Uber - Approved cars for NJ

Takoateli

If this has been answered definitively elsewhere then I'm sorry for starting a new thread on this topic. I did find some tangential posts and read those.

What I am trying to define is what cars are acceptable (an unacceptable) for UberX and XL.

Uber's info for NJ states:

Uber XL:
  • 4-door vehicle with independently opening passenger doors
  • Have 7 factory-installed seats and seat belts
  • Working windows and air conditioning
  • No vans, box trucks, or similar vehicles
  • No taxi cabs, government cars, or other marked vehicles
  • No salvaged or rebuilt vehicles
  • No aftermarket seating modifications, such as installed seats, seat belts, or BedRyder systems Model Year: 2003 or newer
  • Insurance: Personal or commercial vehicle insurance with at least $30,000 in coverage, with the driver's name on the insurance policy
Most SUVs qualify to drive with uberXL. See our list of popular models, but others may qualify.

It's the last line "most SUVs qualify" and "others may qualify" that leave me feeling uncertain.

I'm interested in some vehicles which aren't on Uber's list of Uber's "popular models" list for NJ.

Is the best thing to go to a Greenlight Spot and ask?

I wish it was easier to contact Uber about things like this.

mwgdc

I have an SUV not on the list of popular models with 3 row seating and had no trouble getting it approved for XL and PLUS.

Takoateli

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have an SUV not on the list of popular models with 3 row seating and had no trouble getting it approved for XL and PLUS.
Thanks! Since I'm going to be buying and want to make sure I'll be OK I guess I'll check in with the Greenlight Spot.

DerBundes

...Most SUVs qualify to drive with uberXL. See our list of popular models, but others may qualify.

It's the last line "most SUVs qualify" and "others may qualify" that leave me feeling uncertain.
I wish it was easier to contact Uber about things like this.
Are you seriously considering incurring in such a expense for rideshare purposes?! When I got my Escalade, went to the office in LIC:
“It’s a nice vehicle BUT, is not black-on-black. You’re welcome to do pools or XL.” to which I replied
“Will you pay for the paint and new black leather?!”
I just returned the plates, I’m sorry.

PorkRollUberAndCheese

Almost all minivans and third row SUVs qualify for XL. The rule is, you need at least seven factory installed seatbelts. You can't add seating yourself.

it also has to be within the last 10 model years to be on the safe side. Uber changed the age limit of cars, but I'd keep it from 2009+ so you don't age out.

Unless you have an absolute need for a new car, do not buy new.

HudsonDriver4Hire

Unless you have an absolute need for a new car, do not buy new.
This.

Stick to a reliable, low-maintenance (Toyota/Honda) 7-seater with decent miles and history under $5K. I recently bought one, at a steal, that I only bring out for events, Fri/Sat bar closings, holidays, and surging EWR nights. It disqualifies end of '19, but it's already halfway paid for itself + insurance.

Takoateli

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the feedback. I'm going to go with a 7 seater that gets good mileage. Not an SUV. Also I assume that it's better to spend around 10k. At around 5k they're all high mileage (well over 100k). I'd rather pay more and hopefully have reliability and not have to cover any big repairs. At around 10k I can find something with 60k to 80k miles on it. Though maybe with a 5k vehicle + some repairs down the road it might end up being the same or less.

CYP

Ill preface this with I kind of skimmed this post. I drive a Dodge Journey, 7 seats, the back is a bit tight but 7 seats and seat belts. Not all Journeys have the 3rd row. 4 cylinder so gets decent gas mileage but really no pickup and go.

Takoateli

Thanks everyone.

I went to the Uber Hub/Greenlight Spot in Secaucus yesterday. When I enquired about cars for XL service which won't get rejected the guy that helped me first directed me to the list of approved cars for NYC and said I better stick to that, then he went ahead and asked a higher up and the that guy said any vehicle with a third row (seating for 6 pax) would be OK.

I'm looking at the Kia Sorento, Kia Sedona and the Nissan Rogue.

PorkRollUberAndCheese

Thanks everyone.

I went to the Uber Hub/Greenlight Spot in Secaucus yesterday. When I enquired about cars for XL service which won't get rejected the guy that helped me first directed me to the list of approved cars for NYC and said I better stick to that, then he went ahead and asked a higher up and the that guy said any vehicle with a third row (seating for 6 pax) would be OK.

I'm looking at the Kia Sorento, Kia Sedona and the Nissan Rogue.
Rogue has an INSANELY small third row. Sorento is better but you can take almost no cargo with the third row. Better off with the Sedona.

Adieu

That 10k vs 5k thing will eat anything you gained in gas mileage

And not all vehicles are created equally.

A truck-based beast like a Suburban or Expedition with ~150k on the clock is just getting started... while many other vehicles are almost done by then.

One tip: 2wd versions get +2-3 mpg