• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber CEO: Flying cars coming in 2023 - Hahahaha. Somebody please show Dara where the door is!

jocker12

Flying cars similar to those used in “The Jetsons” are coming sooner than you might think.

“We have a group called Elevate that’s working on Uber Air,” Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi said at the Economic Club of New York on Wednesday.

TickerSecurityLastChangeChange %
UBERUBER TECHNOLOGIES INC.29.11+0.10+0.33%
LYFTLYFT INC.47.32-0.19-0.40%
He thinks the ride-hailing giant will have vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) vehicles available to the middle and upper-middle class by 2023.

Khosrowshahi said Uber wants the vehicles, which will be electric and shared, to “be built more like cars than airlines” because the company thinks it can be a “mass-market product.”

Battery technology and battery density is “getting to a point where batteries can essentially lift their own weights and lift the weights of passengers,” Khosrowshahi said, adding that the vehicles will need to have multiple rotors because noise level is a “real issue.”

Flying a vehicle will “feel like playing a video game,” Khosrowshahi said, concluding that Uber’s ultimate goal is to “tell you the smartest way to get from point A to point B,” whether that be taking a car or another mode of transportation.

Last month, Uber reported its third-quarter loss narrowed to $1.2 billion, from $5.2 billion in the prior quarter. Khosrowshahi said he expects Uber to reach full-year profitability in fiscal year 2021.

losiglow

I'm not sure how he thinks this is going to work. Is he remotely aware of the energy costs of a VTOL vehicle? We have them now. They're called helicopters. They get about 8mpg and use 100 octane fuel. They can go well over 100mph but are NOT cheap to operate.

And if he wants to use jet engines, well, that would just be entertaining. Massive air gusts during takeoff and tons of noise (similar to helicopters really, but with a lot of heat added....).

goneubering

Flying cars similar to those used in “The Jetsons” are coming sooner than you might think.

“We have a group called Elevate that’s working on Uber Air,” Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi said at the Economic Club of New York on Wednesday.

TickerSecurityLastChangeChange %
UBERUBER TECHNOLOGIES INC.29.11+0.10+0.33%
LYFTLYFT INC.47.32-0.19-0.40%
He thinks the ride-hailing giant will have vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) vehicles available to the middle and upper-middle class by 2023.

Khosrowshahi said Uber wants the vehicles, which will be electric and shared, to “be built more like cars than airlines” because the company thinks it can be a “mass-market product.”

Battery technology and battery density is “getting to a point where batteries can essentially lift their own weights and lift the weights of passengers,” Khosrowshahi said, adding that the vehicles will need to have multiple rotors because noise level is a “real issue.”

Flying a vehicle will “feel like playing a video game,” Khosrowshahi said, concluding that Uber’s ultimate goal is to “tell you the smartest way to get from point A to point B,” whether that be taking a car or another mode of transportation.

Last month, Uber reported its third-quarter loss narrowed to $1.2 billion, from $5.2 billion in the prior quarter. Khosrowshahi said he expects Uber to reach full-year profitability in fiscal year 2021.
If he keeps this up he really will drive Uber’s stock price down to $5!!

Jay Dean

There is something else I didn’t consider...I wouldn’t get in one of those no matter how cool they might be, if Uber made it, no way am I getting in it lol

mrpjfresh

I think he'll get his flying cars way before Uber is ever profitable. 2021?! Ha! Try getting those losses under a billion a quarter for starters, Mr. K. Whenever this guy speaks, it is pure comedy. He should be doing stand up really.
I'm not sure how he thinks this is going to work. Is he remotely aware of the energy costs of a VTOL vehicle? We have them now. They're called helicopters. They get about 8mpg and use 100 octane fuel. They can go well over 100mph but are NOT cheap to operate.
What if he convinces people to use their own helicopters? Travis could...