• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber deducted $100 off my pay saying it was a TSA fine (San Francisco)

Mkbaybay

Hi guys! On July 9th Uber deducted $100 on my pay. I was curious and called them immediately and they said the charge was from TSA from an airport trip on May 7th 2018. They said an airport employee saw me drop off a passenger and my Uber stickers weren't properly displayed. I rent the cars from getaround (available in the Bay Area) and they have Uber stickers on them and I also make sure the stickers are on (1 front and back Uber signs and An airport pass in the front) when I do a walk around to make sure car isn't damaged. I'm sure I had everything right. Now mind you, I WAS NOT PULLED OVER OR THERE WAS NO PROOF MAILED TO ME, they just deducted the money without my knowledge. Is this even legal. Please adivice guys.

Mkbaybay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I read that reg, thank you. But I'm sure it's still not legal. I hate to use this as an example but let's say the airpor employee is biased and made up the whole thing. How can you know? Let's say he hates arabs or white or black people? I am I had everything in order.

RoWode12

That sucks. They were in the correct locations in the front and back with the placard underneath the front sticker?

You could take a picture to show your decals in the correct place and keep pushing the issue with uber...unfortunately, the airport already fined Uber, so they’re going to want to get their money back from you.

Mkbaybay

That sucks. They were in the correct locations in the front and back with the placard underneath the front sticker?

You could take a picture to show your decals in the correct place and keep pushing the issue with uber...unfortunately, the airport already fined Uber, so they’re going to want to get their money back from you.

Car was a rental and it happened 2 month prior to me being fined. Been pushing but they're not budging. Also how tf do I stop getting the email alerts lol phone is blowing up. I still want to get alerts on this website but I just hate it emails you as well lol

reg barclay

I read that reg, thank you. But I'm sure it's still not legal. I hate to use this as an example but let's say the airpor employee is biased and made up the whole thing. How can you know? Let's say he hates arabs or white or black people? I am I had everything in order.
I noticed at the bottom of the Uber page, there is a link to click to dispute the ticket.

I'm moving this to the SF forum, I think it will get better advice there, from members familiar with local issues.

Kodyhead

Car was a rental and it happened 2 month prior to me being fined. Been pushing but they're not budging. Also how tf do I stop getting the email alerts lol phone is blowing up. I still want to get alerts on this website but I just hate it emails you as well lol
Was the rental through uber?

And to be clear were you actually renting the car at the time of the infraction and on that date there are airport trips in you ride history?

reg barclay

Also how tf do I stop getting the email alerts lol phone is blowing up. I still want to get alerts on this website but I just hate it emails you as well lol
Open up your profile, by clicking (not hovering) on your name at the top right of the page. Scroll down and click on 'preferences' (not 'alert preferences'), there should be an option to stop getting email alerts.

lighthouse

So far nobody has reported any success at getting the money back, I would keep trying but I feel like they found the sweet spot in terms of the fine at 100$ , people just give up .

Mkbaybay

Was the rental through uber?

And to be clear were you actually renting the car at the time of the infraction and on that date there are airport trips in you ride history?
Rental through a company called getaround. I think It's only avavaible in the Bay Area. Yes everything checks out, I was at the airport at the specified time. I asked the parking garage where I picked up the car to give me surveillance camera of me leaving that day but they said they can't unless it's court ordered.......

Kodyhead

Rental through a company called getaround. I think It's only avavaible in the Bay Area. Yes everything checks out, I was at the airport at the specified time. I asked the parking garage where I picked up the car to give me surveillance camera of me leaving that day but they said they can't unless it's court ordered.......
It gets worse in markets like nyc they have an app that ANYONE can report any TLC driver for example double parking or making an illegal turn

I don't know all the details but I dont think i am far off

lighthouse

It gets worse in markets like nyc they have an app that ANYONE can report any TLC driver for example double parking or making an illegal turn

I don't know all the details but I dont think i am far off
We have that app here as well

gaealien

I'm sure I had everything right. Now mind you, I WAS NOT PULLED OVER OR THERE WAS NO PROOF MAILED TO ME, they just deducted the money without my knowledge. Is this even legal.
It's not legal, however San Francisco is allowing it because they want our money. It is definitely a violation of our right to due process and will eventually end up in a court of law to be confirmed as much. If the general public started receiving tickets in the mail months after the fact and with no way to appeal [successfully] you can be sure their would be an uproar and someone would lose their job or get voted out. SFO is going full police corruption on our asses. BUT... we're uber drivers, people don't think we're human, so we're ripe for the picking and the city knows it. Uber doesn't want these fees either, this is ALL San Francisco's doing. I would keep track of them in a word doc and forward them to any news organization that seems to care about covering this.

Yomann

Uber & Lyft agreed with the Airport Commission to process and pay these fines via earnings deduction.
Maybe they had to, if their backs were up against a wall ?
If you read the actual citation, you have 10 days to contest it.
But; as U/L processes the citations once a quarter, the 10 days window closes before you know you were cited.
They could change the process and require the citation be sent directly to the driver.
But will they ……… ?

Wondering how other airports are handling this ?

A minor correction - those black uniformed agents do not work for TSA; they work for the airport commission.

DollarFree

SF often makes up the law as it goes along, this time they’ve decided to deny drivers due process. To be sure of getting that you need to enter the county illegally a few times then shoot & kill an innocent citizen.