Uber and Lyft surge pricing bill dies

LA Dispatcher

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-essential-poli-uber-and-lyft-surge-pricing-bill-dies-1461112198-htmlstory.html

An effort by a state senator to regulate surge pricing by Uber, Lyft and other ridesharing companies failed in a Senate committee Tuesday.

State Sen. Ben Hueso (D-San Diego) said that his bill, which would also have beefed up background checks on ridesharing drivers and increased enforcement of ridesharing rules, would protect drivers and consumers from predatory pricing and potential harm. He predicted tragedies would occur without more rules.

“The blood is going to be on our hands,” Hueso said.

This politician is a real character. His brothers own the largest fleet of taxis in San Diego.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-ben-hueso-taxi-industry-uber-lyft-20160311-story.html

One of the two bills bottled up in Hueso’s committee would formally exempt drivers from companies such as Uber and Lyft from needing commercial license plates, making it easier for people to work for the services and save drivers money.
USA Cab, owned by Hueso’s brothers Alfredo and Jose Antonio, has in fact joined other San Diego taxi businesses in suing the state to force regulators to make rideshare drivers register for those plates.

Ben Hueso said he was not aware of the lawsuit, and that it had no influence on his position on the legislation.

Last edited:

tohunt4me

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-essential-poli-uber-and-lyft-surge-pricing-bill-dies-1461112198-htmlstory.html

An effort by a state senator to regulate surge pricing by Uber, Lyft and other ridesharing companies failed in a Senate committee Tuesday.

State Sen. Ben Hueso (D-San Diego) said that his bill, which would also have beefed up background checks on ridesharing drivers and increased enforcement of ridesharing rules, would protect drivers and consumers from predatory pricing and potential harm. He predicted tragedies would occur without more rules.

“The blood is going to be on our hands,” Hueso said.

This politician is a real character. His brothers own the largest fleet of taxis in San Diego.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-ben-hueso-taxi-industry-uber-lyft-20160311-story.html

One of the two bills bottled up in Hueso’s committee would formally exempt drivers from companies such as Uber and Lyft from needing commercial license plates, making it easier for people to work for the services and save drivers money.
USA Cab, owned by Hueso’s brothers Alfredo and Jose Antonio, has in fact joined other San Diego taxi businesses in suing the state to force regulators to make rideshare drivers register for those plates.

Ben Hueso said he was not aware of the lawsuit, and that it had no influence on his position on the legislation.
Let them " regulate" the price of gasoline first.

XUberMike

Blood from surge pricing, that's a first.

His brothers and their cab companies should let Uber surge away.

Figures government wanting to regulate the prices of private companies for voluntary services.

HEY PAL, NO ONE HAS TO UBER, MAKE YOUR PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION BETTER, BETTER YET HAVE YOUR BROS LOWER THEIR CABBIE PRICES.

Tedgey

lamepcben.jpg

Here's the "honorable" Ben Hueso, the man concerned about getting blood on the hands of the state legislature if they don't further regulate ride share drivers, a man who acts solely out of desire to keep our roadways safe, here's a bloodshot Ben Hueso getting his photo taken for DUI.

Thanks for looking out for me Ben.

XUberMike

View attachment 36541

Here's the "honorable" Ben Hueso, the man concerned about getting blood on the hands of the state legislature if they don't further regulate ride share drivers, a man who acts solely out of desire to keep our roadways safe, here's a bloodshot Ben Hueso getting his photo taken for DUI.

Cheapskate should have paid the Uber surge, better yet where was damn brothers?

LA Dispatcher

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why shouldn't Uber drivers pay for commercial plates?
Because those costs will be passed on to pax and it will also lower demand for Uber/Lyft because of the higher prices. Pax can assess the risk for themselves whenever they enter a vehicle without commercial plates. They do it everyday of their lives. It will also destroy part-time drivers since they are not likely to invest in commercial plates for the few hours that they drive.

Last edited:

eman1122

I doubt Uber will "pass the cost" on to the pax. If anything, Uber will declare that we are "independent contractors" and drivers will have to eat the cost just like any other expense we endure such as gas, maintenance, etc. If anything, Uber will cut rates under their usual guise of creating more demand and therefore increasing drivers earning potential. It's their typical cycle. Wash, rinse, repeat.

second2noone

I doubt Uber will "pass the cost" on to the pax. If anything, Uber will declare that we are "independent contractors" and drivers will have to eat the cost just like any other expense we endure such as gas, maintenance, etc. If anything, Uber will cut rates under their usual guise of creating more demand and therefore increasing drivers earning potential. It's their typical cycle. Wash, rinse, repeat.
someone will have to pay...defintely not fuber. they will pass (unlike your picture Kobe) the costs onto the driver or the pax. most likely the driver since fuber loves us so much

Optimus Uber

View attachment 36541

Nothing better than having a drunk proposing legislation for the safety of the road.

Maybe he should be working with MADD. To get pieces of shot like him off the road. Before he kills an innocent person and their blood is on his hands

LA Dispatcher

Drivers will eat the costs only if they are dumb like the .90 cent drivers. What will happen is that smart drivers will have to cover the additional cost by only accept rides that are profitable which will make prices surge uncontrollably and fewer pax will request rides. This will do serious damage to the industry.

observer

Because those costs will be passed on to pax and it will also lower demand for Uber/Lyft because of the higher prices. Pax can assess the risk for themselves whenever they enter a vehicle without commercial plates. They do it everyday of their lives. It will also destroy part-time drivers since they are not likely to invest in commercial plates for the few hours that they drive.
Any idea how much the plates cost?

LA Dispatcher

Any idea how much the plates cost?
Not sure, but I assume that you would probably need commercial insurance with those plates and commercial insurance is about 3-4 times the price of regular insurance. Regardless of price the issue is once they start to nickel and dime you, they won't stop until they completely destroy the TNC model. Uber and Lyft will survive, but IC drivers will be hardest hit with less revenue and razor thin profits unless they end up as minimum wage employees. All power drivers will eventually be squeezed out since it won't be worth their time. Be careful what you wish for.

GooberX

Irrelevant.

It's a commercial endeavor.

They should be forced to follow same rules.

observer

Not sure, but I assume that you would probably need commercial insurance with those plates and commercial insurance is about 3-4 times the price of regular insurance. Regardless of price the issue is once they start to nickel and dime you, they won't stop until they completely destroy the TNC model. Uber and Lyft will survive, but IC drivers will be hardest hit with less revenue and razor thin profits unless they end up as minimum wage employees. All power drivers will eventually be squeezed out since it won't be worth their time. Be careful what you wish for.
From what I've read, it's around 90 bux. I used to pay 25 for my van but that was about 20 years ago.

Commercial plates will tip off the insurance company but you are already required to have TNC coverage anyway.

One benefit of having commercial plates is you can use the yellow loading and unloading zones temporarily.

Ubering is a commercial activity, why shouldn't drivers pay legitimate expenses?

(This is an old topic BTW, I'm just bringing up the questions for benefit of newer members).

LA Dispatcher

Ubering is a commercial activity, why shouldn't drivers pay legitimate expenses?

(This is an old topic BTW, I'm just bringing up the questions for benefit of newer members).
Because it doesn't benefit the public. If prices go up, they will be less likely to use the service and they might get behind the wheel intoxicated and hurt someone. You do have a point as far as why we are carving special exemptions for TNC drivers but two wrongs don't make a right in my opinion. On top of all of this, more tax revenue is created since we have new sources of income.

observer

Because it doesn't benefit the public. If prices go up, they will be less likely to use the service and they might get behind the wheel and hurt someone. You do have a point as far as why we are carving special exemptions for TNC drivers but two wrongs don't make a right in my opinion. On top of all of this, more tax revenue is created since we have new sources of income.
Paying for commercial plates definitely benefit the public. That is a tax that is going unpaid for use of public roads and services. 90 bux X however many thousands of drivers would equal millions of dollars for public projects.

If commercial plates are eliminated for Uber drivers, they should just eliminate it for everyone.

Uber doesn't have a lot of profit, most of it's money is sent to overseas tax havens.

There is minimal creation of new sources of income. All Uber is doing is shifting money going into various pockets, into its own pocket.

There is no innovation here. Just good old capitalism and greed.

grams777

Author
Commercial plates in themselves are not usually that bad. The consequences are the problem. The biggest problem can be it triggers a Car Fax event on your car for commercial / livery / taxi use. That's a big hit on resale value.

Then it may trigger a commercial insurance issue depending on your location.

Then it may link to a business license requirement (as it does in Nashville
for example).

Then that may link to a business property tax against the car each year (Nashville also).

In some places though, you can just get commercial plates and nothing else is required.