1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Featured Uber CEO to drivers: “Do your math”—We’ll actually need more drivers in 10 years

Discussion in 'News' started by SLuz, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Rick N.

Rick N. Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    does this mean that even robots will hate pool?that they'll need human ants to do them?

2. phillipzx3

phillipzx3 Well-Known Member

Portland Oregon has 1300 *legal* city registered cabs. Portland has 10,000 Uber/Lyft drivers. Uber/Lyft drivers used to make more per day than a taxi....at least until they had to compete with 9000 other Uber/Lyft drivers for the same small slice of pie.

More drivers produces less income. If Uber raised the rates, it would also reduce income. Why? Because there'd be 20,000 drivers vs. 10,000.

Tihstae and Rakos like this.
  3. Rakos

Rakos Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Bingo!!!

You have graduated...

And now are qualified....

To drive UBER EXPRESS...8>)

Rakos
    attachment-1.jpg
    PS. It says "I was already educated beyond my intelligence...

AllGold, Tihstae, Chris1973 and 3 others like this.
  4. tomatopaste

tomatopaste Well-Known Member

Because it's an entirely different game when you don't need drivers. Uber needs drivers but they also need the drivers to supply the very expensive tool, the car. If Uber had to invest the tens of thousands for the car, they wouldn't be able to treat drivers like crap. If an Uber driver quits, no big deal, but if Uber had invested the money for the car and the driver quits, it's a big deal. The expensive tool is now sitting idle.

A self driving taxi service however is an entirely different game. The cost of the asset, the car, is a bargain when you get to keep 100 percent of the fare. From a liability and public relations aspect the self driving taxi company will have to own the cars.

They will have to be able to prove all their cars are maintained in excellent condition and inspected weekly if not daily. If Tesla tried to operate a self driving taxi service with private cars, Waymo would destroy them in the media by saying Tesla has no control over how the cars on their system are being maintained.

Rakos likes this.
  5. corniilius

corniilius Well-Known Member

LOL! I won't be driving for uber by that point.

Yam Digger and Rakos like this.

6. PrestonT

PrestonT Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Believe me when I say that the last thing Dara wants is for drivers to be good at math.

7. jgiun1

jgiun1 Active Member

I think the math should include other companies in the business that are ahead of the program of the driverless taxi route. In ten years they might not have the market piece of the pie they think will be there. Just imagine the cuts to fares to stay competitive when two or three companies going after customer's prepaid memberships...I for sure will NOT be the on the 20-30% of suckers

I read somewhere that the cost will have to be the 20K per car range to profit with technology already in it.

Rakos likes this.
  8. UbingInLA

UbingInLA Well-Known Member

Uber CEO to drivers: "Do your meth"

20171113_154116.png

Uber drivers to CEO: "OK"

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 12:05 PM
  9. Rakos

Rakos Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    That looks like...

A methage to do meth...8>O

Best tooth killer on the planet....8>)

I understand...

You were being fathesus...8>)

Rakos
    Pets-At-The-Movies.jpg

10. tomatopaste

tomatopaste Well-Known Member

This was the hottest phone on the market before Apple launched the iphone.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/...8219/81a7f6e9-df92-4f2a-8960-4ccf87a4c748.jpg

A year later you couldn't give them away. Uber is walking dead and Dara knows it. He was hired because he promised the board he could tell bald faced lies with a straight face.

11. MoreTips

MoreTips Well-Known Member

You sir are absolutely correct. I would say there are 50/50 odds that Uber will exist in ten years.
    I think by then it will simply be a verb for late night show host to use when describing a failure or scam.

I think Uber is hopping to get people to "let their cars drive themselves for Uber" Uber will trick driverless car owners into letting Uber borrow the car, while calling the owner a partner and offering a % of the ride profits*.
    They will use the catch phrase like "let your car work for you".

12. Laino

Laino Member

In 10 years uber will be gone. Other companies are coming with 15% commission. Now is uber and lyft vs drivers. Soon there will be many more vs drivers and they will fight for us. The ceo or whatever he is trying to steer the sinking ship. Don’t pay atention to the boy with the pink sunglasses.
    P.s. : Just farted really bad in the car and I’m going to pick a fare...

Enoch Shadkam, Hhggh, Sn8ke73 and 2 others like this.
  13. SickOfThisSh

SickOfThisSh Member

Dara : Do your math.

UberTranslation : Just trust us we have all the data...WHY DON'T YOU TRUST US!!!

14. goneubering

goneubering Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    He sounds fairly reasonable. I can see the possibility of SDCs taking a 70% to 80% market share in the next ten years.

jgiun1 likes this.
  15. Jerseyguy72

Jerseyguy72 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I don't get the whole autonomous car thing, if they still need a driver what's the point? It would be cheaper and less of a headache to just keep us.
    Where will they park these cars? Who will clean them? Maintenance? What does one of these cars cost to buy? What does it cost to insure one of these things? Get where I'm going with this? Why would they spend that kind of money? Just for the cool factor? I know they have a history of making bad business decisions but this would take the cake!

16. SurgeWarrior

SurgeWarrior Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    In 10 years Uber will be capable of pissing off even their autonomous car fleet.

17. WaveRunner1

WaveRunner1 Well-Known Member

In 10 years Uber will be in the dustbin of history like ENRON.

18. jgiun1

jgiun1 Active Member

Yea, and Uber won't be the only player

19. goneubering

goneubering Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I expect a bunch of players just like the auto industry at the beginning. Then we will see the inevitable winners and losers and industry consolidation.

Rakos, MoreTips and jgiun1 like this.
  20. Transportador

Transportador Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Automation has always reduced labor needs in the US industries. Self driving cars will reduce the number of Uber drivers in the US. In places like Mexico, they will still need more drivers as the business expands, just not here.