1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber Driver App (Android) now requires SMS permissions... (CLE) 1/18/16

Discussion in 'Notifications' started by Michael - Cleveland, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Michael - Cleveland

Michael - Cleveland Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    tohunt4me likes this.
  2. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    As of 1/18/2016 (at least in Clevland)
    the Android Uber Driver App now REQUIRES access to your device SMS info.

You can't use the app until you agree to the permission request.
    This could be nothing - or it could be outrageous
    since it allows Uber access to your complete sms/mms messaging log and messages.

tohunt4me likes this.
  3. uberist

uberist Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Heh, I Crack up at how people interpret what this means,
    its not all Orwellian.

It simply means that a command from the Uber app will be able initiate your messaging app so that there is seamless integration between the two. Same with photos and maps etc.,

If applications did not do this every app would have to have these features designed into them and be large and consum lots of memory , if you didn't give permission for the app to access the built in camera and picture files, you would have to add an external camera and storage device so you could take pictures of documents and upload them, but not without an external uber dedicated WiFi/Internet connection.

4. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Totally agree.
    Still, everyone needs to be aware of what permissions they are granting the Uber and Lyft apps.
    (and if you don't think that it is beyond Uber to use permissions in any way they choose, then you don't know much about how Uber operates)

5. ChiChilly

ChiChilly Active Member

If you have android marshmallow, you can disable all but the location permission and the app will still work. I can't guarantee customer texts or calls work the same just with location on. Haven't had a problem yet to test it after going just with location enabled. All these permissions are not ok. The one difference between the rider app and partner app is the microphone permission in the rider app, the partner app does not have it. Chances are, most of us have apps with too many permissions enabled. But turning off data (not just turning on airplane mode as that can be bypassed) can give better privacy if one cannot disable permissions.

6. uberist

uberist Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Ahh yes 6.0 update

ChiChilly likes this.