Uber complains I cancel trips.. I complain their app and surge sucks

Do you agree Base Rates need to be raised and Surge Lowered?

• Total voters
S

Steve J

This is the email I got from Uber:

Hi STEVEN,

It appears that you’ve been canceling more rides than other drivers in Phoenix. If you complete more trips you’ll have less downtime and earn more.

We understand that cancellations happen. There are traffic issues that can prevent you from getting to a rider. Or something unexpected may cause you to cancel. But it appears you’re canceling a significant amount of trips. Canceled trips make Uber less reliable for riders and increase ETAs for all drivers.

Please sign offline if you don’t intend to complete the trips you accept. We want you to be able to earn with the Uber platform, and a consistently high trip cancellation rate may lead to deactivation.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Best,
Uber
And this is my reply... do you Agree? Am I wrong here?

Its not traffic issues, and the only unexpected thing is the fact that your app needs to be fixed.

Here are the current problems:

1) Horrible GPS locations. The worst I have seen so far, I accepted a ride to be picked up at 18th St and Indian School Rd, Phoenix, at a house.... After I arrived I contacted the rider and discovered that he was not at that house, instead he was on Mill Avenue in TEMPE. Obviously I cancelled that ride. The GPS has been way off recently, I would say that at least 1 in 5 rides I accept the GPS is NOT where the rider actually is hailing from.

2) Horrible ride selection. I will be right smack dab in the middle of a giant red honey comb blob of surge... waiting for a ride to hail... and when one comes in it tells me to drive 15 minutes away to pick someone up for UberX on 1.0 (no surge). Please explain to me why I would take this ride? To drive 15 minutes just to pick someone up at NO SURGE so that what? I can make $2.40 for driving them a mile? Please understand that driving 15 minutes to earn $2.40 is LITERALLY LOSING MONEY. Between cost of gas, insurance, wear and tear, risk or accident/tickets, etc... it is NOT WORTH it to make that pick up.

I AM NOT YOUR SLAVE AND I WILL NOT ACCEPT RIDES THAT HAVE ME LOSING MONEY.

Instead of complaining to me about how many rides I cancel, why don't you fix your app so that I am not forced to make the decision between LOSING money and cancelling rides.

I WILL NOT DRIVE OR ACCEPT A RIDE IF IT CAUSES ME TO LOSE MONEY INSTEAD OF EARN MONEY! WHY WOULD I?

Here is my suggestion to YOU:

FIX YOUR APP.

RAISE BASE FARES.

LOWER SURGE VOLATILITY

Riders are not worried about the $0.10 you reduce the base fare.... they are worried about getting smacked with a $900 ride home cause surge was out of control and they were too drunk to understand what they're accepting on their phone.

You want more riders? You want your drivers accepting more rides?

INCREASE BASE FARES. Make Surge go from 1.0 to 5.0 instead of 10.0, so that riders feel less concerned about ridiculous fares.

FIX YOUR APP.

If you have any questions please contact me. Even though I am just an uber partner, I studied Economics at the Arizona State Univ. school of business.

Thanks for giving me a reason to vent about your app problems and your ridiculous surge,
Steve​

lcwashinc

Hi STEVEN,

It appears that you’ve been canceling more rides than other drivers in Phoenix. If you complete more trips you’ll have less downtime and earn more.

We understand that cancellations happen. There are traffic issues that can prevent you from getting to a rider. Or something unexpected may cause you to cancel. But it appears you’re canceling a significant amount of trips. Canceled trips make Uber less reliable for riders and increase ETAs for all drivers.

Please sign offline if you don’t intend to complete the trips you accept. We want you to be able to earn with the Uber platform, and a consistently high trip cancellation rate may lead to deactivation.

Best,
Uber

Its not traffic issues, and the only unexpected thing is the fact that your app needs to be fixed.

1) Horrible GPS locations. The worst I have seen so far, I accepted a ride to be picked up at 18th St and Indian School Rd, Phoenix, at a house.... After I arrived I contacted the rider and discovered that he was not at that house, instead he was on Mill Avenue in TEMPE. Obviously I cancelled that ride. The GPS has been way off recently, I would say that at least 1 in 5 rides I accept the GPS is NOT where the rider actually is hailing from.

2) Horrible ride selection. I will be right smack dab in the middle of a giant red honey comb blob of surge... waiting for a ride to hail... and when one comes in it tells me to drive 15 minutes away to pick someone up for UberX on 1.0 (no surge). Please explain to me why I would take this ride? To drive 15 minutes just to pick someone up at NO SURGE so that what? I can make $2.40 for driving them a mile? Please understand that driving 15 minutes to earn $2.40 is LITERALLY LOSING MONEY. Between cost of gas, insurance, wear and tear, risk or accident/tickets, etc... it is NOT WORTH it to make that pick up.

Instead of complaining to me about how many rides I cancel, why don't you fix your app so that I am not forced to make the decision between LOSING money and cancelling rides.

I WILL NOT DRIVE OR ACCEPT A RIDE IF IT CAUSES ME TO LOSE MONEY INSTEAD OF EARN MONEY! WHY WOULD I?

FIX YOUR APP.

RAISE BASE FARES.

LOWER SURGE VOLATILITY

Riders are not worried about the $0.10 you reduce the base fare.... they are worried about getting smacked with a $900 ride home cause surge was out of control and they were too drunk to understand what they're accepting on their phone.

INCREASE BASE FARES. Make Surge go from 1.0 to 5.0 instead of 10.0, so that riders feel less concerned about ridiculous fares.

FIX YOUR APP.

If you have any questions please contact me. Even though I am just an uber partner, I studied Economics at the Arizona State Univ. school of business.

Thanks for giving me a reason to vent about your app problems and your ridiculous surge,
Steve​
Yes I can now join the club. I got the same email this morning, but really don't care. I made some pretty good financial decisions for myself because I had a great weekend. Everything you said is spot on!!

AceManShow

Hi STEVEN,

Best,
Uber

FIX YOUR APP.

RAISE BASE FARES.

LOWER SURGE VOLATILITY

FIX YOUR APP.

Steve​

I've received this "warning message" from Fuber 7-8 times now. I'm still not deactivated...

Ignore it. They're desperate for drivers, trust me.

Phoenix666

Hi STEVEN,

Best,
Uber

FIX YOUR APP.

RAISE BASE FARES.

LOWER SURGE VOLATILITY

FIX YOUR APP.

Steve​
Ha ha dude. I have been put in timeout for turning down rides 14-22 minutes away while in the midst of Scottsdale/Phoenix surges. I take screen shots of these ridiculous requests, for when I hear from these idiots and flat out tell them I refuse to lose money and show them their stupidity. Eff em bro, do what you gotta do. Those aholes aren'the paying your expenses. My favorite response from uber was my actions would force another driver further away to accept the ride. My response: I don't care, other drivers don't pay my bills, they're not my co-workers, I don't know them.

Jeff

WhiteCamelia

I have had the same email sent to me but I was not the one who initiated the cancellation but the riders did! I have emailed Uber and asked that they look into what is causing their system to see that I am the one who is initiating the cancellation. Any idea as to why this is happening? when I get a cancellation notification, I hit ok and move on. Am i missing another step? I am a newbie and do not wish my acceptance rate to go low.I have emailed UBER several times but no response!

Greguzzi

Rider is probably selecting the option, "Rider asked me to cancel" in the Uber app. It's Uber's new method of showing they love us.

UofMDriver

HAHA I got the same e-mail. I just laughed and sent it to the trash. I'll cancel or ignore who I want, when I want and how-ever-many times I want.

I got the same letter a couple times. I drive Uber very little do to them trying to force me to take rides. UberX non surge, non stop rides earn me less than minimum wage. I know, I put it thru the test, when I drove to get guarantees. I drove 10 hours did over 30 plus rides and averaged 8 dollars an hour before gas. Rides in my town are to short, for non surge UberX fares. Who wants to do 1.66 rides all night? At a minimum Uber needs a minimum fare the driver will get paid to make these short trips. Students will literary have you drive them a few hundred yards at times. The driver fights the traffic to have a dollar and a little silver flicked his way.

Hi SALEEM,

We’ve noticed you’re canceling more trips than most partners in the Jacksonville area. We understand cancellations happen, but your cancellation rate is significantly higher than other partners in the Jacksonville area.

You can’t earn fares with Uber if you don’t complete the trips you accept.

It’s best to sign offline when you are not in a position to complete the requests you accept. If you continue to cancel a high number of trips, your account may be signed offline.

Best,
Uber

I have received four of these messages since Wednesday

Agent99

These emails are automatic and no response is required or expected. Just ignore them. If you let the emails bother you, Uber wins.

It is less disruptive to everyone if you ignore/decline a ride rather than accept a ride and then cancel it. Yes, I know, Uber doesn't like declines either, but cancellations are worse.

Last edited:

Agent99

Ha ha dude. I have been put in timeout for turning down rides 14-22 minutes away while in the midst of Scottsdale/Phoenix surges. I take screen shots of these ridiculous requests, for when I hear from these idiots and flat out tell them I refuse to lose money and show them their stupidity. Eff em bro, do what you gotta do. Those aholes aren'the paying your expenses. My favorite response from uber was my actions would force another driver further away to accept the ride. My response: I don't care, other drivers don't pay my bills, they're not my co-workers, I don't know them.

Jeff
The correct answer is: no driver should bear responsibility for the lack of drivers 20 minutes away.

stuber

I'm sure Uber Phoenix fully understands the stupidity of their policies. It's corporate in SF creating the problems.

If corporate had any brains they'd at least test out some alternative strategies. They could, for instance, just let Phoenix run their own affairs for a year and see how it works. In fact, Phoenix is basically the ideal test market because there are literally no local regulations limiting any aspect of for hire cars. No medallion. No caps. Uber could run 50,000 cars in Phoenix, and the city couldn't care less. Same goes for Sky Harbor. They won't restrict Uber from parking thousands cars on their property.

So, Uber Phoenix should experiment. They should set prices at taxicab rates or higher, then see what happens.

My guess is that Uber would actually make more money, because demand wouldn't fall off significantly. Those rates would cause huge numbers of the remaining taxi drivers to switch over to Uber. This could double the driver density. SURGE would basically disappear, but it wouldn't particularly matter to drivers. The increased rates would most likely result in equal or better net pay.

That move would probably drain Lyft of most of it's drivers as well. Thus they wouldn't have drivers, and thus, it wouldn't matter if they had lower prices.

Uber could afford to experiment, but since they already know everything, I guess they won't.

LEAFdriver

Just got this text AGAIN from Uber:
ubercanceltext.jpg

Of course, they don't let you respond via text....so I emailed them back. :p
--------------------------------------------

UBER:

I’ve noticed you’ve been sending me a high number of pings for passengers that are no-shows and also for rides where no destination has been given me ahead of time.

This creates a negative experience for drivers and passengers and ultimately leads to less partners willing to pick up Uber passengers for super low rates.

If you send me a trip request, please give me ALL the information entered by the rider which INCLUDES their destination. Make sure the passenger knows that they should be ‘Toes to Curb’ and ready to complete their trip request.

Thanks!

:biggrin: :rolleyes:

LEAFdriver

Just got this text AGAIN from Uber:

Of course, they don't let you respond via text....so I emailed them back. :p
--------------------------------------------

UBER:

I’ve noticed you’ve been sending me a high number of pings for passengers that are no-shows and also for rides where no destination has been given me ahead of time.

This creates a negative experience for drivers and passengers and ultimately leads to less partners willing to pick up Uber passengers for super low rates.

If you send me a trip request, please give me ALL the information entered by the rider which INCLUDES their destination. Make sure the passenger knows that they should be ‘Toes to Curb’ and ready to complete their trip request.

Thanks!

:biggrin: :rolleyes:
And in true Uber Fashion....THIS is their well thought out reply:

uberreply.jpg

This is the: "We don't really care what you have to say" template. :rolleyes:

UofMDriver

Uber only cares about their profits not the drivers. As long as they can keep getting new drivers on the road, they really don't care if old ones stick around.