Uber app overwrites EVERYTHING

stpetej

I haven't driven in awhile, so yesterday I uninstalled Uber app and installed the new version. Running Android v. 8, Verizon 9, Galaxy S7. The new app is drawing over everything, even when I'm not online; email, texts, settings, anything I try to do. I try "close all" and everything appears to close, but seconds later up pops Uber. I double checked settings and I have not given it permission to draw over. The only way to make it go away is to restart phone.

Called support, guy was clueless (no surprises here), so I asked for tech support. Tech support guy puts me on hold, comes back and tells me nope, he can't help me. Didn't even ask questions or make suggestion to check settings.

Tech support guy then tells me I should take phone back to store where I bought it 4 years ago. And do what? He doesn't know. Then he says I should take to the Hub. I asked did he really expect the Hub lady to fix it if he can't?

Makes me crazy that Uber's line is they're only a software company. I developed software for 23 years and have never seen crap like this actually released to the public. Any ideas?

BTW, I have Lyft and Mystro loaded. Do you think they know and are, therefore, messing with me?

MHR

There's a setting (in phone settings) where you can select ”allow to draw over other apps”.

Make sure that's unselected and not your problem.

krbjmpr

I use Maxymo, and will get a similar experience if I don't log out of Maxymo. It will keep opening U/L apps because it's looking for them to monitor.

DougTheUberDriver

There's a setting (in phone settings) where you can select ”allow to draw over other apps”.

i think you need it to be selected so you can get pings when you dont have the app up, like if you are parked browsign the internet. that is how i understand how it works.

MHR

i think you need it to be selected so you can get pings when you dont have the app up, like if you are parked browsign the internet. that is how i understand how it works.
It also allows the floaty button to be present.
Both correct.

Doug, you'll still get pings, it just won't pop up over whatever other app you might using.

I was tossing that out as a troubleshooting step, not as a fix. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

stpetej

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought so, as well.
Post automatically merged:

Thank you, that was my first thought. It's off.

krbjmpr

Wondering if OP has made any progress...

On my phone, Android 7, if I restart, Android will launch apps that were running at time of restart. If I turn off, and then turn on, then I am able to start with a clean slate without previous apps being started.

stpetej

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah, that was one of the first things I checked. It's off. But thanks!

Reactions: MHR