Uber Black/SUV Insurance

Uberbrent

Considering venturing off on my own and continue to do Black and SUV. Since Uber support does not have the expertise to handle certain questions by their own admission, I now come to the forum before I corner one of the limo drivers and offer them lunch to answer questions. Where do you shop for the CORRECT insurance? I thought I had a lead with Geico who offered commercial insurance for $3100 per year, but when I got them on the phone they said it was not for Uber Black/SUV but covered the "gap" insurance and everything else for X/XL/select. I told them that Uber covered everything else for X drivers and why would anyone purchase that overpriced policy. Their response was that I would have lower deductibles than the free insurance with Uber. I explained that I wasn't planning on needing to find that out, but I'm sure it wasn't $3100 deductible.

So. If you are a current Uber Black/SUV driver, who is your insurer? I might as well find out now if I need yet another permit from the city since support was unable to assist.

Thanks in advance.

Bad uber pro

$3100 per year sounds reasonable... When you call an insurance company, you never tell them you gonna drive for Uber because from experience they all say we don't insure uber drivers. But they would do it if you tell them that you have your own limo company. City of Dallas will ask you to provide a business file if you wanna create your own limo company which is gonna take you a while to get together. I would highly suggest to wait with this whole venture until after the summer because it's kind of slow and you will average 2-4 uber black calls during week days if you're lucky( assuming you're online at least 10 hours a day) And I don't know if that would justify paying about 300 a month commercial insurance. You must set money aside as these companies are going to ask you to put down at least 2 months advance payment so about $600 sounds right. Good luck with your new hobby :smiles:

BlackSUV214

Considering venturing off on my own and continue to do Black and SUV. Since Uber support does not have the expertise to handle certain questions by their own admission, I now come to the forum before I corner one of the limo drivers and offer them lunch to answer questions. Where do you shop for the CORRECT insurance? I thought I had a lead with Geico who offered commercial insurance for $3100 per year, but when I got them on the phone they said it was not for Uber Black/SUV but covered the "gap" insurance and everything else for X/XL/select. I told them that Uber covered everything else for X drivers and why would anyone purchase that overpriced policy. Their response was that I would have lower deductibles than the free insurance with Uber. I explained that I wasn't planning on needing to find that out, but I'm sure it wasn't $3100 deductible.

So. If you are a current Uber Black/SUV driver, who is your insurer? I might as well find out now if I need yet another permit from the city since support was unable to assist.

Thanks in advance.
Progressive now offers commercial insurance. I've got a million dollars in coverage and runs close to $4000 per year. Or about $400 a month. Ubers a losing deal. I split off on my own this summer and if you do decide to do that, know in advance that Uber will require you to drive your expensive SUV (which mine only gets 13 mikes to the gallon) to pick up ALL fates from X, XL, Select, Black, Black SUV. And I'll tell you from firsthand experience if someone sees you in their area they're going to ping for the cheapest rides before they'll ping for a black ride. Generally people will only ping the higher tiered services if no other cheaper alternative is available.

BlackSUV214

I refuse to pick up and drive people around for 85 cents a mile before Uber commissions, or my own expenses. I'm no longer picking up and driving for Uber. I refuse to put my nice ride thru the abuse people inflict on my car for less than peanuts. My accounts still active but I'm getting ready to close it. It just isn't worth 4 or more @@@@@@s in my car stepping on my seats, demanding auxiliary cables (and then taking it with them), or providing water for 4 to 6 people on a ten dollars or less ride.

Dallas007

What is the 'Black Car' service at Love Field that has a stand and one spot between the taxi curb and the Transportation Network curb... said '$29 to Downtown Dallas' ... is this for Uber, independents or a separate service all together? (if a regular uber / lyft gets near, they shoo like flies are on their picnic lunch :smiles: )

Separately, agree about the rates; i have an older Yukon XL so have reached the point of ignoring non XL / Plus pings... both are ramping up their messaging about what a low acceptance rate i have ; and Lyft now embeds a message in the pings... e.g. you better take this one :smiles:

BlackSUV214

What is the 'Black Car' service at Love Field that has a stand and one spot between the taxi curb and the Transportation Network curb... said '$29 to Downtown Dallas' ... is this for Uber, independents or a separate service all together? (if a regular uber / lyft gets near, they shoo like flies are on their picnic lunch :smiles: )

Separately, agree about the rates; i have an older Yukon XL so have reached the point of ignoring non XL / Plus pings... both are ramping up their messaging about what a low acceptance rate i have ; and Lyft now embeds a message in the pings... e.g. you better take this one :smiles:
I haven't seen the $29.00 sign but then again I don't hang around Love Field either. Rides are always too short and now that Uber expects me to pick up ALL calls, all I get now are crap X or XL rides all day long. I never get any black rides anymore and rarely if ever, select ones.

KMANDERSON

Progressive now offers commercial insurance. I've got a million dollars in coverage and runs close to $4000 per year. Or about $400 a month. Ubers a losing deal. I split off on my own this summer and if you do decide to do that, know in advance that Uber will require you to drive your expensive SUV (which mine only gets 13 mikes to the gallon) to pick up ALL fates from X, XL, Select, Black, Black SUV. And I'll tell you from firsthand experience if someone sees you in their area they're going to ping for the cheapest rides before they'll ping for a black ride. Generally people will only ping the higher tiered services if no other cheaper alternative is available.
Uber separating the fares now.You can chose what platform you want to drive on.But regardless of that you can't get deactivated for low acceptance.

Cary Grant

If you need commercial insurance, then you need a commercial insurance broker. That's not an online shopping deal you find with Google or Bing. Find a local agent, with an established agency, that belongs to the "Big I" or Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America. The big ones are not branded, so it won't have the name of a carrier on the door.

Shop agents, find one you like, who answers their phone and returns calls (this is VITAL). Let them shop the market for you. There's more than one game in town, and they compete. Some large agencies may have "packages" designed specifically for limos and pay-for-hire transportation that no other broker can get (this stuff is negotiated between large commercial agencies and the insurance carriers).

Uberbrent

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would be intersted in the pricing. Progressive offers insurance for Uber black/SUV as well as insurance for operating a limo company in the DFW region.

fxcruiser

I refuse to pick up and drive people around for 85 cents a mile before Uber commissions, or my own expenses. I'm no longer picking up and driving for Uber. I refuse to put my nice ride thru the abuse people inflict on my car for less than peanuts. My accounts still active but I'm getting ready to close it. It just isn't worth 4 or more ******s in my car stepping on my seats, demanding auxiliary cables (and then taking it with them), or providing water for 4 to 6 people on a ten dollars or less ride.
HALLA-LOU- IA!! Someone else gets it!! PRO-MOTE-YOU! I just received (12 minutes ago) 11 more transfer reservations from one of my Regulars...Pharm Exec...CC on file...EASY MONEY! Stick with the scrUbe to start your Biz!....Then Run! My base rate is$2/mile and my Peeps tip 20% (or more) with a Square reader. Get a grip Kids....YOU can do it....EFF scrUber!

steveK2016

Is Dallas accepting new Black/SUV drivers? Atlanta had been locked out for at least the last year, even longer....

BlackSUV214

Bullshit. There are over 26,000 Uber and Lyft drivers in the metroplex now. And the majority of them are Uber X drivers. You won't make any money in this market driving for Uber or Lyft with a black car/limo permits. This year my average weekly earnings are anywhere from abou $49.00 to about $100.00 if that on black car services with Uber. A few others I know are doing (if they're lucky) $300-400.00 weekly. I also know a few black car drivers that have resorted to accepting Uber X, and XL pings.

Other bad thing about being a black car driver and accepting anything from Select down, is if you get a ride to DFW , Uber fuqs you by only giving you $2.00 for the entry toll to the airport, instead of $4.43 that that DFW actually charges us. Then you have to argue with the inepts in India or whatever thirld world country telling you that the toll was correctly applied. It is applied correctly if we're on a black car request. Stupid.

tnkvick

Check the rider app at anytime, twice the blk than x. I'm not going to disagree on your statement.. but there are always more blk on map than other platforms except maybe select, but that's for another thread lol

dirtylee

Check the rider app at anytime, twice the blk than x. I'm not going to disagree on your statement.. but there are always more blk on map than other platforms except maybe select, but that's for another thread lol
The real telling one is black/suv & select being the same on the rider app.

The highest consistent weekly payouts I see are guys slinging around in a hybrid Camry or that one guy driving a diesel Mercedes GLE 350.