• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber cut of the fair

AntSmasher

Folks, how much are you taking home after overtakes their piece? I just did a fair for $22.80 i—what the passenger paid to Uber from downtown Portland (the post office) out to the Westbrook industrial park, by channel 8. My cut of the fare was $11.17 out of the $22.80 rider payment. Of this, it included $1.75 surge. Are you guys seeing a 50% cut as well?

ZenUber

I don't really look at that. I just look at my average hourly rate for the night. Have you tried adding up everything for the night, and then figure out what uber's average cut is?

Donshonda

Yes I am seeing the same thing... trouble is? you signed the terms of service agreement when you logged on and became a "partner"...
you get paid per mile + per min. Just like a taxi. Uber sets the price higher than what we are contracted to get (plus booking and service fee etc.)

Whatever the passenger agrees to pay? minus our cut is what Uber gets. How they get around this is the "service fee" of which we are providing? is different from ride to ride. Here is quite the example.... I took home $52 on this ride... great trip right? Wrong! Uber Service fee was $38 so the rider paid $93 total. the sh*tty part is? there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. Upfront pricing.
Total for ALL of last year? I took home only 60% of what I "Made" for Uber.

UStaxman

The ‘upfront pricing’ has been in place for a while; I have looked at several of the fares over the last year revealing a ‘give & take’ - also looking at my gross and ‘Ubers commission’ for the year it had balanced itself out.
- For example: Long pickup fees which we are paid are not paid by the rider- many of those fares are ‘negative’ for Uber.
The question going forward will be how much ‘extra’ Uber earns with the new ‘fixed’ surge.
Despite Uber’s narrative, many of our late night surges are ‘medIum distance’ out to Westbrook/ Maine Mall hotels/ Scarborough— not minimum fares- those folks are often walking home when Surge hit 3X.
If last weekend is an indicator the 3X surge has been replaced with $2.00 ‘surge’ for a 7 mile 15 minute trip to Westbrook or Scarborough! A $21 payout reduced to $9.00— while the rider pays $33; very similar to DonsHonda’s example.

My gripe is that Uber has identified the price elasticity and rather than increasing mileage and time rates and maintaining transparency they are resorting to ‘games’. Why the need for games?

Donshonda

I couldn't agree more.... last night there was absolutely zero surge when the bars let out... I was literally laughing... there's no need for a surge if there's 200+ Uber and Lyft cars driving around Portland all night. $2.00 extra ? what a Joke.

UStaxman

I couldn't agree more.... last night there was absolutely zero surge when the bars let out... I was literally laughing... there's no need for a surge if there's 200+ Uber and Lyft cars driving around Portland all night. $2.00 extra ? what a Joke.
2 years ago, same night surge was 2.8X - 4.3X.
A $4 fare at 2.8X yielded a $11.28 Surge- Of course that was before ‘Upfront Pricing....
Good luck ever seeing an $11 Surge these days.
-Comparing year over year since 2017 this past Saturday I yielded $27 LESS with 7 Additional rides! Same 11 hours thru 1:30AM.
This is just a Saturday gig for me for extra $$; I tend not to complain - And I Never complain or discuss fares with riders, but I cannot see how this is not a game changer for full-timers.

My biggest gripe is the Absolute lack of Transparency.

Lyft is completely over saturated—- I have not seen a Surge on Lyft in months. But I tend to only run Uber during last-call anyways.

Donshonda

2 years ago, same night surge was 2.8X - 4.3X.
A $4 fare at 2.8X yielded a $11.28 Surge- Of course that was before ‘Upfront Pricing....
Good luck ever seeing an $11 Surge these days.
-Comparing year over year since 2017 this past Saturday I yielded $27 LESS with 7 Additional rides! Same 11 hours thru 1:30AM.
This is just a Saturday gig for me for extra $$; I tend not to complain - And I Never complain or discuss fares with riders, but I cannot see how this is not a game changer for full-timers.

My biggest gripe is the Absolute lack of Transparency.

Lyft is completely over saturated—- I have not seen a Surge on Lyft in months. But I tend to only run Uber during last-call anyways.

I agree with everything you said... I feel the exact same way. I'm just a Saturday night guy.

MRVEGAS711

I see a lot of gripes here. And then you all turn your apps on and continue getting dry @@@@ed. Only in America!
Post automatically merged: