• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber ATM Cash for Tip Scam

crowuber

At any given time I have pepper spray under my thigh ready to incapacitate any attacking pax after which I'll have my ruger 9 mm pointed at their face as they try to recover.
There were 2 instances where I thought I was going to be killed in the beginning of my uber history; I refuse to experience that feeling again without a plan and the means to execute my plan.

NorCalPhil

At any given time I have pepper spray under my thigh ready to incapacitate any attacking pax after which I'll have my ruger 9 mm pointed at their face as they try to recover.
There were 2 instances where I thought I was going to be killed in the beginning of my uber history; I refuse to experience that feeling again without a plan and the means to execute my plan.
Pepper spray in an enclosed space? Might want to reconsider.

Jumpin Jim

I used "Sabre Red" pepper gel in my car a few months ago to repel a drunken belligerent idiot. There was no overspray or splashing at all. There were no residual vapors or smell.
Kind of off topic, but I don’t think Dysan ever made 3.25” diskettes, did they?

KD_LA

Author
Kind of off topic, but I don’t think Dysan ever made 3.25” diskettes, did they?
Heh... I never looked up close and assumed that was a 5-1/4" floppy... but... the notch is in the wrong place and the center hub is all wrong to be a 5-1/4" floppy. I had never seen that 3-1/4" disk format.

Ardery

this isn't a scam. this is a troll posting out of boredom. Im a 2 yearn driver. nobody has ever pulled this scam on me.

Scott.Sul

...you could Long haul them all over the city by pretending that your card doesn't work in every ATM you try. In other words turn the scam back on them.
I kinda like this...but only during a surge (although not in the BS surge Charlotte market). I only carry an expired credit card in my Uber wallet (no working cards) and my gas card is in my console. I guess I could add a non-working debit card to that mix so I can say I tried.

Christinebitg

on a couple of occasions I've actually gotten tipped in cash and in app!
On my very first day driving, on my third trip that day, I got both a cash tip AND an in-app tip, on the same trip. Not a third party requested trip.

It was a couple of middle aged women. I've assumed they came from the same person, but it might have been one from each of them. The in-app tip showed up a while later, and I think it was input after the cash tip, which wasn't done secretively.

Christine

Lee239

I read on one of the threads how a pax tried to get the driver to give them cash and the pax would give them money via a huge tip in the app. I picked up a really shady fellow today named 'Brandon' in South Dallas. He gets in and sez 'Yeah so I kinda got a favor to ask you man'. He said he lost his wallet and has no money and needs a couple of hundred dollars for an emergency. He wants me to go to an ATM and hook him up and in return he will give me that plus $100 more in the app. Firstly, I learned from UP that this is a common scam. Secondly, I learned from UP that Fuber limits the amount of tip a pax can give us. I don't know that I would have gone for this offer but I might have in order to score a quick $100. It might not have occurred to me that a credit card on file with Uber might not be any good. So thanks. I luv u all. :smiles:
I would tell them I have no money in my bank account and shut them up.

NorCalPhil

I used "Sabre Red" pepper gel in my car a few months ago to repel a drunken belligerent idiot. There was no overspray or splashing at all. There were no residual vapors or smell.
Pepper gel isn't the same as spray in this case - its more appropriate. You generally don't have to worry about the cloud effect. No way to use the spray in a car and not inadvertently inhale it or get it in your eyes.

scott9002ca

Funny that no one has mentioned the effect of tax. Suppose for a brief second this was a legitimate request; If you exchange your 20$ cash for 20$ in app tip, when tax season rolls around, Uncle Sam my American friends, and Justin Trudeau for my Canadian colleagues, the government counts tips as income, and you would be taxed on it, hence losing money.

KD_LA

Author
Funny that no one has mentioned the effect of tax. Suppose for a brief second this was a legitimate request; If you exchange your 20$ cash for 20$ in app tip, when tax season rolls around, Uncle Sam my American friends, and Justin Trudeau for my Canadian colleagues, the government counts tips as income, and you would be taxed on it, hence losing money.
That proves it's a scam... a government scam to collect more taxes! :biggrin:

Fargle

Heh... I never looked up close and assumed that was a 5-1/4" floppy... but... the notch is in the wrong place and the center hub is all wrong to be a 5-1/4" floppy. I had never seen that 3-1/4" disk format.
Dysan designed that 3.25" diskette to fill the requirement of a diskette that can fit into a shirt pocket. That design and a handful of others died out after the Macintosh came out using Sony's 3.5" design.