GPS dropping out (this was my 2nd job ever, btw), I wasnt going to say no.

MrJay

As a driver I had tons of riders just throw me there phones and say here can you please do it. Also the driver probably gave her a 1 star, because the way the story sounds like. He wanted to make sure he got stars before he gives the rider 1 star. Because of the short trip. I have heard Irl riders of 1 staring all short trip.

MrJay

Guys it's all hear say. Laws are different. Who's knows where craig friend got picked up. If there trying to make a buck. So in all honestly if there's no prove. Than I believe. This is what we call shake it off. Confirm the driver before you enter. That's my thoughts atm. There's always two sides. So I try not to judge. To get the correct story. Need to hear it from the horses mouth.

MSUGrad9902

It's possible she accidentally ordered an XL in the first place. I'm not sure he could cancel and re-request a higher base fare without her noticing at the time. However, keep escalating with uber until you are satisfied. I agree there is no reason to give the driver your phone or any personal belongings.

baymatt

Thanks,
Craig
did you ever think that maybe he was just checking the waybill?
and maybe, just maybe, she ordered an UberXL on her own by mistake because the two look strikingly similar?

Ive been a driver for a year and people order pool rides by mistake all the time without realizing it until someone else gets in the car.

do you know how little we get paid? do you know how little control we have over the actual ride cost? we can't do shit to you

AuxCordBoston

did you ever think that maybe he was just checking the waybill?
and maybe, just maybe, she ordered an UberXL on her own by mistake because the two look strikingly similar?

Ive been a driver for a year and people order pool rides by mistake all the time without realizing it until someone else gets in the car.

do you know how little we get paid? do you know how little control we have over the actual ride cost? we can't do shit to you
Craig has not been on this forum since August 2016.

CenCal559

The police cannot do anything, it is a civil matter. It is no different than working at a Taco Bell, fire him and hold any wages he has incurred, what`s he going to do, file against you? They will do nothing but deactivate, not even worth the effort.

Rat

The police cannot do anything, it is a civil matter. It is no different than working at a Taco Bell, fire him and hold any wages he has incurred, what`s he going to do, file against you? They will do nothing but deactivate, not even worth the effort.
With holding wages is totally different. The employee can file a complaint with the NLRB and get his money fairly quickly and the employer will be fined heavily