1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber demand at Savannah Airport?

Discussion in 'Savannah' started by Nic, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Nic

Nic

Uber recently negotiated an agreement with the Savannah-Hilton Head airport that allows Uber drivers to wait for passengers on the premises. Has anyone tried this yet? Is the demand for Uber decent at the airport?

2. we just got a similar arrangement worked out at charleston international. now there are too many ubers waiting, and since it's (supposedly) a "first in/first out queue" and they don't tell you your position in the alleged queue, there's no way to tell if it's worth your time waiting. it was easier to go into stealth mode and snag a fare out of the airport when it was illegal.

3. JimS

JimS

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Savannah is pretty good. You need an app like Flight Aware to know when the flights come in. Gotta sort through the private flights - Cessnas and Gulfstreams don't bring in Uber pax. It's true FIFO. The other night, I went out at 11 PM - there was supposed to be a 737 come in, and there were only two other drivers. As I was waiting, a cop came up and she told us that flight was cancelled. We all packed up and went to the bars.

Usually at mid-day, there can be 5-6 cars waiting. I've waited 15 minutes with a trip to Hilton Head and 90 minutes with nothing. Each arrival nets about 1-2 passengers for Uber. Sometimes none. If you're there and there hasn't been a plane land for 30 minutes, time to go somewhere else.

Don't forget to read through this subforum and understand the route in and out. The cops are out and they will fine you if you don't have your trade dress in your front window.

4. Lag Monkey

Lag Monkey

Driving:
    UberX
    How much are the trips to hhi that's like a one and done deal? $80 range?

5. JimS

JimS

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    About that. From SAV airport to about the far end of Bluffton netted $67, and another one from Amtrak to the Omni Resort Palmetto Bluffs netted $79. XL would've been great on those trips!

6. Lag Monkey

Lag Monkey

Driving:
    UberX
    Sounds like cash is good..no need to strike :) drivers in Raleigh are foaming at the mouth for An uber strike

7. JimS

JimS

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yeah, when you're lucky to get that. 12 drivers queue for up to three hours, hoping the app doesn't log them out putting the at the back of the line, for six flights that can yield 0.3 to 2 Uber rides each, one of which may be to HHI, the majority of which are a $30 ride into town, but some can even be a minimum fare to Gulfstream.

8. Do we need to get approval for South Carolina to make the Hilton head trips?

9. JimS

JimS

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    You have 30 days from the first time you pick up someone in SC to get your car inspected (see: http://www.uberecpartners.com/savannah/inspections). After that, you won't be permitted to pick up in SC until you get your inspection.

You are welcome to drop off anywhere. Regulations are based on pick up location.

There are really only two places in Savannah to get your inspection: Tires Plus on Abercorn, or Firestone on Skidaway. Both charge $19.99 & require an appointment. I got mine done last night at Tires Plus. In and out in 45 minutes. Note that the Firestone on Abercorn has been told by Management NOT to provide inspections for Uber because of their workload. Any licensed mechanic can do the inspection, but I've seen prices from free with an oil change at Savannah Tire to $85.