1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber bans drivers from broadcasting recordings of riders

Discussion in 'News' started by BurgerTiime, Nov 8, 2018.

1. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    I called this: https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/uber-bans-drivers-from-broadcasting-recordings-of-riders-months-after/article_febb3b4f-cedd-59ca-813a-8a34ba617275.amp.html
    [​IMG]
    A group of men piled into an Uber SUV late last month. They started complaining about work and their bosses. They had no idea a camera was rolling, and didn't realize their candid conversations would soon be posted online.

This time it happened in Phoenix, and the men recorded without their consent were professional athletes, hockey players for the Ottawa Senators.

A dashcam video of the players badmouthing their coaching staff during the ride quickly spread online this week. And though it happened some 1,400 miles from St. Louis, the story highlights what Uber has changed after a similar story broke in the St. Louis Post-Dispatchthis summer.

In July, the paper reported that Jason Gargac, a driver with ride-hailing apps Uber and Lyft, streamed some 700 of his rides live online without his passengers' consent. Gargac exposed addresses, names and personal conversations about his customers' bosses, spouses and children, all while an online audience watched on the website Twitch and commented in real time. Some viewers focused their comments on female riders and their bodies, and sometimes Gargac joined in.

After Gargac was exposed, an Uber spokesman told the Post-Dispatch that the company would examine its policies, which at the time did not specifically ban the practice. On Wednesday, a spokesman said the company has changed its official guidelines for drivers recording passengers.

An earlier policy stated only that drivers could record rides for safety, but should follow local privacy laws. The new guideline adds: "Broadcasting a person's image, audio or video recording is a violation of (Uber's) terms and may result in loss of account access."

The company also added that drivers are not allowed to use customers' personal data for any reason other than transportation, and that disrespectful or unsafe conduct can result in revocation of their access. The new policy went into effect at the end of September, a spokesman said.

The policy does not prevent drivers from continuing to use cameras for security purposes.

An Uber spokesman said the company did not send alerts to all drivers about the change to the policy, but posted the change to the driver guidelines online.

This week, the controversy over the hockey players' ride put Uber's new rules to the test.

The video, which appears to have been taken by a driver using a dashcam, was posted online on both YouTube and Twitter, according to media reports. The original video has been removed, but it was copied and widely re-posted by social media users and some media outlets.
    [​IMG]
    The footage from Oct. 29 quickly gained attention in sports and Canadian mediafor the players' comments, including center Matt Duchene griping about team meetings.

"We don't change anything, ever," he said. "So why do we even have a meeting? I haven't paid attention in three weeks."

The players released a statement after the video began to spread online, and apologized to their coach.

"Our private conversation was recorded without our knowledge or consent," the statement said.

Uber's public response to the recording stands in contrast to how the company initially handled Gargac's livestreams around St. Louis.

Customers who learned they were being recorded had complained to the company. Some got $5 credits, but Gargac continued to work for Uber. When the Post-Dispatch first contacted Uber with questions about Gargac's actions, the company released a prepared response simply noting the recording appeared to be legal in Missouri.

"Driver partners are responsible for complying with the law when providing trips, including privacy laws,” an Uber spokesman wrote in an initial statement. “Recording passengers without their consent is illegal in some states, but not Missouri.”

The company ignored follow-up questions over the course of that week. It wasn't until the day after the story was published online that the company removed Gargac and condemned his actions as a violation of company policies. Uber did not ban livestreaming or recording of passengers without their consent at that time. Instead, the company cited a part of its policies that prohibits inappropriate or disrespectful behavior by drivers, including comments on appearance or sexual remarks.

The reaction to the video of the hockey players in Arizona stands in contrast. Shortly after the video began to circulate, Rob Khazzam, general manager of Uber Canada, posted a message to Twitter saying that the recording was a clear violation of Uber's policies.

"Filming or recording passengers without their consent is totally unacceptable and if reported / detected we will investigate and take action to preserve our communities privacy and integrity," Khazzam posted. "In this specific case, we made efforts to have the video taken down."

An Uber spokesman confirmed Wednesday that the driver in the Phoenix recording has been removed from Uber.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    YukonDew, Ziplock, Z129 and 3 others like this.
  2. SurgeMasterMN

SurgeMasterMN

I personally do not like cameras inside the vehicle as I believe in privacy between the rider and the driver. But I also believe in the rights of drivers that do want to record for the reasons they believe.

Rideshare companies don’t own our vehicles or dashcams. Lawsuit in the making. If they were our official Employers and owned the vehicle then they have an argument.

Shankster, HotUberMess and tohunt4me like this.
  3. The Driver who posted Travis should be banned also.

Cableguynoe and Jay Dean like this.
  4. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    They are protecting the client and their business from privacy and lawsuits. You are using their platform. This is a very happy medium in which you are still allowed to use a camera for various reasons but not allowed to post online for all to see. If passengers cross the line, if you’re in a accident, if too many riders pile in, you have evidence. Just don’t try and ruin other people’s lives in the process buy sharing a YouTube video. It’s totally unnecessary.

5. SurgeMasterMN

SurgeMasterMN

I feel like he should get a lifetime achievement award from all drivers cause he was the one that stood up against Goliath and dropped Travis. If every driver donated a $1.00 to him standing up for all of us he could retire.

Cary Grant, FaaaUber and Ms.Doe like this.
  6. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Moderator

Yup. Ya done did call it Burger.

I've avoided watching the vids or even reading about it thinking it gossip and none of my business. I hope it has not hurt their futures. Not like you can do that stuff for 20 and a gold watch.

7. Travis never had to engage him.
    He could have walked off.

Travis only mistake was trying to talk to him man to man.

I have Respect for Travis for doing that.

Anyone else . . .probably would have silently walked off. And Rightfully terminated the driver.

Clients DESERVE a level of privacy !
    Including Uber Corporate Clients !

8. SurgeMasterMN

SurgeMasterMN

I think Uber is protecting themselves... Uber has been traditionally been self serving. Videos uploaded is bad for business in their eyes. As mentioned I don’t have a cam because I like the privacy factor and if something does happen and it isn’t on video oh well there are plenty of ways to make money. I would rather have riders be themselves and not worry about what they are saying or doing on camera.

On the flipside it would be interesting to see what would happen if a case went to court of a driver recording, posting online and getting deactivated and how they would rule. I guess we will see if someone decides to test the system.

There is only one ride I wish I had on tape. It would have been off the scales scandalous for the rider. I keep that one close to my vest as a once in a lifetime ride.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  9. ANY " Service" Industry has a non disclosure standard.

SurgeMasterMN likes this.
  10. Z129

Z129 Moderator

I read in an article that Travis paid that driver $200k.

tohunt4me, Danny3xd and SurgeMasterMN like this.
  11. SurgeMasterMN

SurgeMasterMN

Thats was a nice haul for dude... At least he was able to pay off his fleet.

Danny3xd and Z129 like this.
  12. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Moderator

Do you use a strictly road one? I'm of the opinion they are prudent in and out but just the forward one has made me feel more relaxed knowing there's a witness. Really worth a few bucks or there are apps that allow using an' old cell phone.

Does make our gig that much more enjoyable. Just MVHO and sorry for the off topic.

Z129 and SurgeMasterMN like this.
  13. Z129

Z129 Moderator

It seems like up until that point in time Travis thought the drivers liked him. When Travis got booted out the board gave us tips and the 180 days of change thing as if drivers were going to quit because Travis was not CEO.

SurgeMasterMN and Danny3xd like this.
  14. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Moderator

Important topic and I am sidtracking. Feel free to ignore

Z129 likes this.
  15. SurgeMasterMN

SurgeMasterMN

Yeah the driver was like Paul Revere. He may have been one that kicked the tipping in quicker for all of us.

New2This, Danny3xd and Z129 like this.
  16. Z129

Z129 Moderator

I also don't think that Travis came across as particularly bad in that video.

As long as Uber does not ban the use of dashcams I have no problem not sharing videos. To me the dashcam is to protect me from those he said/she said scenarios. Like I've said recently, I would not do this job without a dashcam or equivalent.

Bpr2, FaaaUber, New2This and 3 others like this.
  17. PioneerXi

PioneerXi

Consider.

Uber forbids the publication of dash cam video.
    Female passenger makes false complaint of sexual harassment.
    Uber deactivates driver without consulting driver.
    Driver pulls out video showing paxhole and no occurrence of incident.

There’s no apology or restitution to the driver. Just the usual “policy requires deactivation while we investigate.”

The more controls Uber places on independent contractors, the more drivers begin to look like employees.

18. SurgeMasterMN

SurgeMasterMN

Well said.....

Z129 likes this.
  19. Uber's Guber

Uber's Guber

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm not even sure why this video went viral. I didn't see any boobs. Did anybody see boobs?

20. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    It allows drivers to use video cameras, dash cameras and other recording devices for security purposes — but not to broadcast them.

“Broadcasting a person’s image, audio, or video recording is a violation of these terms and may result in loss of account access,” the guideline states.
    *This also means no live streaming! So don’t even have a sheet ready asking for consent. Because even if they do consent, they will just say they were intoxicated and you cannot consent if one is intoxicated.
    This will also lay to rest those fake YouTubers posting lambo pickups. We’ll it’s faked beyond a doubt now.

Rakos, dauction, tohunt4me and 2 others like this.