Uber Discriminates Against English Speakers?

PioneerXi

In another thread, there was talk about Uber Comfort and how to establish if it was available in your market.

I opened the Rider app and selected a destination that I use with DF as my home point.

24372A58-2BB5-4E62-9DD5-205CE271171C.jpeg

Costs provided for the primary three levels of service.

Scrolling across, there is no Uber Comfort in my market (San Diego) but I did find this:

6D4CAF3F-BB97-47B0-9493-79574C7B6AD9.jpeg

So as I read this:

As a Rider, I can order a driver that speaks Spanish, at a higher cost than an English speaking driver or a driver certified to assist, but at a lower cost than a driver with a wheelchair accessible vehicle.

A difference in pay based upon language, but only Spanish?

Drawing a conclusion: if I decline taking a ride based on passengers exceeding level of service (XL over X) should I be able to decline riders who can only speak Spanish (no English) and refer them to the Espanola Service...because that’s the correct service based on their “qualification”?

Going further, the two other languages I speak, are not reimbursed at a higher rate, as it’s not offered as a service. Are my language preferences being discriminated against?

On Twitter, riders frequently complain that they would like to have English speaking drivers. In our politically correct environment, maybe English speaking drivers are...undervalued.

For your discussion.

Pax Collector

Going further, the two other languages I speak, are not reimbursed at a higher rate, as it’s not offered as a service. Are my language preferences being discriminated against?
Maybe more people speak Spanish in your market than your two other languages and Uber didn't have the need to offer that service? Even the name of the city is in Spanish.

sfthatsme

Probably, Uber will pay the same amount to the driver. They just charge more to the rider and keep the bigger percentage of the fare. Your fellow Spanish speaking driver won’t make any extra money for being able to speak 2nd language. They just help Uber to create more revenue for them.
This is all my speculation. I might be wrong though. What do I know. It’s time for me to head to the bed.

BigRedDriver

In another thread, there was talk about Uber Comfort and how to establish if it was available in your market.

I opened the Rider app and selected a destination that I use with DF as my home point.

View attachment 317288

Costs provided for the primary three levels of service.

Scrolling across, there is no Uber Comfort in my market (San Diego) but I did find this:

View attachment 317289

So as I read this:

As a Rider, I can order a driver that speaks Spanish, at a higher cost than an English speaking driver or a driver certified to assist, but at a lower cost than a driver with a wheelchair accessible vehicle.

A difference in pay based upon language, but only Spanish?

Drawing a conclusion: if I decline taking a ride based on passengers exceeding level of service (XL over X) should I be able to decline riders who can only speak Spanish (no English) and refer them to the Espanola Service...because that’s the correct service based on their “qualification”?

On Twitter, riders frequently complain that they would like to have English speaking drivers. In our politically correct environment, maybe English speaking drivers are...undervalued.

For your discussion.
This is complete BS. Get paid less for speaking the language of your Nation?

This P.C. craps gotta end

SoFlaDriver

This is complete BS. Get paid less for speaking the language of your Nation?

This P.C. craps gotta end
No, it's being paid MORE for offering an additional amenity, which, to a visiting tourist, is extremely welcome. We are in a hospitality business, and are frequently utilized by visitors from other nations. Being able to speak to them in their language is just as welcome as finding out your Uber driver in Egypt speaks yours (and from experience, I can tell you that few do in Cairo!).

reg barclay

They are not charging less because someone speaks English. They are charging more because someone knows Spanish. If the Spanish speaker also speaks English they still charge more, so it's not less for speaking English.

Not to sound dismissive, but in a free market, the basic rule is that a person/service with a skill that is higher in demand and lower in supply can usually demand a higher price for said service. Presumably this is the case with speaking Spanish in that area. I'll admit though, that if they were to do the opposite in a given area, and charge/pay more for English speakers, there would be cries of discrimination from some.

reg barclay

Ohhhh.

I’d be interested to hear from a driver on that service to learn if there is a difference in the fare.
I think that is the $64,000 question here. Or at least the $0.90 question.

Well this was the best I could do with google translate:

Llamando a todos los conductores de habla hispana de Uber en San Diego. ¿Uber le paga más cuando un jinete paga más por un hablante de español?

PioneerXi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
#asswipes

I had a ride on Tuesday(?). Arrived and passenger does not speak English. At all. Can’t even confirm their name. They selected a generic destination with a drop off in the middle of the freeway.

A couple of minutes with hand signals and broken words confirmed where they wanted to go...was about an additional 5 miles. I ask for their cell phone to update the destination...it’s in Spanish.

I’m screwed already.

When I arrive at their intended destination, it’s not quite right yet and they can announce the name of the shop they want...another half mile.

Once they’re out, email requesting not to be rematched as they can’t speak English.

Their rating for me- 1*. No reason given.

Rohit and I are going back and forth at the moment. I gave him the story , he came back with a response...in Spanish.

The Spanish service is in the app for this reason- use it. Don’t discriminate against me for speaking English.

#asswipes.

Jake Air

I think that is the $64,000 question here. Or at least the $0.90 question.

Well this was the best I could do with google translate:

Llamando a todos los conductores de habla hispana de Uber en San Diego. ¿Uber le paga más cuando un jinete paga más por un hablante de español?
I'd rather be called a "conductore" than an Uber driver. Sounds more upscale. lol