Uber Black Chicago

Maki

I am currently an uber driver in Chicago and thinking of investing in a new car to upgrade to uber black. To all my current uber black drivers is it worth the investment and once upgrade are black car riders the only riders you get?

Maki

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure about black but the best advice seems to be: never buy a car when the primary reason is driving Uber.
Ok, I've been hearing crazy stories like uber black drivers make over 100k. So I thought it was worth inquiring about.

pizza guy

Ok, I've been hearing crazy stories like uber black drivers make over 100k. So I thought it was worth inquiring about.
Uber drivers are like fisherman, reduce the size by certain percent. Keep you eyes open for cars that qualify. If you take your time and find a good low cost vehicle at a good price then go for it. Just be careful about taking on debt for the purchase.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

I am currently an uber driver in Chicago and thinking of investing in a new car to upgrade to uber black. To all my current uber black drivers is it worth the investment and once upgrade are black car riders the only riders you get?
In the City, Uber Black cars must be licensed livery. This trade is regulated by the BACP. You can find detailed information on the City's website and on the Uber Chicago Partners website. It's a substantial investment so one would benefit from extensive due diligence before pulling the trigger on a $50k auto. Good luck!

chrisbk88

Well they must be making some type of good money to be driving those expensive ass brand new V8s. I wish I would use a damn 2015 surburban or Tahoe for uber. Those @@@@ers start at 40k

Chicago-uber

If you have patience waiting for 2 hours between pings, go for it.

But in all honesty, if you don't have personal clients and good relationships with other limo companies for some farm out work.. then stay away from uber black.

Oh, and 1 more thing. Get an suv, you will get more jobs. And if you do get suv, get a long wheel version, no Tahoe crap.

signfromthesky

Guys, uber black driver here from DC. Planning to move to Chicago. Do you know anyone who rents plates and insurance so I can skip at least at the very beginning to open my own company like in DC, etc?

quesie

I don't advise doing that unless you're planning on using it as a backup to working for a limo company. Uber black requires city plates (car no more than 5 years old), and commercial insurance (at least $260 a month). You will never get enough Black trips to cover the cost of the car, insurance, and plates while giving you a decent income.
Post automatically merged:

Guys, uber black driver here from DC. Planning to move to Chicago. Do you know anyone who rents plates and insurance so I can skip at least at the very beginning to open my own company like in DC, etc?
You can't rent plates or insurance if you plan on driving in Chicago unless you lease from a fleet owner. Chicago also requires a chauffeur license with those plates.

signfromthesky

I don't advise doing that unless you're planning on using it as a backup to working for a limo company. Uber black requires city plates (car no more than 5 years old), and commercial insurance (at least $260 a month). You will never get enough Black trips to cover the cost of the car, insurance, and plates while giving you a decent income.

You can't rent plates or insurance if you plan on driving in Chicago unless you lease from a fleet owner. Chicago also requires a chauffeur license with those plates.
Lease plates, that was what I've meant. I mean compared to DC, all the expenses are at least 50% less. I have a 2018 Suburban and honestly would feel bad to sell it. Where does one get a chauffeur license?

quesie

Well they must be making some type of good money to be driving those expensive ass brand new V8s. I wish I would use a damn 2015 surburban or Tahoe for uber. Those @@@@ers start at 40k
That ARE making money, just not with Uber. Those drivers work for livery companies and maybe do Uber to fill in.

Lease plates, that was what I've meant. I mean compared to DC, all the expenses are at least 50% less. I have a 2018 Suburban and honestly would feel bad to sell it. Where does one get a chauffeur license?
You can't lease plates in Chicago. Uber black requires city (green) livery plates, commercial insurance, the driver takes the city driver course and passes the test for the hard card. There's no such thing as moving here one day and starting work the next day...not with black.

WindyCityAnt

You will be taking surge X rides in NO time. Owning a $22,000 car is bad enough. Not even allowed “comfort”.

While my ride gets compliments everyday. Its amazing!

Now wonder people use X or “Economy” platform.