• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber deactivates dozens of drivers for cheating on LAX rides

BurgerTiime

https://www.scpr.org/programs/take-two/2018/01/17/61240/uber-deactivates-dozens-of-drivers-in-la/

Uber said Wednesday it will deactivate some drivers' accounts here in Los Angeles as it acknowledged a couple dozen of them have been gaming the system at Los Angeles International Airport, using apps that provide fake location data to jump them to the front of the line for pickups.

Megan Prichard, Uber's general manager for Southern California, joined Take Two's A Martinez to talk about the latest with Uber and airport pickups.

WHAT DRIVERS WERE DOING AT LAX THAT GOT THEM DEACTIVATED
We deactivated a couple dozen drivers. We found drivers using apps that provide fake location data to try and take advantage of a queue system we have at LAX to match riders with drivers who've been waiting in a line. These apps hold a driver's place in the queue and bump down other drivers on a list, directly hurting our honest drivers who are patiently waiting their turn for a ride.

HOW PASSENGERS ARE AFFECTED BY DRIVERS GAMING THE LAX SYSTEM
We want to create a community of Uber riders and drivers respecting our community guidelines, which prohibit any type of fraudulent behavior. So we do this to create a better experience for everyone. This means more drivers will come to the airport, there will be shorter lines generally and shorter wait times.

REMATCH SYSTEM AT LAX SHORTENS WAIT TIMES
We've made some recent changes that cut the drop-off-to-pickup time for drivers by 95 percent. So drivers can drop off at Terminal 1 and be immediately matched to a pickup in Terminal 2, reducing their next trip wait time to just two minutes. If another rider is immediately available, we have a queue system where drivers are waiting in a remote line, but it takes sometimes five to 10 minutes for the drivers to get into LAX when they're coming in from the remote lot, and we want to make sure that the drivers who are coming in have a fair opportunity to be connected with a trip at the airport.

MINIMUM PAYMENTS FOR UBER DRIVERS AT LAX
We at Uber have invested in giving drivers a $10 minimum payout for any trip related to LAX. We know traffic can sometime be very, very heavy there, so any trip below $10, let's say you're going to the airport Sheraton as a rider. The Uber service will now cover the difference to give the driver a $10 minimum payout for those shorter trips.

Working4peanuts

Uber said Wednesday it will deactivate some drivers' accounts here in Los Angeles as it acknowledged a couple dozen of them have been gaming the system at Los Angeles International Airport, using apps that provide fake location data to jump them to the front of the line for pickups.

Megan Prichard, Uber's general manager for Southern California, joined Take Two's A Martinez to talk about the latest with Uber and airport pickups.

We deactivated a couple dozen drivers. We found drivers using apps that provide fake location data to try and take advantage of a queue system we have at LAX to match riders with drivers who've been waiting in a line. These apps hold a driver's place in the queue and bump down other drivers on a list, directly hurting our honest drivers who are patiently waiting their turn for a ride.

We want to create a community of Uber riders and drivers respecting our community guidelines, which prohibit any type of fraudulent behavior. So we do this to create a better experience for everyone. This means more drivers will come to the airport, there will be shorter lines generally and shorter wait times.

We've made some recent changes that cut the drop-off-to-pickup time for drivers by 95 percent. So drivers can drop off at Terminal 1 and be immediately matched to a pickup in Terminal 2, reducing their next trip wait time to just two minutes. If another rider is immediately available, we have a queue system where drivers are waiting in a remote line, but it takes sometimes five to 10 minutes for the drivers to get into LAX when they're coming in from the remote lot, and we want to make sure that the drivers who are coming in have a fair opportunity to be connected with a trip at the airport.

We at Uber have invested in giving drivers a $10 minimum payout for any trip related to LAX. We know traffic can sometime be very, very heavy there, so any trip below $10, let's say you're going to the airport Sheraton as a rider. The Uber service will now cover the difference to give the driver a $10 minimum payout for those shorter trips.
They cheat in Miami too. There's a way to use an iphone to find out a destination and then cancel short rides.

Magnum P. I.

What Ms. Prichard should have said, if she was honest

Using a bullshit Uber algorithm we essentially randomly selected a handful of drivers to deactivate, ignoring the obvious which is if you want to know who's gaming the system, look at the paychecks. (No offense UP friends, just being honest)

Passengers are putting their lives in danger any time they climb into an UberX deathtrap. We now allow pickup trucks with two doors and the little half door for the "back seat" and you can bet the driver that's dumb enough to drive that pile around is dumb enough to not recognize rain makes luggage wet. Crappier cars, drivers in their first week that haven't a clue how to handle the airport traffic while trying to mess around with the phone on their lap, passengers can safely bet on an even more terrorizing uber experience that'll make the days of the rapist uber driver fodder for nostalgic country songs.

Where this program makes sense for Uber and pax both, it's sucks hard for the drivers. Today you can forget about getting a ride out of the pen in the morning and since rematch is limited to the first 45 seconds after a drop it somehow sucks for the dropping off driver as well. If I was honest, I'd advise any driver to not drop at LAX between 6:00 and 9:00am because if you do you're either stuck with a base rate ride or impossible traffic or taking a nap in the pen until the cops kick you out.

This is my most disingenuous answer yet. "Uber will now cover the difference.." as if the driver was always getting paid a minimum. It's critical that Uber continues to BS the public about these things because if you knew how many times drivers waited a half hour and drove 15 minutes in and then out of the airport for their $2.62 to run you over to in and out you might actually feel bad enough to tip them and don't kid yourself, the tip is already included in the fare.

bm1320

I don't have an iphone. Several drivers at the airport told me about it. Couldn't explain it if i tried. Apparently uber is starting to care now. When i drop off at the airport i usually leave right away. Not worth my time.
Well how exactly is ride sharing ride sharing if I do not know the destination from the get go. I may not be going in the direction of their destination. This whole going in blind b.s. is nonsense.

More power to the scammers. Rates are low enough for X drivers as is. Poor guys.

Mike78

Do they have a proof? That some uber driver use fake location. They can deactivate anybody say " you using fake location"

Magnum P. I.

Do they have a proof? That some uber driver use fake location. They can deactivate anybody say " you using fake location"
They don't even tell you that much. They deactivate you and never tell you why. This is why I always tell people uber can deactivate you for any reason they like, including low acceptance rate. They are not obligated to give you an explanation.

GreekaRican

I was kicked out of the airport during this this sweep. I have never downloaded or used a fake GPS (I know folks that have, and frankly it sounded way too complicated for me). And I’ve taken calls that are short ones nearby, rarely cancelling. I think my cancellation rate was low too, but so was my acceptance rate. And like folks said, the hub won’t tell you why. I have never received a message/warning about fraudulent activity, like other drivers I know that were deactivated at LAX.

Adieu

Wonder how it "affected pax"???

El Segundo residents spoofing from home?

I call bs. The tricksters and the tent city parkers were/are the cream of the crop, the people who actually knew what they were doing at LAX... vs. Ants causing bizarre crap and chaos

openUeyes

"We at Uber have invested in giving drivers a $10 minimum payout for any trip related to LAX."

Does that mean that there is now a $10 minimum paid to a driver on any LAX drop offs?

joetheuberdriver

They don't even tell you that much. They deactivate you and never tell you why. This is why I always tell people uber can deactivate you for any reason they like, including low acceptance rate. They are not obligated to give you an explanation.
Wrong. We have a contract. If I breach they can, if I Did not they can't. Low AR is not some you get deactivated for. Stop scaring antz.

"We at Uber have invested in giving drivers a $10 minimum payout for any trip related to LAX."

Does that mean that there is now a $10 minimum paid to a driver on any LAX drop offs?
No. That means avoid f....in lax all together

somedriverguy

https://www.scpr.org/programs/take-two/2018/01/17/61240/uber-deactivates-dozens-of-drivers-in-la/

Unless it is a rematch. Any other restrictions we know about?