Uber Brisbane New Years Eve (email exaggerations again)$$$

QLDUberDriver

Latest email from Uber regarding NYE earnings:

"New Years eve is one of the busiest nights of the year! Last year we saw drivers earning over $100 an hour in gross fares, during peak times!"

What they left out was that rates where 20% higher this time last year and the govt is this year capping surcharge at 5% as of 2017.

I made $100 gross per hour last year but this year will be 50/50 to earn that and you'll be dealing this year with:
  • the wild driving Ex taxi/Uber drivers,
  • Taxis,
  • Road closures
  • Over supply of drivers
  • Transport dept checks (more time off from doing jobs)
  • Lower quality riders who now know that they can catch the cheap uber being so smashed they might throw up in your car
  • Uber location issues thanks to moving the pin option to make it too hard for the simple thinkers to operate.
  • Surges that are lower than last NYE, e.g. x6 highest I saw
I hope everyone makes as much as possible in the safest and hassle free way.

Some of you drivers be sure to focus on the road not the rider location, no one wants to be in a car accident because of ignorance. Im sure the authorities will be out to make sure some of the rookies get tickets for stopping in place they are not allowed to.

Good luck everyone

Last edited:

QLDUberDriver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Surely uber realises with rates so low in QLD, 25% commish, and an undeniable glut of drivers, the 'cream' is going to depart leaving the crap to do the driving.
Not a very good business model in this state...
That's why they are giving away $1000 to 3 lucky drivers :p. Considering the usual Uber vague details the 3 drivers maybe splitting that $1000 lol

QLDUberDriver

I won't be driving that night. However if I were, I would likely give the city a wide berth.
I will be but doing exactly that. People will be scrambling to try and grab surge which prob are mostly short trips. I dont want to carry any wasted riders long enough to get motion sickness.

Plus Im playing Gold lotto so I may be going home by 9pm :wink:. Its $31 mil this Sat.:smiles: Better chance of winning lotto than earning Ubers potential gross hourly rate.

QLDUberDriver

Modern-Day-Slavery

QLDUberDriver

I can't open the article but it sounds like they are reffering to the taxi cabcharge credit card fee which is currently excessive.
I understood the way it was titled on the govt website it applied to rideshare aswell.

LEGISLATIVE CHANGES (COMMENCING 2017):

• electronic payment surcharges capped at five per cent

• annual licence for all booked hire services introduced, limousine and special purpose limousine licences removed, no new perpetual taxi licences issued

operator accreditation no longer required for booked hire services

• a new compulsory third-party insurance category introduced

• opportunities for all providers of booked hire services to provide TSS services

• new security camera requirements investigated

QLDUberDriver

I understood the way it was titled on the govt website it applied to rideshare aswell.

• annual licence for all booked hire services introduced, limousine and special purpose limousine licences removed, no new perpetual taxi licences issued

• opportunities for all providers of booked hire services to provide TSS services

NEW FRAMEWORK IMPLEMENTED (FROM 5 SEPTEMBER 2016):

• ride-booking services can operate legally without a licence

• taxis retain exclusive access to rank and hail services

• ride-booking vehicles must be signed

• all drivers hold the same category of driver authorisation, a new category called BHTX (Booked Hire Taxi) will be created

• all drivers of personalised transport must wear seatbelts at all times

• fines for soliciting and touting will be doubled from $243 to $487

• maximum taxi age limits removed and limousines can continue to operate beyond age limits

• maximum fares for booked hire services (except Taxi Subsidy Scheme (TSS) and wheelchair services) removed

• itemised receipts must be provided if requested by customer

• 12-monthly vehicle inspections for all personalised transport vehicles

• taxis maintain exclusive TSS service

• wheelchair accessible incentive payment of up to $20 per TSS trip (paid by the State Government)

• fare estimate for booked hire must be provided or price agreed upfront

GPH

It's "as well" not "aswell". (Turn on spell check)

It seems to me that aside from the government making more revenue, there is in fact a relaxing of the industry rules.
That said, I think this is why Uber have priced themselves (us) so low. This will mean competition will be fierce.
The security camera requirement could be interesting.

Thing

That's what I read on the Govt site for Qld regulations. All it said was electronic payment surcharges capped at five per cent. Ill have to find the link again but a less official update was posted in this article:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...n/news-story/6c10ce58bc6edd67e1cc9ab4e24820f5

I believe that surcharge refers to the commission charged for using a credit card - not the actual fare that is charged. Some taxi's used to charge 10% extra on top of the fare for using credit/debit cards - they can only charge 5% after 1.1.17

I think the biggest upset to uber will be the new CTP class............
Yes I am thinking this will be a huge cost, currently we use class 1 ( $387 ) same as a private car registration & taxi's use class 3 ( $5449 ) :eek:

Imagine if rideshare CTP went to taxi CTP - 99% decrease in Uber cars overnight, surge 10X constantly because there is only 5 uber cars left in Brisbane :biggrin: & Uber bye bye.... unless they paid everyones CTP :cool:

QLDUberDriver

I believe that surcharge refers to the commission charged for using a credit card - not the actual fare that is charged. Some taxi's used to charge 10% extra on top of the fare for using credit/debit cards - they can only charge 5% after 1.1.17

Yes I am thinking this will be a huge cost, currently we use class 1 ( $387 ) same as a private car registration & taxi's use class 3 ( $5449 ) :eek:

Imagine if rideshare CTP went to taxi CTP - 99% decrease in Uber cars overnight, surge 10X constantly because there is only 5 uber cars left in Brisbane :biggrin: & Uber bye bye.... unless they paid everyones CTP :cool:
Surcharge is described as "an additional charge or payment", so what is the meaning of surge charges. I know what your saying but doesnt Uber also charge the rider via card. The fare is the fare but when it surges this is an extra charge to normal price.

I think its just easier getting a day job :confused:

Paul Collins

I think the biggest upset to uber will be the new CTP class............
Correct. Uber drivers should have changed to Class 4 in the past, the same as limos and hire vehicles and then updated their CTP accordingly. This cost me an extra $300pa to do.

The new classs will be about the same as an extra fee to the CTP insurance provider I suspect.

Thing

Surcharge is described as "an additional charge or payment", so what is the meaning of surge charges. I know what your saying but doesnt Uber also charge the rider via card. The fare is the fare but when it surges this is an extra charge to normal price.

I think its just easier getting a day job :confused:
You could argue it both ways I suppose, as in our payments it has the fare then the added 'surge' so that definitely could be described as an additional charge ie/ surcharge... If I was a rider & got slugged surge after midnight I would contact uber & complain stating its a surcharge & should only be a maximum of 5% :cool:

Thing

Correct. Uber drivers should have changed to Class 4 in the past, the same as limos and hire vehicles and then updated their CTP accordingly. This cost me an extra $300pa to do.

The new classs will be about the same as an extra fee to the CTP insurance provider I suspect.
I actually looked up the MAIC website back in November & then asked the insurance company (Suncorp) who I pay CTP to. They said, dunno ask DTMR whom I did send an email to & never got a reply..

Super Uber Driver

Dream on wont happen. The deal was Taxis out ridebooking in.