Uber cars involved in 35 car pile up on Kennedy that sends 7 to hospital

BurgerTiime

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...r-Pileup-on-Kennedy-Expressway-416106203.html
At least 35 cars were involved in a massive pileup on the Kennedy Expressway Monday night, police said.

The chain-reaction crash happened at about 10:15 p.m. night between Division Street and North Avenue on the inbound express lanes.

Chicago firefighters rushed seven people to area hospitals, including a 39-year-old man who was transported to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in serious condition. Pileup on Kennedy Expressway

The six others had suffered minor injuries, according to Illinois State Police. Three men, ages 40 to 62, and a 28-year-old woman were treated at Rush Hospital. Two other men, ages 26 and 27, were taken to St. Mary’s of Nazareth.

At least 23 others refused treatment on the scene, police said.

It took more than three hours for officials to clear the damaged cars – including taxis, Uber vehicles, minivans, and even an Illinois State Police cruiser – from the inbound Kennedy Expressway lanes. The state trooper was not injured in the crash, police said.

The accident scene was finally cleared at 2 a.m. Tuesday, officials said.

Prior to the accident, the National Weather Service issued a Lake Effect Snow Warning that began in the area at 7 p.m., warning of icy roads and areas of low visibility that will make travel very hazardous.

Illinois State Police confirmed the cause of the crash was weather-related, stemming from the slick conditions.

One driver involved in the accident told NBC 5 his car slid for about 100 yards and “just could not stop.”

"We were all going too fast," he said. "I don't know if the express lanes should have been open."

The snow is expected to continue throughout the day Tuesday, with the Lake Effect Snow Warning remaining in effect for drivers until 4 p.m.

BurgerTiime

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The guy interviewed said we were all going to fast. How hard is it to realize you don't drive normal speed in a snow storm or right after a snow storm?
Someone on the radio said they witness a car with a passenger in back seat going too fast crossing multiple lanes and cutting off other drivers which caused a chain-reaction. They noticed airport identification stickers and Uber logo on Windsheild.
If they find an Uber driver triggered this, who the heck is going to pay for the mess and all those medical bills??
Wow this could ruin your life!
It's never worth it driving in bad conditions. You know Uber will deny all responsibility. Lawyers even advertise Uber has a reputation for not paying. Once an accident occurs they leave YOU holding the bag. Ubers "$1 million dollar coverage" is a mirage.
https://www.salvilaw.com/blog/2016/11/happens-injured-uber-accident/
Grab some popcorn

BurgerTiime

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess he thought if he said everyone was going to fast - they would all cancel each other out? lol
I think they meant everyone was going to fast to stop. If the car was crossing lanes to get into the carpool lane and found the lane was short, he brakes hard, causing a chain reaction and cars cannot brake in time. Anytime you see this stuff caught on camera you can always point out that one car that starts it.

blackjackross

Someone with a dual camera dash cam might have recorded how it started. Won't ever go out to drive for Uber or even off the clock without my cameras rolling.

Andretti

I guess he thought if he said everyone was going to fast - they would all cancel each other out? lol
Hah!

I'd be like: "Man, I'm putzing along at limit and they flew past me like I was standing still, then they wrecked and hit me"! :p

ChiGuy708

I think they meant everyone was going to fast to stop. If the car was crossing lanes to get into the carpool lane and found the lane was short, he brakes hard, causing a chain reaction and cars cannot brake in time. Anytime you see this stuff caught on camera you can always point out that one car that starts it.
Just an FYI , we don't have carpool lanes here in Chicago. We have what are called express lanes that have limited exits approx every 3-5 miles compared to the local lanes approx every 1-2 miles