1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber driver arrested after turning in phone

Discussion in 'News' started by BurgerTiime, May 8, 2018.

1. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    https://amp.cbs46.com/story/38133714/uber-driver-arrested-after-turning-in-phone
    Published: May 7, 2018
    [​IMG]

A metro Atlanta Uber driver said a passenger left a cell phone in her car.

“When I found the phone, being that the office is so far, I normally wait until I get a collection of things because people leave things all the time, so I could make one trip,” the driver, who did not want to be identified said.

A few weeks later, she said she dropped the phone off at the Uber office near Clairmont Road.

“At that time we didn’t have anything in place where you could contact the rider and give them their phone back,” she said.

She said in February of 2017, she received a text message from someone claiming to be a detective looking for the phone.

“I told them the phone is at Uber,” she explained. “They said that they had contacted Uber and there was no record of the phone being turned in so at that point I told them if you are the police, they would not have told you that so at that point I did not believe them.”

Fast forward to last Thursday, on May 3, the woman said she was pulled over for speeding in Cobb County by a state trooper.

“He said umm you’re not being arrested but I’m going to have to detain you, there’s a warrant out for your arrest in Dekalb County.”

The warrant was for theft of lost/mislaid property and the offense date is January 1, 2017. The passenger who left the phone behind went to police. After being detained by state troopers, Cobb County police took her to jail, where she spent the night.

“It was a horrifying experience,” she said. “It was very degrading, very embarrassing.”

The next day she was transferred to Dekalb County, where the warrant was issued. After bonding out, she said Uber shut deactivated her account.

“I’ve been with Uber almost four years, it’ll be four years in July. I have over seven thousand trips under my belt. I have, out of a five star rating, I have a 4.92 so I’m not an irresponsible person.”

There really is no clear-cut policy for retrieving items left behind in an Uber. By phone, an Uber spokesperson said the best way to get something back after a trip ends is to “work it out with the driver”.

On its website, Uber washes its hands clean of missing items, stating

Drivers are independent contractors. Neither Uber nor drivers are responsible for the items left in a vehicle after a trip ends. We're here to help, but cannot guarantee that a driver has your item or can immediately deliver it to you.”

The driver said she has lost hundreds of dollars over the incident.

“Hopefully this will help me get my account activated because I have not done anything wrong,” she said. “I’ve done exactly what i was supposed to do.”

Uber responded to CBS46’s requests for comments Monday afternoon. A spokesperson confirmed the driver did drop the phone off at the Atlanta driver support hub.

We’re told the rider was able to retrieve the phone from the hub. The spokesperson goes on to say the rider did not inform police that she had picked up the phone.

2. Cdub2k

Cdub2k Well-Known Member

You are better off turning the phone in to the police than to any Uber Hub. They seem to be forgetful and quick to throw Us under the Bus.

3. HotUberMess

HotUberMess Well-Known Member

Uber didn’t throw anyone under the bus here. Three weeks is the soonest she could have turned the phone in? Come on.

Anyeay this is a non-issue now; Uber pays you a return item fee

4. Aztek98

Aztek98 Well-Known Member

4 years and all those rides and you still screwed it up.

Sigh....

5. Jo3030

Jo3030 Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Turn it into the Police
    They give you a receipt
    Hopefully the furthest police department possible.

6. Wh4tev3r!!!!

Wh4tev3r!!!! Well-Known Member

This can't be the whole story. What will stop any passenger from filing false police reports on any driver they want? Drivers will be subject to warrants anytime a passenger even thinks they left a phone behind? How can a driver prove they don't have the phone in their car? It seems like the police didn't need solid proof that the phone was left in an Uber drivers car before they issued a warrant. Very frightening!!!

7. Uberfunitis

Uberfunitis Well-Known Member

It seems to me that the police tried to clear it up by doing some text messaging in a voluntary encounter. The person did not believe that they were police and ended communication with them. They felt that they had enough evidence and so did a judge it seems given the driver basically refused to help them get to the bottom of it all.

Jree, Bro Olomide and Wh4tev3r!!!! like this.
  8. Stevie The magic Unicorn

Stevie The magic Unicorn Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    yet another reason i would rather drive a taxi. Lost and founds...

I know that i can drop lost or founds off 24/7 at the shop and wipe my hand of these problems. And i know that the police have to contact the cab company in order to get enough information to be able to file charges...

There's a certain legal buffer that not using your own car provides. Namely...

I know the police will contact the cab company in the event of these allegations and they arn't so quick to file charges with taxis. Mostly cause all Le paxhole can get off me is "Scott" and my cab number. Which isn't enough to file charges without contacting the cab company first.

As apposed to uber that doesn't even have a phone number for the police to call.

(trust me when i say this)
    The first instinct of Le Paxhole is to call the cab company...

"so a driver has your cell phone? Let me call the driver.." says the cab company..

"the driver is X miles away, you can pay the meter or you can pick it up from the shop when the driver turns it in" the cab company tells the customer.

Let's say Le paxhole decides to call the cops anyway...

"So you say a cab driver has your cell phone? Call the cab company and come back later.." says the cop. (Seriously a cop won't file a police report on this LOL)

Let's say Le Paxhole lies and tells the cops they called the company and DIDN'T
    The first thing the cop HAS (as in MUST) do is call the cab company to get my full legal name and address.

"This is officer Blank of Orange county Sherrif's office, i need the contact info for Stevie who is driving 923"

"What time did something allegedly happen?"

"It was cab 923"

"but what time? Multiple people drive many of the taxis" they ask the cop.

"2:30 AM"

"Why?"

"Someone says the driver has his cell phone"

"Hold a second"

"I-phone 10?"

"yes" replies the cop.

"it's at the shop (324 w gore st Orlando Building number 1), they can either pick it up or pay to have a taxi deliver it. "

(at this point there is no cop on earth that is going to bother filing charges)

"problem solved Le Paxhole, go to the shop and pick it up. 324 w gore st Orlando, bulding number 1. Or you can pay to have it delivered" the cop tells Le Paxhole.

So much easier for the cops than filing a police report. It's funny how having a local business makes this a different matter than being a cell phone app with zero local presence aside from ICs.

With uber there is nothing for the cops to do but file a police report.
    Driving a taxi... the cops have to call the company to file charges.

Thanks for giving me another reason not to drive uber anymore.

9. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Seems grounds for a false arrest lawsuit. The item was lost, so it wasn’t stolen.

10. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    Georgia must have some pretty lame laws. In nearly every state you must have 3 factors for a charge of theft.

1) an item that was stolen
    2) a person that stole the item
    3) and fully intending to steal the item

There is no way in hell that this driver ever intended to steal, keep, sell or transfer that phone for any reason. She has a very good case for false arrest and false imprisonment.

11. HotUberMess

HotUberMess Well-Known Member

Gore street? No wonder Mears drivers are always cutting me off at the Kaley exit ramp in a desperate move to turn north onto Division. How many times have I seen you there and not even known who you were? Because that’s my ramp. To my house. Haha

Highland Hauler likes this.
  12. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

the pax must have known the judge or da, there was no theft here, they just wanted to be aholes

if he pax gets reactivated, i would just dump all phones in the trash using something so as to not leave fingerprints

there wouldnt be any way for them to prove you stole it if they cant prove you ever had it

dman0617 likes this.
  13. Kodyhead

Kodyhead Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    At least come up with a better excuse than I was waiting for lost items to pile up before turning them in lol

14. UberBastid

UberBastid Well-Known Member

Drop the phone in the nearest and next mail box.
    From then on ... "Don't have a phone, never saw a fone, no fone in my car, I looked ... don't know anything about a fone, hell, I can't even spell fone."

15. Kodyhead

Kodyhead Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Is that like when a restaurant doesn't use real crab so they spell it krab? Lol

Highland Hauler likes this.
  16. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    [​IMG]

2Cents and Rakos like this.
  17. westsidebum

westsidebum Well-Known Member

I'm surprised at how many drivers assume that a driver is responsible for personal property left in car. I had someone leave a purse in my car and I did not see it until the next passenger brought it to my attention. The next pax, a female, could have easily stolen the purse and I would have had no clue. It gets even more confusing if you are doing lyft line or uber pool. Furthermore, how can a pax be certain they left the item in your car. It could have dropped onto the sidewalk when they got out etc.

18. Uberfunitis

When you have drivers being arrested for phones they they had turned in already I don't take the situation lately and will do everything I can to document the phone drop of.

Highland Hauler and socallaoc like this.
  19. UberBastid

UberBastid Well-Known Member

I'm surprised at how many drivers assume that a driver is responsible for personal property left in car.
    In Cali the driver IS responsible for someone else's personal property. It is called, I believe, a 'bailment'. I am surprised at how many drivers believe as the one above who says that "When you have drivers being arrested for phones they they had turned in already I don't take the situation lately and will do everything I can to document the phone drop off" and fail to understand that the best way to protect yourself is to NEVER, EVER admit to having possession of someone else's property. If you do - you automatically accept responsibility for it.

When someone of authority starts asking me questions, I get real ... um ... slippery. I will answer in very ambiguous ways and ask a question back. We need to trade info - or I just STFU.

Yam Digger likes this.
  20. Uberfunitis

We just got clarification in DC that we can turn in lost items at the Department of For-Hire Vehicles and they will issue a receipt for the items. There is no reason to be slippery just do what you are supposed to do and document that it was done.