1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber Assist

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by Ubergirlzz, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Ubergirlzz

Ubergirlzz Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    So, I had this older dude yesterday that was in a wheelchair that I picked up at a medical facility yesterday, and since I'm part of Uber Assist, I was matched up with him. Basically, Uber Assist supposedly pays you more. Anyway, I got out, opened the front door (he wanted to sit up front with me, more room), and he told me he had had surgery on his foot, and that's why he was in the wheelchair. I folded it up and placed it into the trunk.

I then proceeded to start the trip and I see we were going to Alhambra (near LA) -- yay -- lots of miles so I'm thinking this will be a nice fare. Anyway, about 5 miles before the end of the destination, he tells me "I want to go eat. Can you drop me off at this food joint?" Um, yeah. What am I supposed to say, "no?" So I get his wheelchair and help him into it and leave him at the restaurant. I assumed he'd get another Uber Assist on his 5 mile ride home.

When you check the fare for Uber Assist, it's supposed to state "Uber Assist". Well, guess what? It was UberX! I did all that work for nothing. And to boot, he shorted my fare by 5 miles. Ugh.

iUBERdc, Whitewecca and tohunt4me like this.
  2. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

I'm not Uber assist and I get wheelchairs regularly.

3. Ubergirlzz

Driving:
    UberX
    Interesting. I thought wheelchair users were supposed to request Uber Assist?

tohunt4me likes this.
  4. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

If assist paid more,I would try to get a van with a lift. Then I could handle motorized wheel chairs.
    Oddly enough,the cheapest lift vehicles are 16 passenger buses at auction. Some can hold up to 5 motorized chairs with safety tie downs. They qualify as XL vehicles,and the turbo diesels get 20 mpg,better than the vans & mini vans. Also I can run up to 16 passenger on my class D chauffer lisence,without upgrades. You might even be able to run up to 16 passenger on a normal drivers lisence.
    I already have class D chauffer,C.N.A.,& E.M.T. -B, but Uber wants to pay x rates.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Ubergirlzz likes this.
  5. Soullust

Soullust Member

Here in LA I've gotten a few wheelchair pax and not opt in for Uber assist, but always has been foldable chairs though

6. Uberoninphoenix

Uberoninphoenix New Member

Ubeassist is not more money.

7. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    nope. According to the Americans with Disability Act, you have to take them regardless and can not charge them more money unless there is a regular fee for loading of bags ect. IE if you charge $1.00 per suitcase you can charge $1.00 to load a wheelchair.

UberAssist is just a bunch of BS to show that uber is trying to work better with people with disabilities, in reality there is nothing that uberAssist can do that any uberX can't do.

To be honest, you will get people who you would think would use uber assist instead using X because they will get picked up faster.

From what i can figure, it's the same rate and uberassist drivers have watched a few more online videos.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  8. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Well-Known Member

9. I.P.Daily

I.P.Daily Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Basically the following would basically disagree with you.
    Do you have an Uber web link that supports your supposedly basic information?;)
    uberX
    Everyday, affordable rides (seats 4)
    • Base Fare: None
    • Per Minute: $0.15
    • Per Mile: $0.90
    • Cancellation Fee: $5
    • Service Fees: $1.65
    • Minimum Fare: $5.15
    uberASSIST
    uberX with extra assistance (seats 4)
    • Base Fare: None
    • Per Minute: $0.15
    • Per Mile: $0.90
    • Cancellation Fee: $5
    • Service Fees: $1.65
    • Minimum Fare: $5.15

10. Mears Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi
    Actually a ride for Mr. Burch... would fall under the catagory of Uber Wave, the most unsuccessful uber service they have ever provided.. People like poor Timmy are forced to take taxis if there are any that are handicap accessible anymore. There are almost zero uber's available for those most vulnerable.

There are a great many taxis that have been custom modded just for people with those sorts of disabilities. All you have to do is start googling "wheelchair taxi" and you'll find dozens and dozens. With uber your lucky to find a driver to even pick you up with a folding wheelchair.

11. ryan137

ryan137 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    The supposed higher pay actually comes in the form of a 15% uber fee instead of 20 or 25%

12. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Well-Known Member

13. Ubergirlzz

Driving:
    UberX
    No, no... you misunderstand. It's not that the actual FARE is different. It's that Uber's cut is different. Supposedly (at least, that's what I was told), Uber takes 20% of your fare, vs. 25%. The pax isn't affected by the "assist."

14. Mears Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi
    OH...

Well if you don't have it in writing i'm afraid you fell for it hook line and sinker, plus they can always come back later and say they changed it.

My guess is that uber changed it since you did your training for it. Or watched the videos, whichever.

iUBERdc and Ubergirlzz like this.
  15. Mears Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi
    Timmy would probobly not end up being an uber customer/passenger.

He would have to be transported by someone who has the equipment necessary to handle a power wheelchair, most likely a non emergency medical transportation provider or a taxi company.

Uber has had virtually no luck with getting uberWave working by any sense of the term, and honestly Uber will probobly find that they have to contract with Taxi companies in order to actually provide service to people with these needs. Not providing service to someone because they have a riding wheelchair is not something that uber will be able to get away with forever. The ADA has been able to go against public demand to get what they want. The taxis had to be forced to provide these services and within a few years Uber will be as well. They only way they will actually be able to do this is by contracting with cab companies to provide services and subsidizing it down to uberX rates, as you can't charge more money for providing handicapable services. (that's against the law). By law if someone called for an uberwave it has to be 1-4 passengers for the same rate, if they have a lot of cargo you *might* be able to get it up to uberXL but personally I doubt you could win that argument.

Uber has tried to get these services up and running but it's just simply that the odds of getting a ride share driver to be coming onboard with a wheelchair van is near zero.

http://www.specialneedstravelmom.co...ney-world-with-a-wheelchair-or-special-needs/

The first pic is an example of what would be nessisary, this is FAR from a standard equiped van. It has a ramp on and tie down points for a riding wheelchair.

Also... vans like this loose the third row of seating for the ramp/lift.

16. CaliUberGirl

CaliUberGirl New Member

Screenshot_2016-10-31-13-38-25.png Screenshot_2016-10-31-13-00-51.png Screenshot_2016-10-28-09-14-31.png
    Uber screwed me out of this too...

iUBERdc likes this.
  17. jonhjax

jonhjax Active Member

In Florida if you drive a van larger than 8 passenger size for hire the van is required to have DOT registration with DOT numbers on it. The driver of the vehicle is also required to pass a DOT physical each year, I believe.