Uber Christmas morning tea

Skyring

Author
Uber Canberra, in conjunction with the "Visit Canberra" team, put on a morning tea for some of their drivers this morning. Held at the National Museum of Australia on Acton Peninsula, we looked out on Lake Burley Griffin on a gorgeous summer day, while sipping our drinks and munching sinful pastries.

Uber tea 001.jpg

It was good to meet so many drivers. I remembered one young lady, a gorgeous blonde, from the Uber launch a month or so back, and it was an absolute delight to meet Mavis and Skyblue6. So many others; I barely had time to say hello.

Uber drivers, I am happy to say, come in all shapes and sizes, ages and cultural backgrounds. One thing in common: all enjoying the job. The atmosphere was upbeat and optimistic.

A few Uber reps in attendance, to answer questions - "When can we pick up from the airport?" "We're working on it." - and to gain some in-person feedback.

For a business run on the Internet, it's often difficult to see the real-world impact. I might see my own little segment in the intersection of driver and rider for a few brief minutes, but very rarely do I get to see another Uber driver in real life. Likewise for the Uber staffers, who can see the big picture, but only rarely the people in person.

So it was good. My only real complaint is that the function room was a little noisy for this aurally-challenged old soldier.

My wife had the car for an appointment, so while I was chowing down on the danishes, she was enjoying the attentions of the dentist. I considered cycling to and from the event, but it's a hot day, and I took Ubers there and back.

Five star drivers, both ways!

Attachments

• Uber tea 002.jpg
    Uber tea 002.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 57

Mavis

Uber Canberra, in conjunction with the "Visit Canberra" team, put on a morning tea for some of their drivers this morning. Held at the National Museum of Australia on Acton Peninsula, we looked out on Lake Burley Griffin on a gorgeous summer day, while sipping our drinks and munching sinful pastries.

View attachment 20619

It was good to meet so many drivers. I remembered one young lady, a gorgeous blonde, from the Uber launch a month or so back, and it was an absolute delight to meet Mavis and Skyblue6. So many others; I barely had time to say hello.

Uber drivers, I am happy to say, come in all shapes and sizes, ages and cultural backgrounds. One thing in common: all enjoying the job. The atmosphere was upbeat and optimistic.

A few Uber reps in attendance, to answer questions - "When can we pick up from the airport?" "We're working on it." - and to gain some in-person feedback.

For a business run on the Internet, it's often difficult to see the real-world impact. I might see my own little segment in the intersection of driver and rider for a few brief minutes, but very rarely do I get to see another Uber driver in real life. Likewise for the Uber staffers, who can see the big picture, but only rarely the people in person.

So it was good. My only real complaint is that the function room was a little noisy for this aurally-challenged old soldier.

My wife had the car for an appointment, so while I was chowing down on the danishes, she was enjoying the attentions of the dentist. I considered cycling to and from the event, but it's a hot day, and I took Ubers there and back.

Five star drivers, both ways!

I agree. What a lovely and interesting lot we all are. A perfect account of the event too, Skyring! It was great to meet the people I got to meet. I was chatting so much I missed out on the pastries haha!! Drove a lovely, highly rated uber driver back home and it turns out he's a five star rider as well! It's a busy afternoon out by the looks of it (I have a prior commitment and cannot drive until tonight, but I cannot wait to hit the uber road) Stay well and hydrated everyone !! Look forward to the next meet and greet!

Skyblue6

Was wonderful to meet you all and put a face to the names. Was quite interesting to see what other drivers thought and get someone else's perspective.

The room was quite dreadful for such lively chatter and hopefully next time we can get something that reduces the echo.

It's a shame we didn't see thallium, unless he saw us and we didn't know it lol.

Was a pleasure to meet you all.

NHB

I was planning to go but ended up working till about 530am, was non stop for nearly the whole night after I started at 11pm.
Thanks for the information on how the morning tea went, was looking forward to meeting some drivers and ask a few questions from the uber staff.
Were there any freebies such as the fluffy dice other forums have mentioned?
Hopefully see you guys at the next one.

Skyring

Author
Goodie bags were handed out. Some tourist brochures, a biro, free tickets to local attractions including the Tom Roberts exhibition. I think I might drop in at the visitors centre on Northbourne Avenue from time to time, make up a few packets of brochures and a map for tourists.

Reactions: NHB

MelbaGuy

Sadly I was unable to attend after accepting the invite. The "other job" took precedence today :frown:

I did manage to get a surge fare today however, ANU to Deakin at 1.3. The surge amount shows up in a separate column on the payment statement.

Skyblue6

I was planning to go but ended up working till about 530am, was non stop for nearly the whole night after I started at 11pm.
Thanks for the information on how the morning tea went, was looking forward to meeting some drivers and ask a few questions from the uber staff.
Were there any freebies such as the fluffy dice other forums have mentioned?
Hopefully see you guys at the next one.

I spoke to one of the lads and there is the existence of fluffy dice and we may get them. Don't know when or how :-(