• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber asked how you feel about driving Pools

Transportador

Hey guys and gals, Uber kept sending us that stupid survey asking how we like driving Pools. Let's post your responses here please.

I'm totally bored and want a good laugh.

DirtyRead

Well unfortunately my feelings on pool have shifted some. In my case pool rides can be more profitable. With the rental car bonus afternoon surging pool rides from Sorrento Valley area are great. I usually get a full car, each rider pays a surge, they rarely go any further then Mira Mesa and I get 3 rides closer to the bonus in basically the same time as one longer ride. Having each rider paying a surge even a stupid pool rated surge takes some anger out pool rides.
Okay with that out the way I would gladly trade the small personal benefit of pool for the elimination of pool forever. Its not going to happen but I would still do it. Exspress Pool is the most dangerous thing since lead base painted toys and $1 beer night. Saturday it wanted Pax to stand on corner of Mira Meas Blvd and Adderman. For once these people had some brains and called asking if they could be picked up somewhere safer. I would not have stopped there in the first place. Pax are never in the right spot except when its the worst spot and ive seen some drivers stopping for them. Last time at the corner of Rosecrances and Sports Arena.
Anyways I have red hair so I don't any pool.

Transportador

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
LOL, what does red hair have to do with it?
Post automatically merged:

My response to them has always been:

Uber you know your fare structure on Pool is illegal as hell. It's just a matter of time some Taxi lobbyist is going to sue you for it. Nobody in the industry gets to take in potentially four fares and pay the driver based on 1. I am sure you don't care since you spend the extra you make on pools to pay your lawyers anyway. Quit asking me every two months how I feel about pool.

DirtyRead

LOL, what does red hair have to do with it?

My response to them has always been:

Uber you know your fare structure on Pool is illegal as hell. It's just a matter of time some Taxi lobbyist is going to sue you for it. Nobody in the industry gets to take in potentially four fares and pay the driver based on 1. I am sure you don't care since you spend the extra you make on pools to pay your lawyers anyway. Quit asking me every two months how I feel about pool.
Sun burns when I go to an actual pool and just flat out burned by uber pools.

Null

Drivers collectively ruin demand by taking pools. You ruin it for others and others ruin it for you. Every pool ride add could have been another occupied car. Uber bills per rider, you get paid for one aggregate trip.

The surge on each add is generally half the first. Uber's collecting full pool rates from each pax, Uber makes money hand over fist when you take pools with a significant route overlap.

I can appreciate the circumstance you're in with the rental bonus. However, I think if you were to tally the overhead involved with adds, I don't think it improves your overall trip rate to where it makes a significant improvement on the speed at which you reach the goal. Further, if you typically exceed the goal, attaining the goal faster doesn't bear any significance.

Also remember, that Pool pays significantly less per minute/mile on the base rate factor. You typically need to drive 15% further than an X ride to make he same amount. If you think about it, the bonus on an add gets you close to where an X would have been.

Do the math, pools blow.

DirtyRead

Drivers collectively ruin demand by taking pools. You ruin it for others and others ruin it for you. Every pool ride add could have been another occupied car. Uber bills per rider, you get paid for one aggregate trip.

The surge on each add is generally half the first. Uber's collecting full pool rates from each pax, Uber makes money hand over fist when you take pools with a significant route overlap.

I can appreciate the circumstance you're in with the rental bonus. However, I think if you were to tally the overhead involved with adds, I don't think it improves your overall trip rate to where it makes a significant improvement on the speed at which you reach the goal. Further, if you typically exceed the goal, attaining the goal faster doesn't bear any significance.

Also remember, that Pool pays significantly less per minute/mile on the base rate factor. You typically need to drive 15% further than an X ride to make he same amount. If you think about it, the bonus on an add gets you close to where an X would have been.

Do the math, pools blow.
I've done my math. I don't worry about Ubers math. Would of(s) and could of(s) don't keep me up at night. Reaching my bonus fast does make a difference and it makes little difference if anyone feels different.

CJfrom619

Do the math, pools blow.
What the math doesn’t account for is downtime. Time spent without a rider in your car. When you turn down every single pool ride then your spending more time without a rider in your car.

When your in a remote area where pings aren’t coming in every 2 minutes and you have to maybe sit for 10-15 minutes for a request...and you get a residential ping with a good rating but realize its a pool. Your telling me that your turning down that request to potentially sit another 5-15 for a ride that’s gonna net you 10% more then the previous. That’s a mistake in my book.

The other thing about pool rides you need to factor in is that these rides tend to be longer rides especially when your in terrible locations ( DT, PB etc.) A rider taking an short ride in DT is always gonna take a UberX since the price difference isn’t significant but a rider taking a ride out of DT might go with the cheaper pool option.

I like taking pools because those can be longer rides. Sometimes you can get a significant discount. If Uber quotes me $10 for a ride or $21. The only downside is it might take longer and you might have to share the ride with someone else. Alot of people will go with the cheaper ride. I experiment all the time by getting estimates in the riders app just to see what the difference can be in that area. I was sitting in la jolla last night waiting for a ride. I checked the app to see that a DT ride was $8 in a pool and $19 for an X. A few minutes later i get a pool ride to DT. Coincidence? probably but i like to take advantage of every thing available.

A huge rule of making good money while driving is staying busy with riders in your car. Turning down every pool ride compromises that rule significantly.

859DFD77-24D2-4D8B-AC0D-E0A1D92656CA.png
E142CFF4-88B6-4477-99F2-0459C1467412.png
218A05F1-C40B-4DD6-9816-F1948151728C.png

I just took these screenshots from the rider app 2 seconds ago. When Uber throws these kind of prices in your face. Wether you have money or not. Alot will go with the significant discount. I would almost feel snobby taking a $33 ride that was offered to me at $13 only to have to share the car with 1 or 2 other strangers. I can see why Uber/Lyft are so popular. You can get a ride from Lakeside to the Hotel Del for $17. That exact same ride in a taxi would run you $90. Sometimes people are just smarter not cheaper.

Last edited:

Transportador

Hey guys, so what did you tell Uber when they ask how you feel about Pool? Some smart ass answers for our amusement please.

ApacheChop

Do the math, pools blow.
most def..... pool Blows!

Null

What the math doesn’t account for is downtime. Time spent without a rider in your car. When you turn down every single pool ride then your spending more time without a rider in your car.

When your in a remote area where pings aren’t coming in every 2 minutes and you have to maybe sit for 10-15 minutes for a request...and you get a residential ping with a good rating but realize its a pool. Your telling me that your turning down that request to potentially sit another 5-15 for a ride that’s gonna net you 10% more then the previous. That’s a mistake in my book.

The other thing about pool rides you need to factor in is that these rides tend to be longer rides especially when your in terrible locations ( DT, PB etc.) A rider taking an short ride in DT is always gonna take a UberX since the price difference isn’t significant but a rider taking a ride out of DT might go with the cheaper pool option.

I like taking pools because those can be longer rides. Sometimes you can get a significant discount. If Uber quotes me $10 for a ride or $21. The only downside is it might take longer and you might have to share the ride with someone else. Alot of people will go with the cheaper ride. I experiment all the time by getting estimates in the riders app just to see what the difference can be in that area. I was sitting in la jolla last night waiting for a ride. I checked the app to see that a DT ride was $8 in a pool and $19 for an X. A few minutes later i get a pool ride to DT. Coincidence? probably but i like to take advantage of every thing available.

A huge rule of making good money while driving is staying busy with riders in your car. Turning down every pool ride compromises that rule significantly.

View attachment 320370View attachment 320371View attachment 320372

I just took these screenshots from the rider app 2 seconds ago. When Uber throws these kind of prices in your face. Wether you have money or not. Alot will go with the significant discount. I would almost feel snobby taking a $33 ride that was offered to me at $13 only to have to share the car with 1 or 2 other strangers. I can see why Uber/Lyft are so popular. You can get a ride from Lakeside to the Hotel Del for $17. That exact same ride in a taxi would run you $90. Sometimes people are just smarter not cheaper.
My objection isn't to pools wholesale, but to pool adds. Strategic pool can be OK but the adds almost never provide good value. Pickup one and done.

DirtyRead

Here is an actual suggestion to Uber regarding pool. After the first pax if there are more requested in area along route gives us a route map with dots signifying other pool request. Then as the driver you could choose the more convenient or logical add on.

Transportador

My objection isn't to pools wholesale, but to pool adds. Strategic pool can be OK but the adds almost never provide good value. Pickup one and done.
Yeah, we should pick up add ons only if they extend the ride distance. Would be nice to know ahead, but it's destination obscurity as always with Uber.

DirtyRead

Yeah, we should pick up add ons only if they extend the ride distance. Would be nice to know ahead, but it's destination obscurity as always with Uber.
"Clearly obscurity is our specialty. I thought I was pretty transparent about that. Anyway feel free to ask me anything. I have an open door policy........ Please shut and lock the door on your way out."

Transportador

"Clearly obscurity is our specialty. I thought I was pretty transparent about that. Anyway feel free to ask me anything. I have an open door policy........ Please shut and lock the door on your way out."
Yes, an even your navigation app hides the true location of the passengers and their houses, LOL.

You know I should drive a stealth car, just so pax can't see it when I pick them up so I can make more money on waiting time, hehehe.

Do the math, pools blow.
Exactly. Pool eliminates the potential for more surge rides. With ONE driver taking 4-5 passengers to thier destination, the demand for drivers in the area goes way down.......sure, uber charges a smaller fare but they still make money off those rides and save money by not needing to post surge pricing....I no longer take pool request unless a big surge depends on it. If im forced to take a pool request, i make a point of taking as much time as possible.