Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
81 - 100 of 105 Posts
I work at a pizza place too and when we take orders over the phone paid by credit card, all I ask for is credit card number, expiration date, and billing zip code, but half the time they don't even know the zip code so I just put anything in and it always works regardless. and at my salon, my swype thingy for my paypal account never needs a signature... you can just leave it blank.

I work at a pizza place too and when we take orders over the phone paid by credit card, all I ask for is credit card number, expiration date, and billing zip code, but half the time they don't even know the zip code so I just put anything in and it always works regardless. and at my salon, my swype thingy for my paypal account never needs a signature... you can just leave it blank.
yeah places like where you work are dangerous

Yes, ordering pizza over the phone is dangerous. AND tell the idiot kid taking your order not to repeat your number outloud as you are reading it to him. Ding dongs i tell you. Plenty of people are sitting in the lobby and could be writing it down.

if you have been Ubering for at least a couple months, then surely you've had a pax tell you to pick them up from somewhere else other than the ping/address
but normally its only several blocks away at most,not another city
but mainly they are not trying to rob you,most pax are idiots and simply dont drop the ping accurately or put in their correct address,because thats what they do.theres no test to pass to be a pax

also, just because you drive your personal car, dont forget that driving for Uber, is basically being a taxi cab driver
with that being said, whenever a cab picks up a street hail,surely they have no idea who is getting into the car with them
Uber provides slight protection requiring some type of pax info

If you are worried about getting shady passengers, you shouldnt be a taxi cab driver
needless to say, you shouldnt drive for Uber either
the straight truth is, its the nature of the business. everyday you uber you drive around with just you and total strangers in the car
Exactly because there are no guarantees in life. If you don't know how to handle guys hitting on you -what do you do outside of Uber? There are some people who are not cut out for certain jobs, I personally know better than to drive late at night, some, drama follows them wherever they go. Know your limitations.

Okay - so I'll chime in here about PCI compliance (Credit & Banking in general) and security related to transaction processing. Uber isn't paying any more to "deactivate" any type of information processing on credit cards. Name and address correlation hasn't been used for authentication on credit cards for close to 15 years. Just so you know my background, I'm a IT security guy, primarily in the infrastructure field. My primary job is to go into a business and work on the network & hardware to make it SAC-D compliant for PCI. in other words, to make sure that processes and control is put into place to make sure that each transaction is secure and there is an audit trail from A to Z.

Uber is totally following standard PCI stuff for whatever their merchant is asking for. In fact it's not even Uber that is responsible for detecting fraud, it's their merchant. Uber is responsible for monitoring their network traffic for "hacking" (it's a general term). All Uber needs to do is make sure that their network that is transmitting data from the app to their merchant is secure. Really all Uber sees is "Authorized" and "Not Authorized" as a payment status.

Uber isn't a payment bank/processor in the general term. Meaning Uber isn't a bank. Uber is really no different then you or I using Square-Up or Pay-Pal.

Shit - even Amazon doesn't use name and address to qualify a credit card purchase. They require you have a valid address for shipping - but that has nothing to do with the actual credit card transaction.

Zip codes were only added in the last 2 or 3 years since the CCV codes were semi-compromised in 2011. Someone figured out the mathematical algorithm that Visa and Mastercard was using to assign CCV codes. This was only found out when people's cards were being charged before it even was activated.

In the end - a credit card transaction "check" isn't going to make any driver safer. If a human wants to harm another human - it's going to happen. Following some simple personal security goes much further.
Besides you can't protect yourself from everything. You can take some common sense precautions. Some pax don't use their real name because they don't want you to know who they are. I had a lady use just her first name and I know she wasn't famous - she was afraid of us knowing who she is. Like the pax that have you drop off or pick them up at some other address than their real address.

Exactly because there are no guarantees in life. If you don't know how to handle guys hitting on you -what do you do outside of Uber? There are some people who are not cut out for certain jobs, I personally know better than to drive late at night, some, drama follows them wherever they go. Know your limitations.
What do you do when a Rider starts hitting on you?

So, if I understand you, all a person needs to open an Uber account that's legitimate would be the credit card number and exp. date .
I believe you, but how do you know that for sure.
And how did you find that out, that's what I want to know.
I posted here many times about my experience and my day drivers experience with stolen credit cards.
It's surprising more Uber accounts don't have stolen cards.

Uber has to pay you for stolen cards so they get screwed.

We have a small number of riders who take trips with fake credit cards. These are known as fraud trips. We are working hard to combat fraud at its source - help us fight fraud together by following these helpful steps.
IF YOU GET A FRAUD REQUEST:

CANCEL IT AND DRIVE AWAY.
HOW TO SPOT A FRAUD TRIP

Fraud trips come from NEW ACCOUNTS, who want to take LONG TRIPS, with NO DESTINATION and who want to be picked up in a DIFFERENT LOCATION FROM THE REQUEST.

1. LONG TRIPS
If the trip is long (3-4 hours) it is probably a fraud trip.

2. NO DESTINATION
If the rider just wants to drive around with no particular destination in mind

3. NEW ACCOUNT
All fraud trips are from new accounts. You can spot a new account because the rider will have 5 stars.

4. REQUESTS DIFFERENT PICK-UP LOCATION
If the rider calls you and asks to be picked up in a different location from the request location, it's probably a fraud trip.
HOW TO SPOT FRAUD:

TRIP LENGTH:
Most fraudulent trips are long (more than two hours).

TRIP DESTINATION:
Most fraud trips have no obvious destination. If riders just want to drive around with no particular place to go, it's probably a fraud trip.

NEW ACCOUNT:
You can tell a new account because the rider will have a perfect 5 star rating.

DIFFERENT PICK-UP LOCATION:
If a rider calls you and asks to be picked up at a different location to where the pin was dropped, it's probably a fraud trip.
If you think you're on a fraud trip:
Feel free to cancel. We will not penalize you for canceling fraudulent trips.
We're there to support you. Let's fight fraud together.
IF YOU THINK YOU'RE ON A FRAUD TRIP:

Uber has got you covered.
Hahaaa.... Timely subject matter....One of my drives yesterday.....

-Long Trip?? ....check 1+ hr long.

-No destination?? ....check! Multiple destinations starting with, "I gotta pick up some "stuff" at my house" (no "stuff" was in his hands when he returned)... then 3 stops where, "I gotta make a quick stop to drop "something" off to a "friend". Then all the way to the other side of boston.... "a friend was having a big party".

-New Account?? 5 Star pax baby!!.... even though he mentioned he's been using uber for years, starting in SFO when they first started.
-Different pickup location?? nope, same as the one he called for.

Other significant evidence??
On the way to the friend's "big party"..... i saw him counting a 3" th. stack of $100's and $20's.... with only a quick glance I'd guesstimate it to be $10K++.

It was a $60+ drive.......Unfortunately I didn't get any of his "walking around money" as a tip. Though he did say I was getting 5*.

Though he was a nice guy/good pax I gave him a 3*. I don't need to be driving that around ever again.

https://uberpeople.net/threads/lyft-seeking-new-mega-funding-to-battle-uber.11659/reply?quote=17996

-No destination?? ....check! Multiple destinations starting with, "I gotta pick up some "stuff" at my house" (no "stuff" was in his hands when he returned)... then 3 stops where, "I gotta make a quick stop to drop "something" off to a "friend". Then all the way to the other side of boston.... "a friend was having a big party".

-New Account?? 5 Star pax baby!!.... even though he mentioned he's been using uber for years, starting in SFO when they first started.

On the way to the friend's "big party"..... i saw him counting a 3" th. stack of $100's and $20's.... with only a quick glance I'd guesstimate it to be $10K++.

It was a $60+ drive.......Unfortunately I didn't get any of his "walking around money" as a tip. Though he did say I was getting 5*.

Though he was a nice guy/good pax I gave him a 3*. I don't need to be driving that around ever again.
So you were helping with the deliveries;)

You should have had your friend stick him up for the 10K.

Scary thing to think about now...and to think in the past I wasn't really worried about doing Uber calls because I thought it was potentially "safe" since everything was tracked and seemed legit. Now with the combination of stupid low rates and riders who can be somewhat anonymous this really poses a threat to drivers now. Uber has become no better than the shady cab services it criticized at its launch. Like they say...Live long enough to become the enemy, or that thing you once despised.
That was always their plan. Replace the cab companies, NOT be better than the cab companies. Why would they? You establish a monopoly (Wal-Mart, RedBox, etc) and then you raise prices. They don't despise the cab companies, they just found a better way to do business.

I picked two guys up today after they called me and said they put in the wrong address and told me the correct one which wasn't far away. I'm supposed to assume that was fraudulent and I should have canceled the trip? Honestly, Uber takes 20% from every fare. Fraud detection is their responsibility, not mine.
If PAX enters the wrong address, you hang up the phone.

Then you wait the 5 minutes and cancel. Take your money.

Uber's policy is that you should not move more than 100 yards from the pin drop location.

Skimmed through this thread and Since this is in my wheelhouse at work Uber can choose to validate based on name and address. The issue is it's very buggy to work with and the slightest variation on the information causes huge client facing enrolment issues. Most companies dropped this method due to the number of problems matching. (Apartment numbers were the biggest problem as there was no standards in the database for the issuer that's validating)

But on that note it's still unacceptable that there is no other verification of users on the system and as drivers we are exposed.

With that in mind I am adding it as a talking point when I meet with city council as Uber has made them believe that it's the safest system out there. (It's safe but it does have some big holes that need to be closed)

Like all security all it does is keep honest people in check. Those who want to work around it will find a way always.

With that in mind I am adding it as a talking point when I meet with city council as Uber has made them believe that it's the safest system out there.
Esp. since Uber often says that it's safer for Drivers as riders have to sign up with their real names & have a CC on file.

Esp. since Uber often says that it's safer for Drivers as riders have to sign up with their real names & have a CC on file.
Yep...this fake name thing is a joke. How is it more secure for drivers again? Only thing I can give it is it's cashless and we are less of a target than a cab. And Uber has full record of the trip. But even the if a perp. knows that a fake name is allowed this can make them feel more inclined to commit a crime.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.