• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber Comfort Comes to San Diego

BBslider001

on my way to pick up a comfort ride right now. I'll see how this goes and report back. By the way the passenger has a 4.38 rating but I decided to take it anyway just for laughs.

Upon dropoff:

Ok, now that my back is all sweaty from a request of no AC and the windows up, yeah....@@@@ that. That 4.38 was there for a reason. I won't divulge all the chitty details. That is all.

Last edited:

Don't swim in pools

on my way to pick up a comfort ride right now. I'll see how this goes and report back. By the way the passenger has a 4.38 rating but I decided to take it anyway just for laughs.

Upon dropoff:

Ok, now that my back is all sweaty from a request of no AC and the windows up, yeah....@@@@ that. That 4.38 was there for a reason. I won't divulge all the chitty details. That is all.
Omg. I would have canceled that when I saw what the request was hahaha. Now the next pax gets steamy sweatstank.

PioneerXi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m went back into the pen today at 1500. I was apprehensive as I’m usually on DF, if not home by then.

At 1500:
  • Uber X 46-50 estimated wait 3 hours.
  • At 1510 before I had a chance to check incoming flights, Uber Comfort ping from T2.
  • On way out, except for Black, I counted 5 other vehicles potentially Select or Comfort in the pen.
  • Ride was to Sheraton where I previously got the “short ride” notification. Did not receive it. Minimum fare.
I returned to the pen at 1520.
  • Uber X 56-60. (No idea on wait time having never timed that).
  • At 1530 Uber Comfort ping for T2, out to Fletcher Hills.
I’m satisfied that at the airport I can “jump” ahead of X drivers for Comfort pings.

I’d like to hear from the Select drivers. In other forums the consensus is that Comfort will decimate Select.

Last edited:

Don't swim in pools

I’m went back into the pen today at 1500. I was apprehensive as I’m usually on DF, if not home by then.

At 1500:
  • At 1510 before I had a chance to check incoming flights, Uber Comfort ping from T2.
  • On way out, except for Black, I counted 5 other vehicles potentially Select or Comfort in the pen.
  • Ride was to Sheraton where I previously got the “short ride” notification. Did not receive it. Minimum fare.
I’m satisfied that at the airport I can “jump” ahead of X drivers for Comfort pings.

I’d like to hear from the Select drivers. In other forums the consensus is that Comfort will decimate Select.
This is how they rate cut select. Yes it's the death of select. It will get worse the longer it goes as pax learn to use comfort instead of select.

BBslider001

At 1500:

I will say this. I experienced the same in the pen, which I NEVER go to anymore. But, about a 5-7 minute wait with a 35-40 queue and got a ping for Comfort. I took four comfort rides today and the only one that was bad was the first one. The others were just fine. The last passenger I had was an airline pilot for FedEx and I asked him with the comfort deal was from the pax point of view, and he told me the only reason he selected is because it said it was a newer car. He didn't mind paying the extra 9 bucks. The only comfort ride I had with preferences was the first one, all the rest were just labeled comfort, and there were no preferences when I picked up the passenger. I'm good with them for the most part I "think". We shall see. My guard is still up.

Last edited:

PioneerXi

Whoa...other cities are reporting rate reductions already for Comfort.

:::cough cough::: DC

Transportador

I dropped somebody off at the border and then received a request for Uber coyote. I'm not sure what that's about but I'm sure it will clash with my kitty.
LOL not if you run into that hot chic CBP agent they posted on Yahoo news!
Post automatically merged:

At 1500:

I always had two cars, one on X/Pool/slime/crap/turd and the other on Select. I rarely drive my Select car due to having to accept a few X and Pool rides sometimes when I'm on DF. Select revenue is only about 10% of my total revenue. And if you do Select only, you'll make the same money as X during the same amount of time, but just less work (and a lot more waiting).

Select is not really worth it because of X and Pool already. With Comfort added, Select is going to die a tragic death! My Select car is safely parked at home hehehe.

And my method of driving a POS on X means I am exempt form those stupid ass Comfort trips, Yeeha.

BTW, I get to jump the airport queue all the time due to my rating of 4.97 for 4 years!

Last edited:

Hornplayer

Tap and hold the power button and home button simultaneously

Follow the link in the in app message or the email they sent out about Comfort. There’s a link to the car list
I received no link or app message about Comfort, from Uber. But a poster in the "Advice" forum on this forum, showed me the following link:

Scroll down to the bottom, there's a short section about Uber Comfort. There's also a link to a list of "Eligible cars".

Honda Accord, year 2016 or newer, is listed. Mine's a 2019. I have 740-plus rides, Driver Rating is 4.95.

I tried the stunt where you turn on your Driver app and go online with it; then turn on your Uber Passenger app and request Comfort. My car didn't show up as an ant. Only a few cars did, usually several miles away.

When I requested UberX instead, then lots of cars showed up on the Passenger App, including mine.

How do I sign up to provide Uber Comfort rides?

Transportador

I received no link or app message about Comfort, from Uber. But a poster in the "Advice" forum on this forum, showed me the following link:

Scroll down to the bottom, there's a short section about Uber Comfort. There's also a link to a list of "Eligible cars".

Honda Accord, year 2016 or newer, is listed. Mine's a 2019. I have 740-plus rides, Driver Rating is 4.95.

I tried the stunt where you turn on your Driver app and go online with it; then turn on your Uber Passenger app and request Comfort. My car didn't show up as an ant. Only a few cars did, usually several miles away.

When I requested UberX instead, then lots of cars showed up on the Passenger App, including mine.

How do I sign up to provide Uber Comfort rides?
If they didn't send you an email or app message it means they don't think you or your car is qualified. We don't sign up anywhere. You should go complain about it to the hub.

Hornplayer

Well whaddaya know. I wrote a note to Uber Support, it disappeared into the ether. Several days later went to the local Uber headquarters (Pyramid building on Miramar Rd.) and asked how I can become Comfort qualified. They basically said they don't hande that there, it was done at some more central office (probably where I sent the note).

Now this morning I did the stunt again, turning on my Driver app and going online to solicit ride requests, and then turning on the Uber Passenger app and requesting Comfort. And there was now an ant right on my location!

I have no idea which of my discussions with Uber (if any) caused the change, or whether it just happened to happen right then. Maybe it just takes Uber a while to go thru their lists and decide who get Comfort-qualified. Or maybe the squeaky wheel finally got the grease. But now I'm apparently Comfort-qualified. Or my car is, I guess. :thumbup:

Hornplayer

(Later that day)

Umm, no it isn't. Did the stunt again, and now there is NO ant on my location in the Uber Passenger app for Comfort, when I turn on my Uber Driver app and go online. When I select UberX in the Passenger app, then there IS an ant on my location, plus others nearby.

But when I select Comfort, no ant where I am. Almost none on the screen, maybe one several miles away.

Uber giveth, and Uber taketh away.

Seth619navy

Now with Uber having a slightly more expensive option for pax with Comfort, I've found myself being a regular Chatty Cathy on a lot more rides. I'm not getting paid extra on X rides by being quiet and reserved, especially if these folks ain't tipping! If they want their driver to STFU, they can now pay a few extra shekels for Comfort.

PioneerXi

Checking my numbers:

On 20 July 2019, 11 days after Uber Comfort came to town, I completed 50 Comfort rides, When compared with the previous 50 rides, my numbers look like this:

• Comfort now comprises 72% of all rides given.
  • Comfort represents 80% of all rides given, to or from an airport. (SAN, CBX, LAX.)
  • Tips (in app or cash) 21%, up from 8%
  • Long trips (60+) up 400% (took 5).
  • Minimum fares now 2%, down from 9%.
  • Not one Pool request in 11 days (has continued through till today)
  • Comfort has reduced my Lyft rides, down almost 95%. I only took two Lyft in eleven days.
I cant compete with the fuel mileage of the Prius/Camry crowd. My fuel dollars are slightly up, but cost has been lowered approximately 12%. (This number is still fluatuating).

I only had three rides to/from Comic Con, either Hotel-convention or visa versa, and they were stacked pings after Airport-Manchester/Marriott/Hilton runs, so I don’t think that affected me. Comic Con attendees waiting times is unknown so that may have risen the number of Comfort rides I gave.

The minimum fare and decimation of Lyft were the two that stood out to me as I had my the highest grossing week since May 2018.

Your numbers may vary,

Blushark

Checking my numbers:

On 20 July 2019, 11 days after Uber Comfort came to town, I completed 50 Comfort rides, When compared with the previous 50 rides, my numbers look like this:

• Comfort now comprises 72% of all rides given.
  • Comfort represents 80% of all rides given, to or from an airport. (SAN, CBX, LAX.)
  • Tips (in app or cash) 21%, up from 8%
  • Long trips (60+) up 400% (took 5).
  • Minimum fares now 2%, down from 9%.
  • Not one Pool request in 11 days (has continued through till today)
  • Comfort has reduced my Lyft rides, down almost 95%. I only took two Lyft in eleven days.
I cant compete with the fuel mileage of the Prius/Camry crowd. My fuel dollars are slightly up, but cost has been lowered approximately 12%. (This number is still fluatuating).

I only had three rides to/from Comic Con, either Hotel-convention or visa versa, and they were stacked pings after Airport-Manchester/Marriott/Hilton runs, so I don’t think that affected me. Comic Con attendees waiting times is unknown so that may have risen the number of Comfort rides I gave.

The minimum fare and decimation of Lyft were the two that stood out to me as I had my the highest grossing week since May 2018.

Your numbers may vary,
You don't say what kind of car you are driving? Were you driving XL or strictly X?

Hornplayer

PioneerXi, what make/model car are you driving for Comfort service?

Could the huge changes for your driving, be due in part to the scarcity of Comfort drivers in San Diego?

It stands to reason that far more Uber riders are requesting X, pool, etc., than are requesting Comfort. Why spend the extra $$ when a Prius or Civic will get them there just as quickly?

I would guess that the ratio of UberX rides requested, to UberX rides given, is approx. 1 to 1. (That's obviously a WAG on my part.) Many UberXs requested, many UberXs given.

But with only a few Comfort-qualified car/drivers in San Diego, you and the few others get a relatively high number of Comfort requests. And when you accept one, Uber can't send you any more X or Comfort requests until you are near the end of the current Comfort ride. When a Comfort request shows up near the end of your current ride, You are VERY likely to get it... since there is no one else qualified, anywhere near.

My guess is that You will get ALL the Comfort requests within five miles of your location, since there is no one else qualified within that area. This may account for the huge percentage of Comfort rides you are currently getting.

Does that make any sense?

Several times when I set my Passenger App to request a Comfort ride, the result has come back, "No cars available". I can't tell how many other passengers are requesting Comfort cars. But if my car were Comfort qualified (2019 Honda Accord), I'd get them all during that period.

As for the increased length of ride, maybe folks don't care about a nice car if they're only gong to be in it for five minutes. But if it's 40 minutes, perhaps more people start caring about a more comfortable car?

More guesses by me. Worth what you paid for them.

I still haven't figured out why my car and I haven't been qualified for Uber Comfort driving. 2019 Honda Accord, 750+ rides, 4.95 driver rating. I've written the Uber Support line, gone to the Greenlight hub at the Pyramid on Miramar to ask them about it, still nada. What am I doing wrong?

PioneerXi

You don't say what kind of car you are driving? Were you driving XL or strictly X?
2017 Chevy Equinox. Listed earlier in thread. It was only X elligable prior to Comfort.

Could the huge changes for your driving, be due in part to the scarcity of Comfort drivers in San Diego?
But with only a few Comfort-qualified car/drivers in San Diego, you and the few others get a relatively high number of Comfort requests. And when you accept one, Uber can't send you any more X or Comfort requests until you are near the end of the current Comfort ride. When a Comfort request shows up near the end of your current ride, You are VERY likely to get it... since there is no one else qualified, anywhere near.

My guess is that You will get ALL the Comfort requests within five miles of your location, since there is no one else qualified within that area. This may account for the huge percentage of Comfort rides you are currently getting.

As for the increased length of ride, maybe folks don't care about a nice car if they're only gong to be in it for five minutes. But if it's 40 minutes, perhaps more people start caring about a more comfortable car?
Yes, my numbers are going up due to Comfort, particularly at the airport. I’m reporting similarly to other cities like LA and DC that have more Comfort drivers.

I believe length of ride is a factor. Of the riders I’ve asked “newer car” and “extra legroom” are the two factors which made they choose the higher rate.