Uber Argentina Turns to Bitcoin to Evade Government Crackdown

u-Boat

More proof that uber is a criminal enterprise. If your business model is to break the law at will, then pressure local governments to bend to your will, how is uber any different from the mafia or a drug cartel?
Govts utilizing legislation that protects special interests and eliminates competition in the name of "public safety" is criminal. I'm amazed at the abundance of anti-uBer, pro-regulation sentiment on this forum. Take a look around. Most Govts are corrupt. Yet the answer is more Govt and more regulation? No thanks.

ATX 22

Govts utilizing legislation that protects special interests and eliminates competition in the name of "public safety" is criminal. I'm amazed at the abundance of anti-uBer, pro-regulation sentiment on this forum. Take a look around. Most Govts are corrupt. Yet the answer is more Govt and more regulation? No thanks.
You guys who think the free market works best with no regulation seem to forget how economic meltdowns start. Regulations are necessary to protect the average citizen and worker from the predatory corporation.
I didn't advocate for more regulation, I pointed out that uber blatantly breaks written laws, then buys one or more of the corrupt government politicians to get a special set of rules written just for them, so they gain a competitive advantage. Pull your head out of the sand and realize that no regulation is far more dangerous for the common person.

u-Boat

I didn't advocate for more regulation, I pointed out that uber blatantly breaks written laws, then buys one or more of the corrupt government politicians to get a special set of rules written just for them, so they gain a competitive advantage. Pull your head out of the sand and realize that no regulation is far more dangerous for the common person.
You pull your head out of the sand. Buying politicians is exactly what the cab and limo lobby has been doing for years! uBer, while not perfect, at least provides "the common person" with the legal license to operate and make a living without a special set of rules benefitting your entitled, antiquated taxi and limo cartel.

I'll take corporate competition over corrupt, Gov't sponsored cronyism any day of the week. And If uBer is indeed a bad business model they will ultimately fail or get swallowed up by competition, so long as Govt allows the free market to run its natural course. Free market works best with minimal, common sense regulation not zero regulation.

phillipzx3

You pull your head out of the sand. Buying politicians is exactly what the cab and limo lobby has been doing for years! uBer, while not perfect, at least provides "the common person" with the legal license to operate and make a living without a special set of rules benefitting your entitled, antiquated taxi and limo cartel.

I'll take corporate competition over corrupt, Gov't sponsored cronyism any day of the week. And If uBer is indeed a bad business model they will ultimately fail or get swallowed up by competition, so long as Govt allows the free market to run its natural course. Free market works best with minimal, common sense regulation not zero regulation.
There's only three main differences between the taxi industry and Uber.

1. Taxi's are branded. Uber isn't.
2. Uber drivers and passengers are subsidized via "investors" money. Cabs have no such funding.
3. Cabs are forced to follow city regulations. Uber isn't.

Gung-Ho

Bitcoins remind me of the old ticking time bomb toy. Wind it up pass it around until it goes BOOM!!! Some poor saps are gonna be stuck with a lot of worthless nothing someday.

And to the weasels who keep defending uber's right to exist unregulated because of taxi/limo's "having politicians in their pocket and cronyism" go screw. Being a highly regulated business is a pain in the azz sometimes but it's the price of doing business. Antiquated as it is...what else is antiquated in your eyes. How about liquor licenses? Licenses for tradesmen? Hey why do we even need drivers licenses? Just another government fleecing of the public. Hey let's just unregulated everything and make it one giant free for all. I'll start by offering brain surgery for $100 a pop..who needs a stupid degree I can read how to do it in a book and have at it. And oh boy look at the savings for the consumer. It would be a much better world that way and remember no one is forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to so no malpractice insurance if anything goes wrong.

u-Boat

There's only three main differences between the taxi industry and Uber.

1. Taxi's are branded. Uber isn't.
2. Uber drivers and passengers are subsidized via "investors" money. Cabs have no such funding.
3. Cabs are forced to follow city regulations. Uber isn't.
1. Not sure what you mean by "branded". All rideshare vehicles are required to slap a sticker on their windshields while in operation. There's your branding.
2. I'm an uBer driver. I can assure you to this date I've received exactly zero dollars from investor funding.
3. To which "city" regulations are you specifically referring? While operating as an uBer driver in my state I'm required by law to have the following: proof of valid license and registration, proof of TNC insurance, current annual vehicle inspection, & current bi-annual DOT physical exam.What more do you need to drive people around? My personal biometric data stored unnecessarily & insecurely in a local, state, or Federal Govt database for the purpose of "public safety"?

Here's a thought. Don't feel safe using uBer? Don't use uBer.

u-Boat

Bitcoins remind me of the old ticking time bomb toy. Wind it up pass it around until it goes BOOM!!! Some poor saps are gonna be stuck with a lot of worthless nothing someday.
You mean like the U.S. real estate market in 2008? Or the American dollar in the not too near future? No stock or currency is immune. Diversify.

Gung-Ho

I don't put no sticker on my windshield. No one seems to mind or care or even question it. Great diligence on driver compliance I would say not. What else could I get away with I wonder. A photoshopped picture of my insurances/registration? Probably.

Gung-Ho

You mean like the U.S. real estate market in 2008? Or the American dollar in the not too near future? No stock or currency is immune. Diversify.
Talking to loan agents back in the day it was obvious to anybody who was paying attention that the real estate bubble was going to bust. People using their home equity as an atm. Refinancing often to pull money out.No proof of earnings to get a mortgage. Values going through the roof. No surprises there. People have been predicting the collapse of the dollar since the 80's someday they may actually be correct.

forqalso

2. I'm an uBer driver. I can assure you to this date I've received exactly zero dollars from investor funding.
I guess you're not in a market with $500 weekly incentives, if you aren't receiving investor funding. Every week that I qualify, I net more than I gross. The money has got to be coming from some place.

ChortlingCrison

1. Not sure what you mean by "branded". All rideshare vehicles are required to slap a sticker on their windshields while in operation. There's your branding.
3. To which "city" regulations are you specifically referring? While operating as an uBer driver in my state I'm required by law to have the following: proof of valid license and registration, proof of TNC insurance, current annual vehicle inspection, & current bi-annual DOT physical exam.What more do you need to drive people around? My personal biometric data stored unnecessarily & insecurely in a local, state, or Federal Govt database for the purpose of "public safety"?

Here's a thought. Don't feel safe using uBer? Don't use uBer.
This is just an uberite that Travis has brainwashed into to thinking that taxis should be regulated and uber is a special snowflake. All rideshare vehicles should have signs on the top of their cars just like taxis. Why are tnc drivers so special.

Uber/lyft would not be able to compete with these low prices, if the the regulators would level the playing field.

u-Boat

I don't put no sticker on my windshield. No one seems to mind or care or even question it. Great diligence on driver compliance I would say not. What else could I get away with I wonder. A photoshopped picture of my insurances/registration? Probably.
"No one" seems to care... that is until you get targeted for a compliance sting. Then "several" people will care you that don't have a sticker on your windshield - the law, uBer and YOU especially when you get a fat fine. If you're naive enough to forge insurance documents then you're also naive enough to think you can get away with it.

u-Boat

This is just an uberite that Travis has brainwashed into to thinking that taxis should be regulated and uber is a special snowflake. All rideshare vehicles should have signs on the top of their cars just like taxis. Why are tnc drivers so special.

Uber/lyft would not be able to compete with these low prices, if the the regulators would level the playing field.
Lmao. uBerite. I assure you I'm no uBerite (whatever that means). I drove cab for 10 years, had my own limo business for 2 years, and have been rolling uBer the past 3 years. From my own experience the TNC model is by far the most efficient compromise between safety, financial accountability, regulation compliance, and a "level playing field" in the transportation business. I actually made more money driving cab and limo but the hours were brutal. The flexibility and popularity of TNC cannot be matched so it's here to stay. Like it or not.

Having said that, I'm definitely no uBer schill. I encourage maximum competition and minimal regulation for cabs, limos and TNC's alike. I agree, level the playing field. Then I can offer my driving services to the highest bidder in a true free market.

tohunt4me

And to the weasels who keep defending uber's right to exist unregulated because of taxi/limo's "having politicians in their pocket and cronyism" go screw. Being a highly regulated business is a pain in the azz sometimes but it's the price of doing business. Antiquated as it is...what else is antiquated in your eyes. How about liquor licenses? Licenses for tradesmen? Hey why do we even need drivers licenses? Just another government fleecing of the public. Hey let's just unregulated everything and make it one giant free for all. I'll start by offering brain surgery for $100 a pop..who needs a stupid degree I can read how to do it in a book and have at it. And oh boy look at the savings for the consumer. It would be a much better world that way and remember no one is forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to so no malpractice insurance if anything goes wrong.
The currency of most nations is in a similar situation.

With excessive printing by " Federal" Reserve,Bitcoin may be more " Sustainable".

ATX 22

We agree on the last part of your comment. Here's the biggest issue for me: Uber plays the "taxi cartel" and monopoly card, when in fact, the majority of licensed operators are local businesses, not a multinational, multi billion dollar company that seeks to have a worldwide monopoly. I have read your other comments on this thread, and we are more often in agreement than I initially thought.
My biggest issues with uber are their constant race for the bottom and their blatant deceptive advertising. I'm glad you're doing well with them, I was for several months, then they lowered the rates in my city to levels that didn't sustain my time investment and additional insurance I was carrying. They've pulled out of Austin now, because they lost a referendum election they forced about what the local regulations would be. There's true competition in the TNC market here, now, not the duopoly of uber/lyft vs taxis. As for me, I am driving for a local limo service now, working less and making more than I did running both uber and lyft.

Hmmm...so you paid satan's expense to onboard you as a driver...never got any guarantee money...didn't get a signup bonus...and never got a single free ride passenger that you got paid for but they didn't pay for? If that's all true your statement is correct.

Fuzzyelvis

Lmao. uBerite. I assure you I'm no uBerite (whatever that means). I drove cab for 10 years, had my own limo business for 2 years, and have been rolling uBer the past 3 years. From my own experience the TNC model is by far the most efficient compromise between safety, financial accountability, regulation compliance, and a "level playing field" in the transportation business. I actually made more money driving cab and limo but the hours were brutal. The flexibility and popularity of TNC cannot be matched so it's here to stay. Like it or not.

Having said that, I'm definitely no uBer schill. I encourage maximum competition and minimal regulation for cabs, limos and TNC's alike. I agree, level the playing field. Then I can offer my driving services to the highest bidder in a true free market.
There won't be any highest bidders for anything but the luxury market because there are unlimited numbers of drivers desperate enough to work for nothing.