Uber app asked me if I wanted to be paired with a rider going towards my home?

Phatzman

Last night when I went offline, I recieved this notification for the 1st time ever and only that one time (see pic attachment)

I didn't do it as I was just taking a quick break to report an item left in my backseat. I haven't been able to find the "Set a Destination" option in my app. I read before it was something they did in the past?

Attachments

simpsonsverytall

Has anyone had success with it?

I used it once. - Was in DC and set the destination as Annapolis.
Said "we are attempting to match you" or similar
Got a 5 min trip within DC.

Maybe my parameters were beyond the scope of the new filter.

Euius

Has anyone had success with it?

I used it once. - Was in DC and set the destination as Annapolis.
Said "we are attempting to match you" or similar
Got a 5 min trip within DC.

Maybe my parameters were beyond the scope of the new filter.
Uber's destination filter works very well, if you understand how it's operating:

First, it's not guaranteeing a ride will take you to your destination, but rather toward your destination. I normally use this to go across the Bay Bridge to or from SF. This means when I'm in the far west of SF, any ride I get will always go east, but not necessarily across the bridge

Second, if you're moving then you'll need to be the closest car to the requester just like normal, but if you input the filter and then park and stop, the range you can go for a pickup increases over time. For normal unfiltered rides, this is a bad thing but for filtered rides it's a good one, as it dramatically increases the chance of actually getting a ride.

Third, it doesn't work if you're anywhere near an airport, even outside the queue. The app actually says it, but it's easy to miss or forget.

Lyft's equivalent is far worse, notably in that it will only match you to LyftLine rides, never normal ones. It treats the driver as if they are another passenger on a LyftLine.

simpsonsverytall

Uber's destination filter works very well, if you understand how it's operating:

First, it's not guaranteeing a ride will take you to your destination, but rather toward your destination. I normally use this to go across the Bay Bridge to or from SF. This means when I'm in the far west of SF, any ride I get will always go east, but not necessarily across the bridge

Second, if you're moving then you'll need to be the closest car to the requester just like normal, but if you input the filter and then park and stop, the range you can go for a pickup increases over time. For normal unfiltered rides, this is a bad thing but for filtered rides it's a good one, as it dramatically increases the chance of actually getting a ride.

Third, it doesn't work if you're anywhere near an airport, even outside the queue. The app actually says it, but it's easy to miss or forget.

Lyft's equivalent is far worse, notably in that it will only match you to LyftLine rides, never normal ones. It treats the driver as if they are another passenger on a LyftLine.
Thanks, good to know.

I will try the 'park and stop' method next time.

In my only attempt at using it, I was moving.
The ride may have been 'toward' my destination but only about a mile or so. All told, the trip delayed my return by about 25 minutes and earned me a minimum fare.
I'll try the 'park and stop' and give it some more attempts before I give up on it.

DriverX

So your theory is that if the car is moving the request zone is scaled down. interesting. and is this only when the filter is on?

I've gotten many 12+ minute requests while cruising down the freeway so I don't see any empiracle data to support the theory, however we don't have the filter in my market. I can only attest to the experience of cruising at 85mph and getting 15 minute requests.

Another Uber Driver

It has asked me that both on UberX and Uber Taxi when I tried to sign out.

Another thing about which you must be careful is that "going home" trips do not count toward any quota. Thus, if you are one trip short of your quota, run another regular trip before you set the destination filter.

Adieu

I'd had it pop up a couple time on aSELECt ONLY profile --- if I agreed, would it beselect or opening myself up to pool and X???