1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber Brisbane driver partners: are you putting yourself at risk driving for uberX?

Discussion in 'Brisbane' started by WAKE UP AUSTRALIA, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Uber Brisbane driver partners: are you putting yourself at risk driving for uberX?

Uber Brisbane continues to recruit new drivers for its uberX service. These drivers deserve fair warning as to how Uber operates, and the realities of uberX driving.

I suggest prospective drivers browse each of the Australian cities in UberPeople.Net in order to gain insight into how Uber Australia operates. I also strongly recommend you read through the relevant postings in the Community, Garage, and Information sections of the forum. I believe you will find the News section particularly informative.

Other forum members might like to leave other useful links and news articles which more fully explain the nature of Uber and the realities of uberX driving.

Perhaps I might lead by example.

Here is a link to Uber's Transportation Provider Service Agreement. I strongly suggest that people interested in learning about Uber read through this document carefully.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/voea7ngp2fyl5ed/Transportation%20Provider%20Service%20Agreement-4.pdf?dl=0

Paragraph 4 of the document states "You are an independent transportation provider who offers rideshare or P2P transportation services, which business you are authorized to conduct in the state(s) in which you operate."

As at today (September 18th, 2015), there is no state or territory in Australia where driving for uberX is a legal activity. Drivers on the system in Australia are operating an illegal taxi service. Illegal activities are not 'authorised', they are in fact prohibited.

This would seem to negate any contract that you have with Uber. If this is the case, are Uber in fact bound to honour any verbal promises made to you? Verbal reassurances from Uber Brisbane will count for little should any form of dispute arise.

Drivers, read your documentation. You are putting yourself at extreme risk, for little return. Review your Service Agreement, then seek legal advice. If you are unsure of anything, stop driving. The risks that you and all uberX drivers take are just too great. Do not trust Uber to provide you with accurate information.

I hope to update this post from time to time, informing people as to current state of play of uberX in Brisbane. I invite others to do the same. Many hands make light work.

Wake Up Australia.

Jon Whitey likes this.
  2. leadcurescancer

leadcurescancer

Driving:
    UberX
    No good posting stuff here. You need the TV and Radio stations to give it air time. The few people here are the, by and large, smarter ones and either know it and don't care or who have already stopped driving.

Jon Whitey and anOzzieUber like this.
  3. Exactly. Might be better handing this out in flyer form at the Uber office in Brisbane.

While you're there, wanna hand out Partner People info packs? Happy to pay a finders fee :D

leadcurescancer likes this.
  4. leadcurescancer

leadcurescancer

Driving:
    UberX
    Sorry, I also meant to say you are 100% right but the forum is not going to reach the right people or anywhere near enough.:rolleyes:

5. Instyle

Instyle Moderator

I know for a fact Brisbane and GC has a fair amount of drivers with no ABN or GST, even more so a large amount who have ABN and no GST

Finders fee..?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  6. leadcurescancer

leadcurescancer

Driving:
    UberX
    Boy you'd be popular with the ATO. I wish there was a way to get the word out to all these people though as much as they may deserve it.

7. anOzzieUber

anOzzieUber

Driving:
    UberX
    I could give a rats arse about drivers who are driving without an ABN or GST registration or both. Uber drivers will be on the hit list at the end of this financial year and if you're that stupid that you think you don't have to pay tax on your income or GST on your Uber fares then you deserve the reaming that you will get from the ATO.

8. Instyle

Instyle Moderator

I kind of do, it's setting people up for disaster for the people who are unknowingly doing it. For the ones that intentional feel they will get away with it I hope they dealt with promptly and those that follow the Uber attitude of don't worry we'll overturn the decision will be in for a shock.

Not to mention it waters down the pool from drivers doing the right thing (in terms of taxation)

9. leadcurescancer

leadcurescancer

Driving:
    UberX
    Yup, I may sound like a nasty piece of work but I am very sympathetic to people who are unintentionally ignorant, there are many people who really are lambs to the slaughter, had Uber done the right thing they would be GST ready. For those who do know they should be but aren't, well you will inevitably get what you deserve.

UberRidiculous likes this.
  10. Dino68

Dino68

I got an Uber tonight and I asked the Chinese driver if he was happy with the money. He said yes as Uber was paying the tax, I asked about GST, he had know idea what I was talking about. ATO are going to be busy.

Xubersoon likes this.
  11. Instyle

Instyle Moderator

LOL Thats hilarious! All the ATO has to do is get driver and income records from Uber and that'll wipe out 50% of the driver force LOL smart move Uber? LOL Not so funny Meow is it!