1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber discouraging drivers from unionizing

Discussion in 'News' started by chitownXdriver, Mar 12, 2017.

1. chitownXdriver

chitownXdriver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    The Seattle tussle is the latest challenge to Uber’s independent contractor model, which pushes expenses such as fuel, vehicle maintenance and insurance on to the drivers, in exchange for the promise of a steady stream of riders and a flexible work schedule. The model is a chief reason for Uber’s $68 billion valuation, though the company has faced a near-constant stream of lawsuits challenging the classification as nonemployees.

A Seattle ordinance passed in 2015 took effect in January giving drivers the right to vote to organize, meaning some 10,000 Uber contractors could win the right to negotiate fares and benefits. The dispute has taken on added urgency in recent days as the Teamsters seek access to driver contact information from Uber and rival Lyft Inc. to help with organizing efforts, even as lawsuits challenging the ordinance roll in, including from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and a group of 11 drivers backed by the National Right to Work Committee.

Read more...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...ation-effort-in-seattle/ar-AAo9zhG?li=BBnbfcN

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017
  2. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Uber had years to treat drivers right.
    Travis was recorded telling one of his " dates" in that incident with the lux. Driver (still viewable here !) That " UBER WAS SUPPOSED TO GET HARDER EVERY YEAR FOR DRIVERS."
    UBERS GOAL IS TO REPLACE ALL DRIVERS WITH MACHINES !
    THAT IS DOCCUMENTED AND WELL KNOWN.

DRIVERS NEED REPRESENTATION !

IT IS DOCCUMENTED UBER WILL NOT TREAT US RIGHT !

3. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

There's a million reasons why joining a union is a good thing and not a single reason why it isn't. Yes you gotta pay dues but that's a small price to pay to have a contract with rights, benefits, good pay, the ability to not have Uber slash your rates, etc etc. This isn't rocket science. Only morons brainwashed into thinking unions are bad by Republicans and those paid by Uber to rail against unions would not want a union.

The funny part is Uber, yet again, threatening drivers with the ridiculous "you might lose your flexibility" garbage they use all the time. #UberSpin

4. tohunt4me

Might lose our flexibility to not have to drive 20 hours to pay bills due to constant rate hikes .
    Might Lose our flexibility to be deactivated due to rider false accusation without any way to confront our false accusers.
    Might lose our flexibility to be put on time outs for not accepting rixes 20 minutes away.
    Might lose our flexibility to be deactivated over canceling rides on intoxicated people who act badly.

5. u-Boat

u-Boat Active Member

West of the Atlantic, East of the Pacific
    Driving:
    UberXL
    If a driver's union accomplishes the goal of allowing drivers to set their own rates without dictating hours of operation then I'm all for it. Otherwise, no thanks. I'm already donating money to a crooked organization. Why add another one to the list?

6. tohunt4me

Uber is breathing heavy over the thought of replacing every driver in the country with Robots.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd and iUBERdc like this.
  7. Southdiver

Southdiver Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    So, you want to take your self employment and replace it with a union?
    That's a pretty good way to have it simply shut down.
    Just ask the auto industry who moved most of production to Mexico.

JoeD16 likes this.
  8. Fritz Duval

Fritz Duval Member

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  9. Southdiver

Southdiver Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    OK. Obviously the drivers wont move to Mexico. That was just a simple example of how unions are actually BAD for the local economy.
    In the case of Uber, one of two things will happen:
    1: Uber will simply pull out of that local market so now you have a bunch of out of work union Uber drivers.
    2: Uber will push for driverless cars in that market so now you will have a bunch of out of work union Uber drivers.

10. tohunt4me

Make America Great again . . . it's moving back.
    Rather have cars & tires built in Mexico over Communist China any day though !

The Japanese and Korean car manufacturers that moved here,insist employees have a union.
    Wonder why they are so successful ?

kfeels and FL_Dex like this.
  11. Southdiver

Southdiver Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Sorry man but, "Make America Great again" is a cool slogan and all but, we are a free market society (unless you are trying to buy prescription drugs) and the consumer demand for cheap toasters outweighs the longer term vision of rebuilding the American work force.

phillipzx3 likes this.
  12. tohunt4me

WE need UNION LOBBYING POWER !
    EVERY DRIVING JOB IN THE COUNTRY IS IN DANGER OF BEING REPLACED BY ROBOTS !

Uber dream WORK FORCE IS ROBO CARS !
    BETTER GET THAT UNION WHILE YOU HAVE A CHANCE !

NOWS THE TIME !
    THE TIME IS NOW !

WONT BE A TOMMORROW WITHOUT LOBBYING POWER FOR THE DRIVERS !

Lebowskii likes this.
  13. Southdiver

Southdiver Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    You will need to provide proof of that.
    One of the reason that Asian and European automakers did NOT set up shop in the motor city is not because of the better weather down south.

14. tohunt4me

Companies like Uber and ubers treatment of drivers is the reason unions were created.

Attached Files:

truzoo, circle1 and FL_Dex like this.
  15. Southdiver

Southdiver Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    You are right... except that you are wrong.
    Unions were created to combat child labor, fight for a minimum wage, and support fair working hours.
    None of that applies to an independent contractor. Well, maybe child labor.

UberLaLa and PCH5150 like this.
  16. tohunt4me

Uber claims we are independent when convenient to skirt laws.
    Time outs,deactivations for cancellation,deactivation on false accusations without representation or being able to face accusing passengers are not signs of any sort of Independence.
    Neither is rate manipulation which only affects drivers.

17. jonhjax

jonhjax Active Member

I have worked in both union and right to work states. I my experience workers get higher pay and better, sometimes much better benefits than workers in right to work states. A non union business I worked at gave me medical and dental insurance for about $12 a week and paid us time and a half for working Saturday or Sunday and if a holiday was on a weekend we got double time and a half. They did this so we didn't go union. I was told this by national, not local management.

Surgeless in Seattle likes this.
  18. blackjackross

blackjackross Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Not advocating for a union, however, your argument has some weaknesses. I drive in the Chicago market. Do you really think the Uber will pull out of a market that exceeds 3.5 million rides a month? I don't think they can afford to give up their 3rd largest market. Chicago City Council is on record as not willing to amend existing ordinances to allow driverless cars. I don't see that happening in the next 7-10 years in this market.

19. Southdiver

Southdiver Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I can see where you are coming from.
    So, what happens when Uber simply decides to deactivate all "union member" accounts and just hire new non union drivers? Will it be like the old days of threats and fights? For every one driver who gets deactivated, there are two more willing to drive.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd likes this.
  20. roadman

roadman Well-Known Member

shut Uber the scammers down then. Right now the Uber scammers are taking 30%-40% of every fare this is past the point of ridiculous.