Uber comes out swinging at Emanuel's proposed $1-a-ride fee

Oh My

I knew there was a reason they started tracking the number of rideshare vehicles with those tax emblems that are now required.

chi1cabby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Under the current structure, how does the City tax a Taxi Fare?
There is no tax on the taxi fare.
The city gets the revenue from:
  1. A daily $3 Ground Transportation Tax on all cabs.
  2. Lease Tax on cab leases (6.5% I think).
  3. Airport Arrival/Departure Stamps $4.
  4. Annual Medallion Renewal Fee ($500 I think).
  5. Medallion Sales/Transfer Tax 5% - 10%.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

There is no tax on the taxi fare. The city gets the revenue from...
THANKS Chi1 for having the Facts!

I'm trying to put this into a context of the proposed $1 per ride TNC tax. How much is the consumer paying per ride in "taxes" under the current model? Uberx fares currently pay $.30 City Tax per ride. This proposal would be a 4x increase. Just spitballing some #'s here:

1) 3$ per cab/18 rides per shift? = $.17
2) $80 Lease/day * 6.5% = 5.20/18= $.29
3) How many of these would one do in a day?? Say 2 ea. = 8/18 = $.44
4) 500/365 = 1.37/18 = $.08
5) 350k * 5% = 17500 /365/18 = $2.67 (But only for transfered licenses)

Total = $.98 per ride plus allocate the approximate $20k for every trnsfr. Hard to get this number without BACP records so we can't know for sure.

But given this Taxi fee structure, an Uberx per ride tax of $1.30 seems very reasonable (Since there are zero medallion taxes to incur). Anybody know what the Livery fares pay in taxes? I know they also have to pay the Airport stamps. And with an GUBerx rate already 50% of a Taxi and 30% of a Livery, how can people complain about this?

And GUBer will use this as an excuse to lower rates again on the backs of drivers. So the precious customer can still ride cheaper than the frickin bus. Maybe CTA will start @@@@@in about their decreased ridership because all their customers are moving to the GUber.

Oh My

Even though Rahm Emanuel has a movie star relative in Hollywood that is (surprise!) also an Uber "investor", there is NO WAY his gay former ballerina gay Jewish ass isn't passing up a chance to stick his hand in a cookie jar. His own son was "tuned up" by some dealers outside his own home for obviously not paying his "bill".

I knew there was a reason they started tracking the number of rideshare vehicles with those tax emblems that are now required.
All of a sudden Uber is worried about the impact on "driver partners"? These are the guys that said they increase their commission because they can and they lower fares the same way. The one dollar per trip will be paid by the passenger and the UberX rate will still be less than cab fare. The only way UberX drivers will make any money will be when the "last ones standing" remain after the majority of Uber drivers realize that they've been hoodwinked. I wonder how long that will take. Before the self driving car eliminates everybody?

Even though Rahm Emanuel has a movie star relative in Hollywood that is (surprise!) also an Uber "investor", there is NO WAY his gay former ballerina gay Jewish ass isn't passing up a chance to stick his hand in a cookie jar. His own son was "tuned up" by some dealers outside his own home for obviously not paying his "bill".
anti Semitic racist pig? Maybe.

William1964

I support the tax. I would like to see alcohol taxed as heavily as cigarettes. Might as well raise them again too but on a state wide level.

chi1cabby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
1) 3$ per cab/18 rides per shift? = $.17
2) $80 Lease/day * 6.5% = 5.20/18= $.29
3) How many of these would one do in a day?? Say 2 ea. = 8/18 = $.44
4) 500/365 = 1.37/18 = $.08
5) 350k * 5% = 17500 /365/18 = $2.67 (But only for transfered licenses)

Total = $.98 per ride plus allocate the approximate $20k for every trnsfr. Hard to get this number without BACP records so we can't know for sure.
I think the last figure for total revenue was around $50 Million in 2013. I've been trying to find the article I saw that in.
It'd be difficult to translate the total revenue raised by the City of Chicago from the Taxis & Taxi Drivers into revenue per ride basis, without the total number of taxi rides.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

Agreed. But wouldn't operators have at least a reasonable idea? Assuming a certain "fudge" factor in the books, most would have to know about how many fares are lifted on a weekly/monthly basis.

And individual drivers certainly know how many orders they've filled, even if they are not scrupulously recording same!

I'm trying to be fair and balanced and keep the proposed "rideshare" tax in a proper perspective.

If Taxi/Livery fares generate xx% of tax revenue per user/per rider...then TNC should be at a similar rate without anyone getting too bent out of shape about it.

As long as customers pay the nut and the TNCs don't use this as an excuse to lower fares to compensate. Then Driver's begin paying the tax and not the customer.

Luberon

I would rather pay $1 knowing it will eventually be spent on improving city services than pay $1 safe BS fee. Go Rahm!!!