1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber ATM Cash for Tip Scam

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Dan2miletripguy, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Dan2miletripguy

Dan2miletripguy

Driving:
    UberX
    I read on one of the threads how a pax tried to get the driver to give them cash and the pax would give them money via a huge tip in the app. I picked up a really shady fellow today named 'Brandon' in South Dallas. He gets in and sez 'Yeah so I kinda got a favor to ask you man'. He said he lost his wallet and has no money and needs a couple of hundred dollars for an emergency. He wants me to go to an ATM and hook him up and in return he will give me that plus $100 more in the app. Firstly, I learned from UP that this is a common scam. Secondly, I learned from UP that Fuber limits the amount of tip a pax can give us. I don't know that I would have gone for this offer but I might have in order to score a quick $100. It might not have occurred to me that a credit card on file with Uber might not be any good. So thanks. I luv u all. :)

2. How did you end up turning it down? I've had it happen twice, the first time I called the guy out on the scam and he jumped out of my car at a stoplight. The second time, the guy was much larger and not someone I wanted to make upset, so I claimed poverty and told the guy I didn't have any money in the bank - hell that's why I'm doing rideshare. I'll do the same next time should it occur.

I reported both to Uber. Aside from a 'thanks for reporting' by support, I don't know if anything happened to the riders.

3. Dan2miletripguy

Dan2miletripguy

Driving:
    UberX
    I gently said 'No man.... I can't do that.' So he asked again and I said 'Sorry but I can't do it.' He sat there for a few seconds and started messing with his phone and there was a sort of pause like he was considering going into a rage or doing something crazy. I was ready for anything....I workout and always have so I am built like a truck lolz sorta. I wasn't afraid but I thought maybe something serious was about to occur. He said 'ok whatever' and got out and didn't even slam the door.

Also..... this was really annoying cuz he was a Ping as a result of me going into Destination mode so he jacked that up. lol

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  4. “The second time, the guy was much larger and not someone I wanted to make upset, so I claimed poverty and told the guy I didn't have any money in the bank - hell that's why I'm doing ride share”

Very good: You can think on your feet and trust your gut

Stimpy would be proud

[​IMG]

5. Fargle

Fargle

Driving:
    UberX
    WTH is in his mouth?

cangold, Rakos, jgiun1 and 1 other person like this.
  6. I hope it’s a Baby Ruth bar

cangold, Rakos and jgiun1 like this.
  7. Merc7186

Merc7186

Driving:
    UberXL
    I had a guy begging me for $8, so he could buy beer and he would tip me in the app.

The problem was that he didnt order the ride and Im not an idiot.

8. I always ask if they want cash back at the end of each ride.
    It's really helped improve my ratings

9. crowuber

crowuber

I kinda feel like these drivers deserved to get their money taken from them. If they'll fall for that, they may, in fact, fall for anything!

10. DexNex

DexNex

11. And another thing to worry about is turning down such an offer, not knowing how the pax will react/retaliate.

12. Zebonkey

Zebonkey

Driving:
    UberSUV
    This is something I cannot care less about.
    No. Why not? Because no.
    Do you have water? - No.
    Can I smoke in your car? - No.
    Can I puke in this? - No.
    Why? - Because **** U!

Learn to say "no" without any explanation and apology.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2018
  13. I was referring to passengers with violent reactions, nothing to do with saying "no" to any of the aforementioned fun activities. o_O

14. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    "No problem sir. Please come with me to the ATM; it's against Uber policy (for insurance reasons) for me to leave an unattended passenger in my vehicle."

As soon as they get out of the car (hopefully on the other side from you), lock the doors. Run towards many people / the gas station attendant. Call the police. Keep firearm holstered unless you are in immediate danger.

Or here's another one:. Say you need to step out of the car to call your bank's 24-hour customer service line since you've forgotten your PIN. Call 911 instead.

melusine3, drive4lyft69 and Rakos like this.
  15. Did you complete the ride for the ghost of his shady a$$? Gotta make a living right and sounds like he didn't give you any alternative instructions either.

I would probably have said I never carry a wallet when I drive for Uber makes not getting robbed easier that way,but the poverty thing sounds like it would work just as well.

Yeah you're never getting a tip from third party ordered rides, least I haven't. I don't take those any more those are all rider no shows because the rider on the account doesn't show unless it's a good fare then I'll take it probably. That's a security risk taking those riders.

16. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Actually the truth may be the simplest:. For me, I don't carry a debit card anyway, and if I have a way to get cash using my credit card I'm not sure how to even do that apart from asking the cashier for cash back (from a purchase).

Rakos likes this.
  17. Jumpin Jim

Jumpin Jim

You must have raised a couple of teenagers.

18. Best thing to do if concerned about that is say something like
    "wish I could man. But I have no money right now. "

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    melusine3, Scott.Sul and KD_LA like this.
  19. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    If you're not concerned about the scammer getting mad and attacking you in the car, you could Long haul them all over the city by pretending that your card doesn't work in every ATM you try. In other words turn the scam back on them.

20. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust

I told a pax who was a Nigerian Prince that I never have more than $10 in my bank account because I’m a full time Uber Driver with six kids.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018