1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber ATM Cash for Tip Scam

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Dan2miletripguy, Nov 28, 2018.

1. crowuber

crowuber

At any given time I have pepper spray under my thigh ready to incapacitate any attacking pax after which I'll have my ruger 9 mm pointed at their face as they try to recover.
    There were 2 instances where I thought I was going to be killed in the beginning of my uber history; I refuse to experience that feeling again without a plan and the means to execute my plan.

Fargle likes this.
  2. Pepper spray in an enclosed space? Might want to reconsider.

Christinebitg likes this.
  3. crowuber

crowuber

not too worried about, need a distraction as I ready the firearm. If I get some on me that's ok.

4. Fargle

Fargle

Driving:
    UberX
    I used "Sabre Red" pepper gel in my car a few months ago to repel a drunken belligerent idiot. There was no overspray or splashing at all. There were no residual vapors or smell.

5. Jumpin Jim

Jumpin Jim

Kind of off topic, but I don’t think Dysan ever made 3.25” diskettes, did they?

6. Heh... I never looked up close and assumed that was a 5-1/4" floppy... but... the notch is in the wrong place and the center hub is all wrong to be a 5-1/4" floppy. I had never seen that 3-1/4" disk format.

7. Ardery

Ardery

this isn't a scam. this is a troll posting out of boredom. Im a 2 yearn driver. nobody has ever pulled this scam on me.

8. Scott.Sul

Scott.Sul

I kinda like this...but only during a surge (although not in the BS surge Charlotte market). I only carry an expired credit card in my Uber wallet (no working cards) and my gas card is in my console. I guess I could add a non-working debit card to that mix so I can say I tried.

Jumpin Jim, Rakos and MadTownUberD like this.
  9. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    On my very first day driving, on my third trip that day, I got both a cash tip AND an in-app tip, on the same trip. Not a third party requested trip.

It was a couple of middle aged women. I've assumed they came from the same person, but it might have been one from each of them. The in-app tip showed up a while later, and I think it was input after the cash tip, which wasn't done secretively.

Christine

Rakos likes this.
  10. Lee239

Lee239

I would tell them I have no money in my bank account and shut them up.

Another Uber Driver likes this.
  11. The scam may not have been pulled on you, but two others did post that something similar happened to them.

Immoralized and Rakos like this.
  12. Gilby

Gilby

Driving:
    UberX
    You can also point out that if you give them cash and they give you a tip, the tip is taxable income.

Christinebitg likes this.
  13. Pepper gel isn't the same as spray in this case - its more appropriate. You generally don't have to worry about the cloud effect. No way to use the spray in a car and not inadvertently inhale it or get it in your eyes.

14. scott9002ca

scott9002ca

Driving:
    UberX
    Funny that no one has mentioned the effect of tax. Suppose for a brief second this was a legitimate request; If you exchange your 20$ cash for 20$ in app tip, when tax season rolls around, Uncle Sam my American friends, and Justin Trudeau for my Canadian colleagues, the government counts tips as income, and you would be taxed on it, hence losing money.

FLKeys, Immoralized and KD_LA like this.
  15. That proves it's a scam... a government scam to collect more taxes! :D

16. Zebonkey

Zebonkey

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Why lie?
    They will one-star you anyway, because they know, you're full of crap.
    So take pleasure of saying hell, no, I'm not giving you a dime, beat it.

MadTownUberD and KenLV like this.
  17. Gilby

Gilby

Driving:
    UberX
    I just did, two posts above.

scott9002ca likes this.
  18. THE MAN!

THE MAN!

Haven't you ever seen Uber Poop before?

19. UberLaLa

UberLaLa

You need to watch this video.

20. Fargle

Fargle

Driving:
    UberX
    Dysan designed that 3.25" diskette to fill the requirement of a diskette that can fit into a shirt pocket. That design and a handful of others died out after the Macintosh came out using Sony's 3.5" design.

Kurt Halfyard likes this.