• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber Class Action Lawsuit California: Upfront pricing ripping off drivers

Disgusted Driver

It's nationwide not just California. Question is, did you opt out of arbitration? Most drivers didn't some they may not benefit from this.

Fargle

I was pretty much forced to accept arbitration when signing up. How can someone get in on this class action?

LADryver

I have had personal experience getting other class action payouts, and they are not dependent upon any agreement or waiver of arbitration I believe. Most similar was an additional amount of wages paid when a company violated a labor law. I was contacted by post card informing me that I was a member of the class and telling me that I had a right to opt out if I wanted to sue directly. I did not opt out. They computed what was owed according to the terms of the Order and sent me a check. I did not have to do anything except cash/deposit the check.

UberThisMK

I was pretty much forced to accept arbitration when signing up. How can someone get in on this class action?
Every driver was given the option to opt out of arbitration along with instructions on how to do so. If you choose not to read contracts before signing them then that's on you.

Wombat7

Every driver was given the option to opt out of arbitration along with instructions on how to do so. If you choose not to read contracts before signing them then that's on you.
As if we had any choice.

That's the problem, you have no choice. Ever.

You want pings coming your way... you HAVE to agree.

No agree, no pings. Those are the terms.

Updated terms of service? At least you can enlarge the writing and read it now. Couldn't do that 2 months ago. Wanna drive... you agree.

But hey, we're all big boys (and some girls) here. We all bent over and agreed.

UberThisMK

As if we had any choice.

That's the problem, you have no choice. Ever.

You want pings coming your way... you HAVE to agree.

No agree, no pings. Those are the terms.

Updated terms of service? At least you can enlarge the writing and read it now. Couldn't do that 2 months ago. Wanna drive... you agree.

But hey, we're all big boys (and some girls) here. We all bent over and agreed.
You have to agree to everything in the driver agreement except the arbitration clause. You had 30 days to opt out of that.

LADryver

You have to agree to everything in the driver agreement except the arbitration clause. You had 30 days to opt out of that.
Arbitration clauses are for disputes had by the driver against Uber I believe. I highly doubt it has any effect on the class action.

somedriverguy

Absolutely, and if you opted out then you weren't allowed on the platform. Great option, yeah?

UberThisMK

Absolutely, and if you opted out then you weren't allowed on the platform. Great option, yeah?
Not true.

Arbitration clauses are for disputes had by the driver against Uber I believe. I highly doubt it has any effect on the class action.
Drivers who didn't opt out of the arbitration clause can't participate in a class action and must resolve any disputes via arbitration.