Uber Cheating

PepeLePiu

I have a couple of Uber friends, some times we hang together while waiting for pings or just to chat and smoke. One of them uses an Iphone, I use and android and so its the other guy. So last night the guy using the Iphone got to one of my drop locations (I have about 7 around the city where, after I drop a pax I go to, sure and tested places for pings), I was smoking and he joined me. Sure enough I got a ping like 5 minutes after he stopped by, I try to accept it and couldn't, and all of the sudden the timer went really fast and ended like I ignored it, the ping went to him right away. I thought it was an issue with my phone and I also saw a drop on my acceptance rate. I turned off the app, rebooted my phone and I got another ping almost right away with no problems.
I took a few more rides and then I got to another of my locations and sure enough he went over there and we started chatting and chit. I got another ping and it happened the same thing as before, I couldn't tap to accept the ping and then it bounce to him, he took it and left.
I done over 500 rides on Uber and about 50 on Lyft, never had an issue to accept any rides on either app until yesterday, and is more than coincidental that this happened only when he was around.
Later on I chose one of my locations where I parked on a street but can't park next to each other. I sent him a text about using some kind of jamming which he denied right away, but then asked me to join him in a parking lot nearby, like he wanted to talk about it but I didn't went and got all my pings back to normal.
This is how it worked: I got a ping, it seemed normal, try to tap but it doesn't respond, then the times goes really fast and then it disappears. You get dinged on your acceptance rate.
I'm thinking about reporting the issue to Uber, but at the same time I don't want to be a rat.

The question is: Does anybody here know about this? or Has it happened to you?

Go4

Just an idea for you. Check your signal, then pull next to your "friend" see if your signal is getting blocked. Try it a couple time. If it keeps happening, you can file a report with the FCC. Jammers are big time illegal.
Anyone running a jammer is blocking people from calling 911 or worse from updating their facebook! Government takes it very seriously when people can't update the governments social sites. Oh and if they can't can 911, too.

PepeLePiu

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just an idea for you. Check your signal, then pull next to your "friend" see if your signal is getting blocked. Try it a couple time. If it keeps happening, you can file a report with the FCC. Jammers are big time illegal.
Anyone running a jammer is blocking people from calling 911 or worse from updating their facebook! Government takes it very seriously when people can't update the governments social sites. Oh and if they can't can 911, too.
I don't think I will go near him anymore. I have a lot of respect for fair competition and understand the need to make money, thats the same thing that drove me to driver for Uber. In light of these circumstances I will try to stay away from him from now on. Once bitten twice shy, trust is not something you can win back that easy. I'm still at odds about reporting him, because if he did this to me, that we are supposed to be friends, he will do it with anybody else. All of us toiling in this mostly unappreciated UberSphere deserve a fair shot at the game.

SuzeCB

I don't think I will go near him anymore. I have a lot of respect for fair competition and understand the need to make money, thats the same thing that drove me to driver for Uber. In light of these circumstances I will try to stay away from him from now on. Once bitten twice shy, trust is not something you can win back that easy. I'm still at odds about reporting him, because if he did this to me, that we are supposed to be friends, he will do it with anybody else. All of us toiling in this mostly unappreciated UberSphere deserve a fair shot at the game.
Friends don't steal from you.

Trebor

From my understanding, if he used a jammer, his cell phone will be jammed to. I have thought about going to the airport TNC lot and jamming everybody for a couple seconds and then log into my phone at the same time I release the jam. Of course, I decided not to since not only is it illegal, but knowing my luck, I would end up blocking a airplane's flight system somehow and they crash upon landing and of course when that happens I would also get a $5 ride to a nearby hotel.

I suppose if he has android and you an iphone, it maybe possible if he can get single out your iphone's frequency but highly unlikely.

A more likely scenario, is your phone is acting up. My phone did this a couple of times in the past, I simply closed the app and reopened.

PepeLePiu

From my understanding, if he used a jammer, his cell phone will be jammed to. I have thought about going to the airport TNC lot and jamming everybody for a couple seconds and then log into my phone at the same time I release the jam. Of course, I decided not to since not only is it illegal, but knowing my luck, I would end up blocking a airplane's flight system somehow and they crash upon landing and of course when that happens I would also get a $5 ride to a nearby hotel.

I suppose if he has android and you an iphone, it maybe possible if he can get single out your iphone's frequency but highly unlikely.

A more likely scenario, is your phone is acting up. My phone did this a couple of times in the past, I simply closed the app and reopened.
I did close my app and rebooted my phone the first time, the odds of my phone acting up twice in one day, only when I was near him and in the same way are very unlikely. I never had any issue with my apps (both Lyft/Uber) in over 500 rides. The second time when I heard the ping I tried to tap it but is like he was ready to get the request. This was no coincidence or malfunction.

Coachman

I've had a couple instances where something similar to what you've described happened. I get a ping, I tap to accept, and nothing happens and the ping times out. This happened while I was driving and no other drivers were nearby to my knowledge. I assumed it was a bug in my app.

PepeLePiu

I've had a couple instances where something similar to what you've described happened. I get a ping, I tap to accept, and nothing happens and the ping times out. This happened while I was driving and no other drivers were nearby to my knowledge. I assumed it was a bug in my app.
I get that, my point is that this happened 2 times, same day, in proximity of the same driver and he got ahold of both requests. Fishy to say the least.

supra_driven

Maybe it's Uber doing it? Some kind of secret algorithm. I know that sometimes when I'm at the airport queue on Lyft, I'll get a ping ahead of drivers that were already there before me. Same kind of cars as me. I have a 4.98 rating on Lyft. Don't know why I skip people in front of me. Usually it's 5 drivers that I skip.

Blackcab

Happens a few times a week. Sometimes in my house.

Happens a few times a week. Sometimes in my house.
Not a good idea to be around other drivers anyway. If you get bored go eat or go home.

PepeLePiu

Not a good idea to be around other drivers anyway. If you get bored go eat or go home.
I start to think that way, when i started I went almost for 3 months without talking to other drivers in my area and my ping average per day was higher, I know there is more drivers now but I thought some networking was important. My bad.

Blackcab

I start to think that way, when i started I went almost for 3 months without talking to other drivers in my area and my ping average per day was higher, I know there is more drivers now but I thought some networking was important. My bad.
Lot of smart drivers file away info. You worked hard to find your hot spots. Don't give it away. Even if they seem like friends. I never talk to other drivers unless at airport , even then just small talk.

circle1

Seriously, Oops!ber does-not-care. The ONLY time you will get a response is if there's any seriousness or potential trouble . . . to them! If you know any hackers or Information Technology majors, ask them for help.

Go4

Seriously, Oops!ber does-not-care. The ONLY time you will get a response is if there's any seriousness or potential trouble . . . to them! If you know any hackers or Information Technology majors, ask them for help.
And where did I say contact "Oops!ber?" I said go to the feds. Uber would NOT help.

Rakos

This is more common than you think...

Its not another driver...

Its a bug im the app...

Good news is it doesnt happen as often as it used to...

You are just being paranoid...

This has been one of the buggiest apps EVER....

nothing to see here now...move along...

Rakos