1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber Black without market

Discussion in 'Licensed' started by Greenjas, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Greenjas

Greenjas Member

Hi,

Ever since I became an UberX driver, I aspired to be on the Uber Black platform. I went to my PUC and asked for the information on starting my own sedan service which they told me is not as easy as I thought. The most difficult being the $12,000 limo license fee which must be handled through an attorney. In addition, I have to pay $150 for limo driver license which I can only obtain once all parking tickets have been paid. I owe about $3,000 from the time I began driving at the age of 18 years old. Uber in Philly has told me that it is not worth it as there is no market. They seem to be doing away with Uber black, have discontinued Uber select, and is pushing UberPools. I'm a law student and to really build my sedan service would require me to have to drop out and save almost all my money I make driving with Uber. I'm not sure of Uber's direction and I feel that dropping, I would regret it latter. Is getting a limo driver license even worth the cost and time if I plan on not driving for a limo company? Thanks.

Dannyboss likes this.
  2. PCH5150

PCH5150 Well-Known Member

Um, drop out of law school for Uber? I can't see that as a viable long term path.

xlr8ed, Atreyu, Dback2004 and 3 others like this.
  3. senorCRV

senorCRV Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    So part time Uber and forget the service. Meet other drivers and use it for networking as Uber is a billion dollar class action waiting to happen.

Heck, start signing drivers to represent them in any class action against Uber and when the eventual case occurs, take a contingency to allow another firm to represent your clients

4. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    With uber, the only consistent thing is that it gets worse for the drivers, every year is worse than the year before with more miles driven to make less money, I WOULD NOT try to get involved with Uber Black.

Dontmakemepullauonyou likes this.
  5. MSUGrad9902

MSUGrad9902 Well-Known Member

Obviously you've never practiced law.

PCH5150 likes this.

6. Flex

Flex Member

Out of fear of stating the obvious, he mentioned he was in law school; hence, there is no set of facts that would support that he was practicing law. That comment rings hollow. :)

7. MSUGrad9902

MSUGrad9902 Well-Known Member

Obviously I was replying to the second note in the thread that was questioning why anybody would drop out of law school to do uber.

8. Flex

Flex Member

I stand corrected based on my mistake of fact. :cool:

9. Urbanappalachian

Urbanappalachian Member

Do I need a black car to be Uber black?

10. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yes, UberBlack and UberSUV literally have to be black on black.

Stay in Law School and become an attorney that could charge $300 an hour.

Or be a Chauffeur for the smart people that did stay in Law School and became attorney's that charge $300 an hour.

S3RG10 and Dannyboss like this.
  11. Jimmy Bernat

Jimmy Bernat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    They'll make some acceptations on the interior , my car has a two tone brown/ black leather and when I got the inspection done I asked about UberBlack / SUV specifically if my interior was okay and they said yes that they would allow my interior color on UberBlack , I asked about the Grey interior in my BMW and was told they wouldn't allow that though . So I guess it's a discretion but if I was buying a car to do UberBlack I'd just make sure it's 100% acceptable

If I were the OP I would not worry about doing Uber Black maybe just upgrade to UberXL & Select and stay in law school . I've always done Select but when I added XL and Select together it's really made a huge difference in limiting my downtime without having to accept UberX rides . I'm also noticing an increase in my pre arranged rides since buying a XL/Select vehicle .

12. Urbanappalachian

Urbanappalachian Member

I might be signing up for Uber Black. It's the only "step up" available for me. I was informed I need to get my for-hire plate though. My car is a 2015 Mazda 3 black on black.

13. Jimmy Bernat

Jimmy Bernat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    That's a nice car but it's not going to qualify for UberBlack sorry . The absolute minimum is a C-class Benz or 3 series BMW (and in some markets you gotta have the E class or 5 series)